Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad tire set up 17s with mud tires.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually may already miss the feel I had grown accustomed too with the larger tires.

City travel this am to work was 18.6 mpg. The tires look much smaller........reminding me why I bought 22's and then the larger AT tires on the OEM 17's. So maybe I made an illogical decision.

Stereo is next maybe that will make me feel better pushing thorugh to 200k.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you accounting for the mileage difference with an independent gps unit or with the factory trip computer?

A smaller than stock tire will roll more times per real mile driven, recording more miles than actually travelled. The computer will report great fuel mileage because it thinks you have drive further than you actually have.

Good friend of mine manufactures tire covers. Which are basically two pieces of material sewn together. A strip that wraps around the tire and one round circle that covers the face of the wheel. It always amazed me how much longer each outer stip was than the next tire size down from it when you layed them out flat on the ground. It was just an easy way to visualize that a tire can travel several inches further/shorter PER REVOLUTION than a size pretty close to it.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:00 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I went with 245/65-17's 1.8% larger than OEM spec of 235/65-17. Whereas before I was doing the 270/70-17 10.9% larger than OEM tires.

After your point, this is all moot becaue my data was bad.....all of these calculations came from the factory monitoring and not using my gps units.

I was in a bind due to the wheels basically coming apart on me on the highway and having an afternoon window to find appropriate tires.

I will however be trying these out at the farm/pasture soon for early teal season in a few months and do have more wheel well travel and turn without rubbing. Rubbing only occured at full turn with the large tires, none on these new pups.

Alot of the reviews asid from BFG mud terrains in a larger size came for the Touareg site, where these set ups are common......17's this tire size. I have to do rotors and brakes again so I saved a few hundred by not going with the BFG MT to make that project fit for now and have a rolling sled.

It does leave me feeling...."wheres the beef".
Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Cole
Drifting

Just for clarification. My point was only to be aware of the "real" vs "perceived" difference in fuel economy.

I spent years of building off road rigs and would always hear the fuel mileage complaint. Often from guys running huge tires that had never bothered to change out speedo gears or reprogram the computer.

Obviously big heavy agressive tires effect fuel mileage, just not as much as it is often claimed to.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Farmer Michael
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Do OEM 17" alloy wheels fit on a 2003 Cayenne S? I was under the impression not but am I wrong?

Michael
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I know there are 330, 350 mm(standard on Turbo's and some S's), then 380 and above on some turbo models.

Now after researching on some other forums where the Cayenne and Touareg owners swap out calipers, its always possible.

I have 17 inch OEM 2 sets that clear just fine but I know I have the 330 mm Cayenne Base calipers. I also have some 22 inch Tech Art Replicas......now the Rep's actually rubbed a tiny bit and I had discount tire shave the 330 mm calipers a bit.

Here is a link on how to find AUDI/VW/PORSCHE Calipers if you ever feel like upgrading/downgrading.

If you are near Austin I would offer you a set to "try on" since I have 2 sets of the 17's.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-rotors/page16
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Farmer Michael
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
I know there are 330, 350 mm(standard on Turbo's and some S's), then 380 and above on some turbo models.

Now after researching on some other forums where the Cayenne and Touareg owners swap out calipers, its always possible.

I have 17 inch OEM 2 sets that clear just fine but I know I have the 330 mm Cayenne Base calipers. I also have some 22 inch Tech Art Replicas......now the Rep's actually rubbed a tiny bit and I had discount tire shave the 330 mm calipers a bit.

Here is a link on how to find AUDI/VW/PORSCHE Calipers if you ever feel like upgrading/downgrading.

If you are near Austin I would offer you a set to "try on" since I have 2 sets of the 17's.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-rotors/page16
Sorry nowhere near Austin, TX, I'm the wrong side of the pond! Thanks for the offer.

2003-7 UK (probably all EU) Cayenne S are fitted with the same brakes as the standard Turbo, i.e. 350mm front discs, the only difference is the caliper colour, silver on the S and red on the turbo.

I'm thinking when my standard 18" tyres are done I'll go for a set of these: http://www.generaltire.eu/generator/...rabber-at.html but still have to make up my mind whether to go for 255/55R18 (playing safe) or 255/60R18 (a little bolder). Perhaps I'll get a set of 19" off of Ebay for touring/summer.

Michael
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

go to club Touareg.......they have the offroad wheel and tire size down to a spreadsheet and countries availiable.......as well as visual examples you can search through...
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Cole
Drifting

265/65/18 BFG AT

Since nobody else seemed to actually try this on a Cayenne I figured I would dive in now that my winter tires needed replaced!

They are tight when turning, but clear at the normal height setting. Just graze the fender liner on the turbo at the low setting(turning, clear fine straight)

The contact on the low setting is literally just a super light dusting type contact. It would also be very early to just trim out the fender liner for an even bigger tire.

Keep in mind this is all with my AT Itallia wheels. Think their offset is slightly more outward than stock wheels.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:15 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Default updates

Recent pictures
Attached Images    
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 AM
Cole
Drifting

Looks good !

Another one of mine from a recent Porsche Breakfast.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:20 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I love fat tires on a pig!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Latest thoughts on additions that are farily simple......2 or 3 of these light bars on front, in grill or mod the roof rack and do a hardwire. My pig is old and I dont care about tearing out the roof and drilling some holes at this point.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...Xpg-10-Led-Bar

Last edited by cordsig79; 07-24-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: video add
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Cole
Drifting

I hate light bars or anything on the roof. Raises center of gravity, lights up your hood really well(making other things hard to see), raises your overhead clearance(which a couple of canyons in Moab this can be critical as the rock tilts you into the cliff face/overhang).

Here is an old mock up that might be worth a revisit.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cole
I hate light bars or anything on the roof. Raises center of gravity, lights up your hood really well(making other things hard to see), raises your overhead clearance(which a couple of canyons in Moab this can be critical as the rock tilts you into the cliff face/overhang).

Here is an old mock up that might be worth a revisit.
...and don't forget the wind noise.

Quick Reply: Offroad tire set up 17s with mud tires.....