Running Day Light Module - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Daveitaly
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Day Light Module - Canada

Hi,

I just purchased a 2004 Porsche Cayenne from Peabody Mass.

Bringing it back into Canada, I realized that I need to get the running daylights installed. I've been told by some people that they simply need to change a setting in the module, and others have told me that they need to add a module. At Porsche in montreal, they are telling me that adding this module will cost me 1000$ plus tax. However, I am not convinced. Do you guys know if this is actually what needs to be done, and if I can get it at a better price?!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Dave,

Are you the gent that I met over at the Canadian Tire in Kirkland? I parked next to you with the black GTS. If not, sorry for the rant.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

It's done via programming. I had it done for $250...dealer wanted $1000. Any shop can do it if they have access to Porsche diagnostics (piwis). You'll have to get your speedo changed to km/h too but you can do that yourself.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Daveitaly
6th Gear

Good call Andy, I am the person you met at Canadian Tire. Funny thing, I call Porsche Prestige today and they quote me 1000 plus tax. Give me a break, if they have to install a special module then maybe... but if its all programming, forget that!

Thank you for the information quattrotman. I have also heard that people have done it via programming. I have someone that will do a test on it this wednesday, I hope it works. If not, ill have to find somewhere in Montreal that will and can do it for cheaper than 1000$!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

It's a simple change from us to can specs. Hope u had an easier time getting a recall letter than I did. Those bastards at the dealer wanted $2000 for a recall letter via a phony $1500 inspection and French decals (that aren't required by law). I managed to bribe a dealer in LA to get me recall clearance but nonetheless it was a pain.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely ridiculous. My dealer did it for free. I added running lights because it saved insurance costs if you had them on during daylight.. did so for about a year and then the price difference wasn't much and they turned them back off at no charge as well.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Small world!

Call up Michel Chevalier at Lauzon Porsche in Laval. He's the service manager at the dealership and a very honest and down-to-earth guy. Tell him that you're a PCA member and that you need to have your US-cluster programmed to km/h. If you haven't yet changed the oil, book an appointment with him at the same time to show some good faith and willingness to spend some money at his dealership. It'll cost you $350 but at least you'll gain his respect as you may surely need him one day in the future. He'll probably also forfeit the programming charges at the same time.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Daveitaly
6th Gear

Ok so let me clear something up so everyone in the future knows.... although Porsche dealers want to rob us by charging 1000$ and saying they need to add a module, I got it done without any module, just by changing the settings of the actual car... and it took a whole 4 minutes.

So if ever the question comes up again... no need for the dealership, you can get it done in 4 minutes.... for MUCH cheaper!

Thanks all for your advice!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

You definitely do not need a module and I have read that it us possible to do through your settings on your PCM, not all of us have that option (though everyone can change from mph to km/h in the settings...check your manual on how) It is a change that can be done via diagnostics (piwis) and some dealers will charge and some won't. Don't let them talk you into any module. That is definitely not necessary.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daveitaly
I got it done without any module, just by changing the settings of the actual car... and it took a whole 4 minutes.
Dave, I was under the impression that this could only be done on post-2008 Cayennes. Good for you, I'm happy that it worked out and you saved yourself some nice dinero..!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
shonuf
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'm in the states and my dealer turned on the auto headlights for free! Spokane Porsche

Quick Reply: Running Day Light Module - Canada