2004 Cayenne (Newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 PM
trentcoleman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cayenne (Newbie)

Hey guys,

I have read other posts and yes I am new to the board. I have never owned a porsche before but I'm looking at a 2004 Cayenne S with 72k miles. Looked at it tonight and it seems to be in good condition and the price is reasonable. My first of many questions for you guys is there is an "!" light on the dashboard that I'm not sure what it means. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on this for me.

Other advice/suggestions are welcomed. Have a good weekend and thanks in advance.

TC
Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Danger, Will Robinson.

Or, it could need gas. Nah, Danger, danger, danger. It's a warning light. Comes on if you are low on gas, or if you are in deep doo-doo. Don't buy it until you figure out why the message if firing, and don't count on it needing gas.

When you first start the engine, there may be a message telling of the problem. This message is replaced by the "!" after a few seconds.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scroll through the menu in the Dash panel and it should tell you the warning message.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this vehicle being sold by a Porsche dealer?
Do you have it's service history?
Any warranty?
Please define good condition and reasonable price?
Trim level? V6, V8, Turbo?
Options installed?

Any other messages displayed on the dash MFD besides "!" ?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
trentcoleman
4th Gear

It is being sold by an individual and it is a 2004 "S" model with all the options. He is asking $14,500 for it but I do not know what messages scrolled across the message screen at start up. The exterior and interior appear to be in immaculate condition and we popped the hood and it looks clean. I haven't run a carfax on it and the buyer bought it at Carmax so I'm not sure what dealer serviced it (could have been a dealership in another state).

The seller was upfront as far as I know and stated this isn't a car you buy if you don't have a slush fund to fix it. The "!" light has me worried, but on some of my past vehicles it was "tire pressure" or "check engine".

Any other comments or thoughts?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, $14500 ... The dark side is strong with this one.

Search the forum and learn about:

Coolant pipes
Cardan shaft
Coil packs and spark plugs
Brake and tire life

Then put $5000 in small unmarked non sequential bills in the freezer, next to the bacon.
Place your therapists number on speed dial.
Update your health proxy status to "Do Not Resuscitate"

I might be worth paying an hour or so for labor at a local Porsche dealer for a PIWIS readout and visual inspection...sort of a mini PPI.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And then celibrate your new purchase with a vacation in Accapulco:

Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 AM
trentcoleman
4th Gear

Thanks gentlemen. Everything I've read about these from boards/forums, I'm surprised anyone purchases these. It seems that they are more trouble than they're worth. I may try and take it to a dealership to get a PPI. Thanks again.

TC
Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, $14500 ... The dark side is strong with this one.

Search the forum and learn about:

Coolant pipes
Cardan shaft
Coil packs and spark plugs
Brake and tire life

Then put $5000 in small unmarked non sequential bills in the freezer, next to the bacon.
Place your therapists number on speed dial.
Update your health proxy status to "Do Not Resuscitate"

I might be worth paying an hour or so for labor at a local Porsche dealer for a PIWIS readout and visual inspection...sort of a mini PPI.

Lewis, I started laughing before I even read your post. All I needed was to check the thread's title and last poster; this is how good you have become in this. : )

Originally Posted by trentcoleman
Thanks gentlemen. Everything I've read about these from boards/forums, I'm surprised anyone purchases these. It seems that they are more trouble than they're worth. I may try and take it to a dealership to get a PPI. Thanks again.

TC

Good call!
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

what you doing here? hahahahaha!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by trentcoleman

TC
Alphas and Betas are like teeth. When they are OK, no one notices them.
When they're not OK...

Fortunately for you, many early adopters have given their lives so there is information and knowledge to pass on....sort of like Cayenne dentists.

Get a PPI, ask about the issues I mentioned, read the stuck threads at the top of the forum ... Then go buy a Japanese SUV and buy a proper Porsche (Carrera) later on.

Godspeed ....
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Lewis, I started laughing before I even read your post. All I needed was to check the thread's title and last poster; this is how good you have become in this. : )

Good call!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Stop holding back Lewis, tell the newbie how you really feel!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 PM
trentcoleman
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ltc
Alphas and Betas are like teeth. When they are OK, no one notices them.
When they're not OK...

Fortunately for you, many early adopters have given their lives so there is information and knowledge to pass on....sort of like Cayenne dentists.

Get a PPI, ask about the issues I mentioned, read the stuck threads at the top of the forum ... Then go buy a Japanese SUV and buy a proper Porsche (Carrera) later on.

Godspeed ....
Lewis, Im new to the board and already find value in your wisdom/exerience. I must be perfectly honest that the reason Im looking at this Cayenne is I find that if it's in good running condition, I am going to resell.

Goal- buy for $14k; sell for $17,500- but ONLY if its in suitable condition. I see theres a good market for these but I do not want to be involved in a costly project.

TC
Old 01-15-2011, 12:04 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

As other have said -- I would do my homework. Selling for 14.5 -- How many miles?

Years ago I bought a 400E from a family member because it was always costing him money and he had to get rid of it. If he had done some research he would have understood the common problems with the car and he was buying one with nothing fixed - I got one with everything fixed and I loved it. I also bought a MB140 new that never was fixed -- even when it was fixed. That is the problem with the Cayenne - I fixed it .....but is it really fixed. In some instances you are replacing very expensive parts that are known to have a high failure rate with the exact same part - with no upgraded modifications.

You can replace the coolant pipes - water pump - heater fans - shafts - suspension parts. But the transmissions are a big "if" on these things. I have given up on the hatch supports!!

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne (Newbie)