Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Having it is one thing, having it work well is another. No experience with Ford, but my wife's soon-to-be-gone Highlander has voice control and it sucks. Feeling like an idiot shouting repeated commands at the dashboard in an attempt to get the radio to do something isn't my idea of useful technology.

I passed on the voice feature when I ordered my 2011 CS based on the Toyota experience. Sounds like Porsche did a much better job with it and it might have been a worthwhile option.
My 2009 Hybrid Escape, which I gave to my daughter, has the Sync system.
It is quite good at voice recognition, even considering it is running Windows

I remember seeing the first PCM 3.0 about 5 years ago ... We used to swear at it in German just to get it to hang up ... It has come a long way since then.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My daughter's 2010 Sync system is superb, especially the Bluetooth Audio function, NO MORE WIRES
Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent write- up. Congrats on the new Cayenne!

My '11 Yurbo (Yellow Turbo) has no interior noises or strange steering wheel vibrations.

In regards to oil consumption, I am convinced it is related to break-in behaviour. Those who baby the engine after it is warmed up, especially in the critical first 100 miles, have made the decision to drive an oil burner. Sounds harsh but that is my way to address the old wives tale of "gentle break-in".

Want to stop oil burning?

1. Warm engine.
2. Apply repeated WOT under load (uphill).

Once you get past a few thousand miles, you may never repair the damge done from a gentle break-in. It is too late to get the machined parts to mate.

Document one real-life instance where a warranty claim was denied due to "improper break-in". You can't. They don't exist. It is a fairy tale propagated by those who simply do not understand engines. Any professional technician will advise you to drive it like you stole it.

My RS was WOT at 10 miles (after engine warm) and on track with 200 miles on it. Has 11,000+ miles on it now, over half track miles. It has used .75 qt in that time.

The Turbo was treated the same- warmed engine and then explore WOT as road and speed limit allow Used approx 1 qt in 5000 miles.

Rant off, please carry on and enjoy your Cayennes...lol
Old 12-11-2010, 12:49 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Those who baby the engine after it is warmed up, especially in the critical first 100 miles, have made the decision to drive an oil burner. Sounds harsh but that is my way to address the old wives tale of "gentle break-in".

1. Warm engine.
Couple of questions:

1. WOT?, is it wide open throttle?
2. Assuming you are not joking around, i'd be very curious hear more about the competing theories about break in.

I got my 11 cayenne s about 1 month ago, and with 800 miles its evaporated about 3/4 of a quart of oil.

This is the second new car I've owned so not real sure about break in issues. Our first new car was an x5 and to be honest we were pretty liberal with it from the first day and it was just fine. Any other thoughts on break-in would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sid.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this guy's idea to drive it like it's stolen during break-in period. That's what I'll do once my Burbo (Blue Turbo) comes in. But then again, that's how I always drive
Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks, Rome for the great review. Now I wish I had ordered VC. Hope the other issues get resolved quickly...

Alpha and Beta? Youch!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I was fairly gentle with my '06 Cayenne during first thousand miles and it never needed a drop of oil.

I don't think this is like the old days where you need to be overly cautious for thousands of miles, but I do think it makes sense to follow what they Porsche recommends in the book.

Break in guide is posted here: https://rennlist.com/forums/8085838-post31.html Savyboy, it basically sounds like you are saying to do the opposite. While this may have worked for George Costanza, but I'm not so sure about it being a god idea for us Cayenne owens.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

The break-in debate has been going on forever. I'll add this. When I picked up my '09 C2S at the factory I specifically asked the representative about break in proceedure. He told me basically to ignore what was written in the manual and drive the car like it was meant to be driven. He said something to the effect that you can't baby your car on the Autobahn and no one over there does.

I couldn't quite bring myself to follow his advice completely and used some restraint, but I did get on the throttle hard when I really needed to and drove as fast as traffic would allow when I got the opportunity. Maybe even more important was the fact that in that first 1500 miles I was taking long trips, varying rpm as much as possible, and not doing short drives with lots of starts and stops.

