Sponsored by:

Did my good deed for the week - Porsche related

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Did my good deed for the week - Porsche related

On my way home from some errands today in the Pepper I spotted a young lady just pulled of a side street with all her stuff pulled out of the trunk and she on her cell phone. I turned around and went to see if she needed help and of course she did. Her RR tire had completely blown out the sidewall, still had 3/4 rubber left on the tread all the way around but the outer sidewall was gone. I have no idea what would have caused a blowout like that.

She had gotten the doughnut spare out but had no idea how to work the jack. Fortunately this was an old Olds Cutlass and it had a pretty decent scissor jack setup. I checked the doughnut spare and of course it was way low so I used the mini air compressor kit from the Pepper and it didn't take too long to inflate. Had no problems swapping the spare and helped her load all her stuff back up (said she was in the middle of moving and it looked like it) and get her on her way.

As for the Pepper compressor it worked well, did take a bit to get everything back into it's little case though. I don't understand why they didn't use a cig. lighter 12v connector instead of the alligator clips though. You have 2 12v connectors in the ft. pass. compartment and 1 in the trunk area. I just attached it to her car battery instead of trying to get it attached under my hood. I am glad I had a spare hand wipe in the car but will add a couple more along with cheap gloves in my spare tire compartment.

Now I just need to make sure the compressor in the 993 works too.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Good for you! I have done similar deeds in the past but here in LA, people think you're a freak. The last time I helped some old lady changed a flat on the freeway a tow truck driver showed up when I was almost done and even the driver told me in his 10-20 years, he has never seen another motorist stopped and helped... sad but life in LA...

My guess is the blown tire was probably over-inflated in the first place. You will be amazed how many people goes to the gas station filling up their tires without a gauge. They just eyeball it! I haven't used the air compressor in the Cayenne but if it inflates a tire quickly, it probably has a stronger motor in it. Most cigarette lighters has a 10-15 amp fuse, enough for the cheap ones I bought at walmart for $10. But couple nicer ones I have will blow 15 amp fuse.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
My guess is the blown tire was probably over-inflated in the first place. You will be amazed how many people goes to the gas station filling up their tires without a gauge. They just eyeball it! I haven't used the air compressor in the Cayenne but if it inflates a tire quickly, it probably has a stronger motor in it. Most cigarette lighters has a 10-15 amp fuse, enough for the cheap ones I bought at walmart for $10. But couple nicer ones I have will blow 15 amp fuse.
Ah! I hadn't thought about the cig. lighter fuse although I have no idea how much the air comp. draws. BTW, there are 2 12v outlets in the cargo area.

One time when I was over in England and stopped at one of the motorway service areas I noticed a tire on a couple's car was very low, I tapped on the window and let the lady in the car know her tire was low and pointed it out to her. When I came out from using the restroom she had one of the service station guys looking at the tire but she kept giving me a look like I had done something to her tire. I just smiled to her and walked back to our rental car. I think she was wondering how the yank sabotaged her car.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good deed Bill! With shows on TV like CSI and Criminal Minds, there is very little trust left in this world. Just last night, an episode aired where a very young teenager was on a family killing spree. Disgusting to say the least....

Years back, my buddy was shopping at Home Depot and bumped into a little girl wandering about and crying that she lost her mother. He took the girl by the hand and led her to the front desk so that they could page the mother. He barely made it to the counter when a woman behind him screamed and came charging at him. Guess who it was? He later told me that he's never doing anything like that again. Pity...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Jamo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done Bill! About 20 years ago, I stopped to help two students who had a flat tyre. They asked me for a lift so I said 'Sure, is the spare flat too?'. They replied 'What spare? We didn't know it had one!'

Andy, my 4yo did the opposite thing in Singapore Airport a couple of weeks ago. She walked about 20 feet from me into the crowd, turned around, looked straight at me then turned around again, threw her arms up in the air and screamed 'Help me, I'm lost!'!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamo
Andy, my 4yo did the opposite thing in Singapore Airport a couple of weeks ago. She walked about 20 feet from me into the crowd, turned around, looked straight at me then turned around again, threw her arms up in the air and screamed 'Help me, I'm lost!'!
Mum's taught her well!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Strong work Bill!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work BUT there another reason to have the air supsension, it looks WAY cooler when you just run the pipe out the passenger door. Mind you it never got me...never mind

Quick Reply: Did my good deed for the week - Porsche related