Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with less options than me ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with less options than me ?

Hi all.

I just ordered a 2011 Cayenne V6. My options are:
- Tiptronic
- Umber Exterior
- Heated Seats

That's it ! Anyone have less options than me ?

Also, I wonder if anyone has spent less time in the decision process ?

I basically went into the dealer showroom and sat in a Cayenne S for probably less than a minute. And then ordered. I've never test driven a Cayenne.

Full Disclosure.
1) I would have test driven the 2011 V6 if they had one to test drive.
2) My wife gave me a tight, limited budget for an 'SUV'. (Ya, I'm a wimp.) I almost bought a 2011 Acura MDX, that was pretty fully loaded.
3) I work at home and don't drive all that much, and most importantly,
4) When I drive, I do have a 2001 Boxster S that I bought new.

- V6Guy
Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

That is a tight budget.
P.S. You have had a Porsche for the last 10 years and just now decided to pop by here or is that a new profile? Welcome and good luck. Might wanna introduce yourself first.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the V6 might be more fun with a manual transmission... and that'd give you some extra $ to put towards other options.

congrats on your new truck! how long do you have to wait to receive it?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

"You have had a Porsche for the last 10 years and just now decided to pop by here or is that a new profile? Welcome and good luck. Might wanna introduce yourself first. "

Yep, once I ordered the Cayenne, I thought I might want to check out the message boards ! LOL. (I did read some good stuff about the 2011 model changes before going for the Cayenne)

So, I'm a rennlist newbie. (I may have had a profile on the rennlist in the past, but if I did it was long ago and rarely used.) I did go by "SCinMA" or maybe it was "SC in MA" on the Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, which I used to read religiously way back when, but didn't post all that often. The PPBB was really active and a great source of Boxster info. I learned a lot there, which really helped me with my buying decision. Sort of the opposite of what I did with the Cayenne ! It was a shame about Chuck Hammersmith (the PPBB originator).

I think I saw that this Cayenne forum is sponsored by Champion. I actually bought my Boxster from Larry Reynolds (I don't know if he's still there) at Champion and had it shipped to me in the Boston area. It was cheaper than buying it locally and I got it faster as well. Boxster availability was tough back then !
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mt-sfo
the V6 might be more fun with a manual transmission... and that'd give you some extra $ to put towards other options.

congrats on your new truck! how long do you have to wait to receive it?
Thanks ! I'm really looking forward to it. I got a late Oct build. I was told I should expect to see it in late Nov/early Dec.

Agreed on the stick, but I had to go with the Tip in case the wife wanted to drive it. (The same thing applied with my Boxster. Of course, she's never driven it !!!)

There were definitely other options I drooled over, but besides keeping my wife happy, the reality is I don't do all that much driving anymore, so my bells and whistles needs were really at a minimum. For example, I really don't need NAV or an upscale sound system. One other option I seriously considered was the Panoramic Roof, which I wish I could have seen. Now if money wasn't an issue, sign me up for the fully loaded Turbo !
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome to RL. It is my thought that if you had waited for a month or two you could have spotted a very lightly optioned base model and could have gotten it for almost the same price as your custom order. You can negotiate better on the existing inventory. But again I only speculate.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.

I think the base Cayenne is a great buy. It has the same interior, and the 300 hp V6 is plenty fast for an SUV. The top speed is 142 MPH! How much faster do you want to go in a SUV?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 AM
ManMachine
Intermediate

I was at the dealer today and there was only one new Cayenne. Base without many options, but given the limited supply, I guess it won't see discount any time soon either.

If I were to build one with a 55K budget, I'd go with 6MT, PASM, PTV+, summer tires, xenon, 14-way seats, Sand white/black (easy to keep clean), heated seats and steering wheel. Enough to enjoy the vehicle.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Xenon is a big plus for me but I found my 06 new on the dealer lot and snaked it for 41k with black, sunroof, heated seats, and tow package..........it only had halogens.......but they are EASY to replace.

Always run premium gas and you will not complain on power.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 PM
copasetic222
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Welcome to Rennlist.

The top speed is 142 MPH! How much faster do you want to go in a SUV?
I've never felt top speed is the point.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Welcome to RL. It is my thought that if you had waited for a month or two you could have spotted a very lightly optioned base model and could have gotten it for almost the same price as your custom order. You can negotiate better on the existing inventory. But again I only speculate.
Thanks for the welcome. It's possible I could have waited for a better deal, however, I was pretty happy with the deal I got, which was a pretty fair discount, with a good trade-in allowance and a fairly good delivery date, so I grabbed it. The sales guy had to alter an existing build order to downgrade it to my paltry option list.

As an alternative to custom ordering, the sales guy showed me the build manifest(or whatever its called). It showed some V6's for pending delivery, however, they all had customer names associated with them, so they weren't available. Also, they all had some number of options that I wasn't interested in. Some other V6's with late Nov build dates and Dec/Jan delivery dates were available, however, they also had options I didn't want. It didn't appear the dealership was ordering any V6's with minimal options.

I guess the bottom line is I felt I got a good deal on what I wanted (er, make that what I was budgeted for) with a fairly soon (late Nov) delivery date. Although I know from experience that this will be a very loooog next couple of months. :-)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Welcome to Rennlist.

I think the base Cayenne is a great buy. It has the same interior, and the 300 hp V6 is plenty fast for an SUV. The top speed is 142 MPH! How much faster do you want to go in a SUV?
Thanks for the welcome. I totally agree about the base Cayenne being a great buy. The base Cayenne has a lot of standard features that were options on my 2001 Boxster S and some standard features that weren't even available on the 'S' back then.

Yep, I certainly have no need to exceed 142 ! Actually, I'm not really a top speed guy anyway, though I do like low-end torque and handling in the twisties. Since I'm buying this to meet my basic SUV needs, I really don't have any kind of performance expectations. So, if this V6 can provide some fun in some nearby twisties, that's all gravy for me !
Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Just a quick update. My V6 is now at the dealer. I should have it in a few days.

I knew it would arrive soon since I just had my winter tires put on my Boxster a couple of days ago. :-) (Once I ordered it, I never bothered to check with the dealer about its arrival. He said late Nov/early Dec and he was right !)

Driving it home will be my first experience driving a Cayenne. My current Cayenne experience is sitting in a 2011 S once for no more than a minute or two. I hope I like it !

It'll be interesting to see if I'll have a yearning for all the options I didn't order.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 211 Posts

Nice, congrats! Be sure to post your impressions after you pick her up!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow, good to know that we can expect another review of a 2011 Cayenne. Advance congratulations. Did you get PASM and servotronic ?

Quick Reply: Anyone with less options than me ?