Sponsored by:

w00tMOBILE in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, W00t, but while the car looks great in the photo, it's too far away to be able to tell anything about the state of PPF.

So in other words, maintaining the PPF is essential? Tempting in some ways, but I don't know if I want to be that **** over an SUV. A 911 or a car that I don't put so many miles on would have been a different story.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

What color is your SUV ? How often do you wash yours ?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm - sweet looking car.

For your Cayenne, how much bra are you putting up? All the way up the hood? Using 3M?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

It will be Dark Blue Metallic. I have a Carmon Red now, which I keep clean as much as possible, depending on what's going on outside. In other words, with this snow/rain, it hasn't been washed for about a week or two.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Preeble
Hmmm - sweet looking car.

For your Cayenne, how much bra are you putting up? All the way up the hood? Using 3M?
Just like my 3.2 Carrera it will be the entire hood ( I hate the lines) and the front bumpers. I always pay the extra $$ for custom install (rather than a pre-cut install) which allows for all the edges to be neatly tucked in so that there are no visible edges. Going with Ventureshield which I absolutely love.

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
It will be Dark Blue Metallic. I have a Carmon Red now, which I keep clean as much as possible, depending on what's going on outside. In other words, with this snow/rain, it hasn't been washed for about a week or two.
I think you should at the very least consider a pre-cut install for the front bumper and hood. Should run you around $600.00. How bad is the rock chips/road rash on your current carmon red ?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

This thread that I started on the 911 section may be of interest to some

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

I live in NY, have about 130k on my P!G, do lots of interstate driving and my windshield has been replaced at least twice because of the rocks that fly off of the garbage trucks on the highway. How bad do you think the road rash is?

IF, that's a very big if, I were to do it, I'd go for the whole thing. But I have to research this very thoroughly and pay another visit to my guys, who (from the photos on their website) seem to do custom installs only.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Without a doubt the guys at DD are one of the best in your neck of the woods. You can do all the research you want but for your type of travel (unless you switch cars every couple of yrs) you will be making a big mistake in not going for the clear-bra install..period.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
This thread that I started on the 911 section may be of interest to some

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429

I just went through the 5 pages and that's what bothers me. Some say it absolutely will yellow and will have to be redone once a year. What am I gaining by doing it? Avoiding rock chips? But I could "collect" them for a few years and just do a repaint?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Amar, you having John do the VS on the new Cayenne?

EW... you might consider doing just the front bumper, hood, and both front fenders.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe

EW... you might consider doing just the front bumper, hood, and both front fenders.
I'll stop by to talk with the guys and see if it makes sense. I want to see how much it would be to repaint vs. PPF.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Amar, you having John do the VS on the new Cayenne?

Craig, Benjamin (John does not do the PPF installs) is venture shielding the front bumper, hood and front fenders. I will roadwrap until the vehicle gets to those guys coz I would hate for rock chips to accumulate during my drive back home and then to John's place enroute satus and snoqualmie passes.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Could you PM me what he quoted?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I live in NY, have about 130k on my P!G, do lots of interstate driving and my windshield has been replaced at least twice because of the rocks that fly off of the garbage trucks on the highway. How bad do you think the road rash is?

IF, that's a very big if, I were to do it, I'd go for the whole thing. But I have to research this very thoroughly and pay another visit to my guys, who (from the photos on their website) seem to do custom installs only.
IMO -- Not worth it for an SUV, daily driver, doing lots of miles... The clear bra gets dinged just like the paint (maybe worse because it doesn't buff out when waxed); then you have to replace the whole thing to make it look right.

I have them on the rear quarter my fenders on my 911 and those are easy to replace, but they look lit **** when they get hit with rocks until they are replaced.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
I have them on the rear quarter my fenders on my 911 and those are easy to replace, but they look lit **** when they get hit with rocks until they are replaced.
Rome, those ones in the rear quarter panels of 911s are totally different beast. Those yellow even before you drive the baby home from the lot ... trust me. I had it removed in 2 months.

Quick Reply: w00tMOBILE in the USA