Sponsored by:

blown engine, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:36 PM
zache
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy blown engine, need some advice

need some advice here. I have a 2004 cayenne with about 80,000 miles. It is my secondary car, just used for bad weather. I have kept it in excellent condition and kept it up to date on all service including a dealer oil serivice within 1000 miles of this incidednt. The other day, I was driving and smelled smoke, but I thought it was an outdoor odor at first. Then I noticed a haze in the cabin. I was withing half a mile from the dealer ship at this point, so I decided to take it right in. about 1/4 mile from the dealership, the oil pressure low light came on, then off, then on again. At this point, it started making an unusual noise. I pulled it in to the dealership, and noticed smoke coming out by the front right tire, clearly from under the hood. I had them look at it and they said that some valve seperated from the oil tank and the oil came out. they said I need a new engine. I was shocked, as I rarely drive the car and keep it in good shape. After speaking with my brother, he said he had noticed on his driveway a large amount of oil, bascially all the oil. So the entire trip with the oil leaking out was within 2 miles and 5 minutes to the dealer on small roads.
Two question; do you guys think this is enough to kill an engine?
is there any way to get Porsche or Insurance to cover this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:03 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If its a secondary car, you have plenty of time to wait out the repairs, do it in phases, and search for engine on ebay.

or tow it to the boat ramp and let her go........leave some personal items in there.......try to have a boat trailer attached to it also.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:14 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Which model is it ? I have not heard that description before

Drive an engine with no oil generally leads to VBT (very bad things)

Ditto on the previous post
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM
zache
6th Gear

cayenne S. the dealer just wrote me it "The cam chain tensioner had danced out away from the motor; loosened up causing the leak between the motor and tensioner"

I understand no oil = VBT, but would there not be some oil left in the system? its not like I was driving around, I drove it 1 miles from where the oil leaked out directly to the dealer.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

have them fix the issue, top'er off and give it a crank.......wadda ya got to lose.

Its just a series of steps from here on out........
Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

any progress Zache......
Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The engine needs to be shutdown immediately once that low oil pressure warning light comes on.

Did you get the "check oil level" message in your display prior to the low oil press light illuminating?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

It is strange your car didnt lock up and shut off.......I mean you see all kinds of posts here when these cars shutdown for stereo or steering issues......cant imagine the engine not firing warning signs and shutting you down.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 CS was close to dead. It had a bad cylinder. The issue was a very short run of engines had the piston rings installed upside down. My CS was blowing smoke at startup and using oil. It took a lot of pushing from the dealer to get a new motor. The dealer finally scoped the engine and saw a very scored up cylinder wall.

There is a TSB that has a very narrow range of vin numbers. Mine was within the range of VIN's. Maybe yours was. But at 80k miles you may be SOL. I was still within my warranty.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
have them fix the issue, top'er off and give it a crank.......wadda ya got to lose.

Its just a series of steps from here on out........
X2

You would be amazed at what an engine will take without oil. The noise may simply go away with oil in it. Won't know until you try.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
zache
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
The engine needs to be shutdown immediately once that low oil pressure warning light comes on.

Did you get the "check oil level" message in your display prior to the low oil press light illuminating?
check oil light never came on, just oil pressure low, and that was after i got smoke in the cabbin. I am trying to have insurance cover this as something must have hit th e underpart of the car bec aue the oil all came out at once. I was literally around the corner from the dealer and on my way to work, did not think I could ruin an engine in 2 minutes that had just recieved oil service the month before and driven less then 1000 miles.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
TenaciousT
Track Day

Originally Posted by zache
cayenne S. the dealer just wrote me it "The cam chain tensioner had danced out away from the motor; loosened up causing the leak between the motor and tensioner"
Did the dealer say WHY that happened??

Quick Reply: blown engine, need some advice