Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The Cajun...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...-suv-the-cajun
Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont get it. Why does the world need another SUVEE? Its not like the Cayenne is large or anything. In fact I think its on the smaller end of the spectrum.
Lemme guess, P is going to launch the Cajun in New Orleans.

P get back to your roots, PLEASE.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If true, I doubt it will ever make it to US market. It is supposed to be VW Tiguan based but the Tiguan is already priced into high $30s when loaded. With the Cayenne V6 starting from mid $40s, there is just not a lot of room in between. Not to mention the new Touareg is supposed to be cheaper than the predecessor and the Q5 all in between...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Cant they just leave this crap to Audi/VW ... like Porsche needs ANOTHER truck?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The number of different models that Mercedes makes is mind numbing - they drive by and you say "Yah that's a Mercedes" -- then you look at the trunk to try and figure it out ..if you even care.

I'm not sure why Porsche feels the need to do this. I understand the need to maximize platform use across the company but they will definitely hurt the Cayenne brand. They don't need two SUV's
Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the corporate boys and girls have done their homework and the Cajun will be a winner.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

They want to compete with Audi (Q5 & Q3 TDI). I'm sure it will be very nice!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

VW 200 model empire competes w/ itself. great.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would just like to point out the fact that this is what you get for having Dr W. put PAG in the position to be bought by VAG.

It is no longer Porsche, an independent automaker selling anything with a Porsche crest in order to keep the 911 alive (Dr. W's philosophy).
It is now a subsidiary of VAG, merely a badge, no different than SEAT or SKODA or Audi or VW.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I would rather have my stable filled with Porsches than worry about the brand dilution thing. The small SUV will make a perfect first car for my daughter.

Sony makes a lot of different electronics, Nike makes a lot of clothings and accessories other than shoes, but people don't have a problem with that. As a business, why should Porsche behave any different than Sony and Nike?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Ragnar Joensen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cayenne and in particular the Panamera are cars to dream about - no question about it. And the Cajun will certainly be a fine car as well. And they are real Porsche cars.

The Porsche sales figures for 2009/2010 (august - july) showed an increase of sales by 18% - great !

But there is a backside, and it is related to the Cayenne/Panamera/Cajun segment. Despite the 18% increase of sales, the Boxster went down by 11% and the 911 went down by 27%. Not only are the Cayenne and Panamera the best selling models, but the sports cars are actually going down. Rapidly !

I am no 911 purist, I have driven 928 for quite a few years. But I see a problem in Porsche diluting their brand and being more of a luxury car brand, rather than a sports car brand.

One of the automotive icons of all times is the 356 Speedster. Porsche are currently marketing the equivalent of today, the 997 Speedster.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/speedster/default.aspx

Take a look at it. No or little association with the nimble and ultralight 356 Speedster. More like a king size pizza with all the extra toppings. Each seat requires more leather than the entire interior of the 356. The sat nav weighs more than the carpets of the 356 and the 997 is wider than the 356 is long (well almost). Steering wheel with paddles ??? Squeeze in an engine to make the thing fast and You have a sports car.

The 356 Speedster was'nt about power and comfort, it was about lightness and handling. Apparently Porsche of today missed that. But the 997 Speedster is still a nice car.

Ragnar
Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

^Hey Ragnar,

You got some excellent points there.

I agree that a lot of Porsches these days incorporate a lot of luxury rather than weight saving. But that's what its customers want and in business term, Porsche did the right thing.

Everyone need their daily cars, but not everyone needs a sport car.

As long as Porsche's cars and SUVs still perform and handle better than its competitors, I'll keep buying them.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

The special qualities of the brand have already changed. Maybe the low sales numbers of the Touareg drive the decision. One would have thought they would have wanted to sell this new SUV as an Audi and maintain the exclusive nature of the Porsche brand -- but like I said that has changed.

Porsche was in such bad shape twenty years ago that they had to do something to make sure they were never in that position again -- but if the cars become too common -- the ability to sell them at the highest profit margin in the industry becomes more difficult.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragnar Joensen
The Cayenne and in particular the Panamera are cars to dream about - no question about it.
Dream of someday owning a Cayenne? Over a 911? Sorry, I'd have to question that.

Originally Posted by Ragnar Joensen
One of the automotive icons of all times is the 356 Speedster. Porsche are currently marketing the equivalent of today, the 997 Speedster.
I don't believe slapping Speedster on a 997 makes it a Speedster. It's a 997 with some Speedster looking bits. Perhaps a bit like the 964 Speedster, but nothing like a 356 Speedster.

If 911 sales are down, then Porsche had better figure it out, rather than just start slapping the Porsche crest on something and then claiming it has some unique heritage (the current marketing line).

Quick Reply: The Cajun...