It may be coincidence, but both my 997.2 S and my previous 996 were factory delivery cars, got driven fairly hard when they were new, and neither has used oil. I'm already planning some long trips for the new CS when it arrives (someday).
Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The break-in debate has been going on forever. I'll add this. When I picked up my '09 C2S at the factory I specifically asked the representative about break in proceedure. He told me basically to ignore what was written in the manual and drive the car like it was meant to be driven. He said something to the effect that you can't baby your car on the Autobahn and no one over there does.

I couldn't quite bring myself to follow his advice completely and used some restraint, but I did get on the throttle hard when I really needed to and drove as fast as traffic would allow when I got the opportunity. Maybe even more important was the fact that in that first 1500 miles I was taking long trips, varying rpm as much as possible, and not doing short drives with lots of starts and stops.

It may be coincidence, but both my 997.2 S and my previous 996 were factory delivery cars, got driven fairly hard when they were new, and neither has used oil. I'm already planning some long trips for the new CS when it arrives (someday).
I'd like to talk to you sometime about factory delivery. I considered it with this car, but have little interest in going to Lepzig. Stuttgart is a different story because of the proximity to Switzerland, Italy and France....
Old 12-11-2010, 03:05 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by savyboy

My '11 Yurbo (Yellow Turbo) has no interior noises or strange steering wheel vibrations.

In regards to oil consumption, I am convinced it is related to break-in behaviour. Those who baby the engine after it is warmed up, especially in the critical first 100 miles, have made the decision to drive an oil burner. Sounds harsh but that is my way to address the old wives tale of "gentle break-in".

1. Warm engine.

Once you get past a few thousand miles, you may never repair the damge done from a gentle break-in. It is too late to get the machined parts to mate.

Document one real-life instance where a warranty claim was denied due to "improper break-in". You can't. They don't exist. It is a fairy tale propagated by those who simply do not understand engines. Any professional technician will advise you to drive it like you stole it.

My RS was WOT at 10 miles (after engine warm) and on track with 200 miles on it. Has 11,000+ miles on it now, over half track miles. It has used .75 qt in that time.

The Turbo was treated the same- warmed engine and then explore WOT as road and speed limit allow Used approx 1 qt in 5000 miles.

Rant off, please carry on and enjoy your Cayennes...lol
I am going to follow your advise because I have had it with adding a quart of oil every 300-400 miles on my 11 TT, I have 1600 miles on it and it has used 5 quarts, the dealer says at around 6000 miles it will stop consuming this much.
My 997 TT was driven hard from day one and never consumed as much oil so I think you may be up to something here since I have been babying this cayenne TT and following porsches's recommendations.
I hope its not too late.
will keep you posted.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 PM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Interesting debate.

After delivery, I plan on driving a few hundred miles to get acquainted. Maybe that will give the Pepper time to figure out what is being required of it. It will definately give me a chance to get more familiar with it...(5 more days).

Rome, You have 1000 or so miles now, right; how many miles did you do initially upon pick-up?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I remember seeing the first PCM 3.0 about 5 years ago ... We used to swear at it in German just to get it to hang up ... It has come a long way since then
Just curious Lewis. Were the words "Schwein" and "Hund" used simultaneously?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:07 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AppleChilli

Interesting debate.

After delivery, I plan on driving a few hundred miles to get acquainted. Maybe that will give the Pepper time to figure out what is being required of it. It will definately give me a chance to get more familiar with it...(5 more days).

Rome, You have 1000 or so miles now, right; how many miles did you do initially upon pick-up?
The following day I did 100 mile trip. 4 days later I did a 450 mile trip. The rest the miles have been mostly my usual 30 mile RT commute to work.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I'd like to talk to you sometime about factory delivery. I considered it with this car, but have little interest in going to Lepzig. Stuttgart is a different story because of the proximity to Switzerland, Italy and France....
Anytime. PM me with any questions you might have. I've done factory delivery with 3 Porsches. I'd be glad to pass on whatever info I can.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I'm picking my CS up in Leipzig 03.22.11. I haven't done Northern Europe. We're planning on starting in Leipzig then to Berlin, Copenhagen, Goteborg, Oslo (and then a 11 hour travel day with ferry from Norway to Denmark and a long drive), Hamburg, Rotterdam, Luxembourg and finally to Stuttgart where we will be dropping off the car.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles