Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up Rome, thanks for sharing. Drove one the other day... impressive but thinking of waiting for the post beltbuckle versions.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice write-up, very informative. Agree with all the positives, there are some signifcant improvements over the older models.

As far as the negatives...my oil level warning light came on at 850 miles, added one quart and the system couldn't measure the oil level again for another six hours for some reason. The standard Porsche response is that the oil consumption will improve as you get more miles on the vehicle, but that was clearly not the case with my 997.2 (it was consistently 1 quart per ~750 miles from day one through 25k).

As far as noises inside the car, I have a constant buzzing sound from the door handle/armrest in both front doors when the audio system has any significant bass going on.

Also, iPod interface scrambles all the playlists so I can never listen to songs in the order that I want, but that's another story...
Old 12-10-2010, 02:59 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had any of the quality issues you mentioned. I am a stickler for rattles and am satisfied.

I just added my first quart of oil at 2100 miles. My RS4 had a V8 FSI engine and that car needed a supertanker the first 10000 miles, so I am not concerned.

I agree with you on the heated windscreen. I recommend skipping the option but then again I may love it the first storm we receive.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

One thing that's really interesting is the large number of people who have a Cayenne/993 combo.... Bill P, Cab&Coupe, McQueen, me...seems like many others too... Great mix of the new and the old....
Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great combo for sure... don't forget to add a pinch of 997 for additional spice
Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't agree more on the combo. My 993 handles great (PSS 9s) yet I still very much appreciate the handling characteristics of the CS. I'm pleased that Porsche brought the platform to market and that they have continued to improve upon it.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Originally Posted by rome
One thing that's really interesting is the large number of people who have a Cayenne/993 combo.... Bill P, Cab&Coupe, McQueen, me...seems like many others too... Great mix of the new and the old....
I thought of keeping my RS4 and getting rid of my 993...for about half a second.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Rome, deja-vu a bit tho
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am withholding judgement until I get a chance to read Kooser's driving review ... Oh, wait, never mind.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Thanks for the detailed write-up Rome. Hope that those issues that you touched on get explained/resolved soon. I test drove a couple of Cayennes (base and S), but did not feel any vibration. As soon as I get the CS, I will be sure to concentrate on this area of possible concern.

Great; the voice feature was another feature next to PTV, that I wanted, but didn't have much information on, so I passed. Your write-up and hopefully others like it will help future buyer's make better informed decisions on this newer tech that the Cayenne has to offer.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ford has offered full voice control of the nav and infotainment for a few years now...nothing new here.

Even the lowly VW Golf has adaptive BiiXenon "bend lighting" which is very cool at night. It takes a bit to get used tonthe bixenons swiveling in response to steeringnwheel input at speed...but it makes a big difference.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Ford has offered full voice control of the nav and infotainment for a few years now...nothing new here.
Having it is one thing, having it work well is another. No experience with Ford, but my wife's soon-to-be-gone Highlander has voice control and it sucks. Feeling like an idiot shouting repeated commands at the dashboard in an attempt to get the radio to do something isn't my idea of useful technology.

I passed on the voice feature when I ordered my 2011 CS based on the Toyota experience. Sounds like Porsche did a much better job with it and it might have been a worthwhile option.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Having it is one thing, having it work well is another. No experience with Ford, but my wife's soon-to-be-gone Highlander has voice control and it sucks. Feeling like an idiot shouting repeated commands at the dashboard in an attempt to get the radio to do something isn't my idea of useful technology.

I passed on the voice feature when I ordered my 2011 CS based on the Toyota experience. Sounds like Porsche did a much better job with it and it might have been a worthwhile option.
Agreed, I first had it on my Honda Civic Hybrid than our MB GL450. Both systems I gave up using because pushing the buttons was much easier. Hopefully Porsche improved on it. If you have young kids, forget about it. They make a game of mocking your commands and making sure the computer doesn't understand your basic command.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:50 AM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Exactly! Rome's brief review covered VC better than the 6 minute review done on CNET, where all they did was complain about the cup holders... I like hearing about problem areas, but that comment took the cake.

Would like to hear more about how Porsche's implementation of radar cruise works, as well as a couple of other features. I played around with the Nav, but it seemed like a chore to work with versus something like Audi's MMI with the ****, over the touch screen in the Cayenne. The implementation of the MMI system seemed more fluid and multimedia friendly than the Porsche PCM. So it's a pleasant surprise to know that it works better with VC. Although, it's a shame that Porsche charges another $595.00, to experience it. Heck, between XM and VC you're talking the price of a regular Nav in other makes, add standard Bose and things get even more interesting.

Rome, with the roof rails did you consider running boards?

Again, thanks for the real-world comments, keep them coming.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Cliffh93
7th Gear

I have a Cayman to run in tandem with my 957 S. Of all the Porsches I've owned, the one I'd really like to have back is my 1996 993. I miss that car.

Thanks for the writeup, I was impressed with the new Cayenne when I was shopping last summer, but didn't want to pay the extra $30k over what I spent for my 25k mile 2008 CPO car. Might get one in a few years, but honestly, the diesel Toureg makes more sense to me as a next step.

Curious about the oil consumption, I've never had usage like that in the 10 P-cars I've owned, and my current ones haven't used any.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles