Sponsored by:

New Cayenne owner! - couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM
alkaloids
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cayenne owner! - couple questions

I'm very excited to have just bought my first Porsche (a 2004 Cayenne S). I've had a Volkswagen Passat before, and it's funny how many things are so similar (the key, sunroof controls, etc). Just wanted to come say hi and ask a couple questions.

Its history is a bit weird - it's always been in Texas, and the guy we had inspect it said that it was in good shape and everything, but the previous owner had only owned it for 3 months - and I'm not sure where it has been serviced. I'm in Austin, TX, and I don't know about dealerships here being any good. My experience with the VW guys was not so good. How can I find out where it has been serviced?

I can't figure out how to unlock all the doors with the remote. The previous owner said he couldn't get it to work - if he pushed the button twice, it just unlocked, then relocked the doors. I tried holding it down and no luck. Perhaps he didn't regularly open his wife's door, but that wouldn't fly in my household...

Is there a good recommended course of action for me here? Should I just find a good Porsche dealership and go introduce myself as a new donor to their children's college funds?

Thanks, and I have done a good amount of reading here and look forward to doing more in the future.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A dealer will be able to pull up any service done by dealerships. Your '04 was probably serviced by an indy the last couple of years, no help for that.

I think there is a way to program your key to open all the doors through the PCM unit under preferences. Instructions should be in the owners manual. Mine opened all the doors before I changed the battery, but I never went back to change it.

Let us know where you live and someone can probably recommend an indy. Then you only pay for a state school instead of private.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 899 Posts

I think a dealer can only pull up service history that was done at that dealer. As far as network wide service, I think that only TSBs will show up.

I think there is a way to program the key to do what you want, like David said.

Welcome to the P!g Pen!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 256 Posts

Welcome and enjoy.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alkaloids
I'm very excited to have just bought my first Porsche (a 2004 Cayenne S). I've had a Volkswagen Passat before, and it's funny how many things are so similar (the key, sunroof controls, etc). Just wanted to come say hi and ask a couple questions...
Imagine that... Welcome enjoy it in good spirits!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:46 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ltc !
Old 09-30-2010, 11:32 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

alkaloids, I just moved to Austin 5 months ago....I have had a Base for 4 years. Pm me or we can chat before the sharks smell the blood in the water, (cayenne owners can be bipolar on their reviews of the P!G).......Im close to narrowing down a good local mechanic but I have many solutions for future questions or problems you will have on the piggy pepper.

I can show you tons of ways to shave off the cost of ownership if you may be in a hole for repairs etc and we can find a decent place for labor.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 AM
alkaloids
4th Gear

Thanks all!

I figured out the key thing. Poor previous owner never knew how to open the passenger door. Oh well...

I contacted Ric at Suncoast and he'd said that all the recall stuff was done, but he couldn't get any service records for it.

I am acquainted with Kenny Hill, of the shop here in Austin, and was thinking of talking to him about it - he's a big supporter of bicycle racing (which I also enjoy) so I like that. I'm definitely interested in learning more ways to reduce cost of ownership.

First things first, though - gotta change the oil, it's due, it seems.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
ltc !
Since there were no pics posted of the new vehicle ( ... poor forum manners ), I have no idea what color the P!g is, therefore, I have no idea whether to have red or white wine when dining on this newbie.

Now what do I do ?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say white, they taste like chicken regardless of color.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
alkaloids
4th Gear

Right. Pictures... Well the previous owner had cleaned it before photographing, but when I picked it up it was pretty dirty. So, we're in the process of getting that taken care of.

Here's the "advertising" pictures...

(maybe - if this works...)
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 899 Posts

Nice! Love the color combo.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:21 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think a dealer can only pull up service history that was done at that dealer. As far as network wide service, I think that only TSBs will show up.
Correct. I just called the service guy at the local dealer about an 04 and he told me that same thing. He told me all the warranty/TSB's were done but no other service history can be pulled except by the dealer performing the service.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 PM
alkaloids
4th Gear

Originally Posted by John H
Correct. I just called the service guy at the local dealer about an 04 and he told me that same thing. He told me all the warranty/TSB's were done but no other service history can be pulled except by the dealer performing the service.
Yep.

So now, the big question is how to put my iPhone music into the stereo well. I got the Jabra FM bluetooth transmitter today and it's fuzzy and crappy and I just don't like it. I need a hard wire running (even over bluetooth) to the stereo...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alkaloids
Yep.

So now, the big question is how to put my iPhone music into the stereo well. I got the Jabra FM bluetooth transmitter today and it's fuzzy and crappy and I just don't like it. I need a hard wire running (even over bluetooth) to the stereo...
mObridge

Quick Reply: New Cayenne owner! - couple questions