Sponsored by:

Anyone with less options than me ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Wow, good to know that we can expect another review of a 2011 Cayenne. Advance congratulations. Did you get PASM and servotronic ?
Thanks ! No. The only options I got are:
- Tiptronic
- Umber Exterior
- Heated Seats

The only additional option I almost went for was a moon roof.

After my order was in, I tried to get the non-smoker's option, but I was too late. I didn't know about the servotronic option until recently. I probably would have gotten it.

I don't do much driving and most of it is just local, for short distances.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slwong23
Nice, congrats! Be sure to post your impressions after you pick her up!
Thanks. Will do.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V6Guy
Hi all.

I just ordered a 2011 Cayenne V6. My options are:
- Tiptronic
- Umber Exterior
- Heated Seats

That's it ! Anyone have less options than me ?

Also, I wonder if anyone has spent less time in the decision process ?

I basically went into the dealer showroom and sat in a Cayenne S for probably less than a minute. And then ordered. I've never test driven a Cayenne.

Full Disclosure.
1) I would have test driven the 2011 V6 if they had one to test drive.
2) My wife gave me a tight, limited budget for an 'SUV'. (Ya, I'm a wimp.) I almost bought a 2011 Acura MDX, that was pretty fully loaded.
3) I work at home and don't drive all that much, and most importantly,
4) When I drive, I do have a 2001 Boxster S that I bought new.

- V6Guy
Welcome aboard,

I believe a lot of folks fell into the short seat time decision making process; lucky few they are as "they" will have their vehicle by Nov/Dec if they aren't already in possession.

Just recently, I drove the V6 and it's a knockout! I loved it! This was a few weeks removed driving the CS...I refuse to drive the CTT! I know that if I did, then I would be up the creek without a paddle. If I were to do a close to stock Cayenne then I'd get PASM or PTV over heated seats and exterior color as I felt that there was a little bit of roll and this was on 19"s.

Cannot wait for your review. If you can, please comment on the stock stereo as I've heard the Bose and Burmester, but not the stock stereo. Would like to know how it compares to the Bose and Burmester if you have ever heard it.

Happy trails!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Well, I picked her a short while ago. All I can say is: Wow !!! The base Cayenne is a bargin !

The build quality appears to be excellent. And there's more standard features than I expected.

I had to get back to work, so I basically just drove back from the dealer (the long way with a couple of detours !). I probably did 10 miles highway and 10 local roads. The drivability is excellent. The 8 speed tiptronic is very smooth. I very effortlessly hit 85 on the highway thinking I was only going around 60. Even on the local roads, I found myself going much faster than I thought I was.

I drove pretty conservatively (being new and all that) so I really didn't test for torque, although it did have a bit of a punch the few times I gave it a go. It has a "sport" mode for more torque/higher RPM shifiting, that I didn't even know that it has, but my dealer advised to hold off on using it for 500 miles, so I didn't try it yet. Just based on my short drive, I believe it can be driven in a very sporty way.

Overall, the V6 power won't pin your shoulders to the back of the seat or anything, but it's certainly more than adequate, especially for the limited local driving I do.

I'm not an audiophile at all, so I'm the last person that could provide relevant feedback on the stock audio system. The dealer had it set on a classical music station, which is something I never listen to. However, it sounded great and somehow seemed very appropriate for my drive, so that's what I listened to on my drive home.

If I had a bit of a bigger budget, I would have added a few more options on to my V6. (with an even bigger budget I would have considered the 'S', though an 'S' is well beyond my needs). Related to V6 options, there's currently a very informative V6 thread going on right now with lots of really good option info. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...6-cayenne.html

Bottom line. Overall, based on my very limited, drive home, experience, I'm extremely pleased with my base Cayenne.

Last edited by V6Guy; 12-03-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added link to "V6 rate my build" thread
Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by V6Guy
Well, I picked her a short while ago. All I can say is: Wow !!! The base Cayenne is a bargin !

The build quality appears to be excellent. And there's more standard features than I expected.

I had to get back to work, so I basically just drove back from the dealer (the long way with a couple of detours !). I probably did 10 miles highway and 10 local roads. The drivability is excellent. The 8 speed tiptronic is very smooth. I very effortlessly hit 85 on the highway thinking I was only going around 60. Even on the local roads, I found myself going much faster than I thought I was.

I drove pretty conservatively (being new and all that) so I really didn't test for torque, although it did have a bit of a punch the few times I gave it a go. It has a "sport" mode for more torque/higher RPM shifiting, that I didn't even know that it has, but my dealer advised to hold off on using it for 500 miles, so I didn't try it yet. Just based on my short drive, I believe it can be driven in a very sporty way.

Overall, the V6 power won't pin your shoulders to the back of the seat or anything, but it's certainly more than adequate, especially for the limited local driving I do.

I'm not an audiophile at all, so I'm the last person that could provide relevant feedback on the stock audio system. The dealer had it set on a classical music station, which is something I never listen to. However, it sounded great and somehow seemed very appropriate for my drive, so that's what I listened to on my drive home.

If I had a bit of a bigger budget, I would have added a few more options on to my V6. (with an even bigger budget I would have considered the 'S', though an 'S' is well beyond my needs). Related to V6 options, there's currently a very informative V6 thread going on right now with lots of really good option info. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...6-cayenne.html

Bottom line. Overall, based on my very limited, drive home, experience, I'm extremely pleased with my base Cayenne.
Great to hear your initial impressions, thanks for sharing. Mostly everyone on these forums will suggest the V8, and likely rightfully so. I, too, went with the V6 based on budget (opted for a decent option list over a base CS, as my final build price was close to that of a base CS) and honestly, I've questioned my decision each and every day and probably will until my order arrives. I know the extra $ spent on the CS wouldn't have killed me financially, I just would have felt more guilty because those $s saved will now go to my stepson's first car.

Congrats again, and please post some pictures when you have a chance- haven't seen many "real" photos of the Umber.

Last edited by slwong23; 12-03-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:58 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Im one of the few 6ers around here.........I bought it new in 06 to be my mule, logging long highway trips and having a comfortable "field office", though technology was lacking back in 06.

I pulled my wakeboarding boat with ease, not spectacular but still nothing prettier when it was linked up........dodged a few bullets, coils, coolant pipes, etc the 8ers guys had to tack on another 5k plus to their purchase bottom line.

Its still my clean looking mule doing the highway miles, light offroad for hunting, dog hauler, and all around daily driver....

You'll always remember your first time, at the 6er......I just turned 31 so I think I am well ahead of age group peers and now in the P family officially......welcome....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Mamut79
Advanced

I have 06 VR6 aswell, with manual transmission Very happy after few upgrades.I love that VR6 sound
Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slwong23
Great to hear your initial impressions, thanks for sharing. Mostly everyone on these forums will suggest the V8, and likely rightfully so. I, too, went with the V6 based on budget (opted for a decent option list over a base CS, as my final build price was close to that of a base CS) and honestly, I've questioned my decision each and every day and probably will until my order arrives. I know the extra $ spent on the CS wouldn't have killed me financially, I just would have felt more guilty because those $s saved will now go to my stepson's first car.

Congrats again, and please post some pictures when you have a chance- haven't seen many "real" photos of the Umber.
Hi sl.

I'm not much of camera guy, but I may try to take a few photos. This site here http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/36294567-25.html has great photos of Umber with the Beige interior, which is exactly my color combo. My Cayenne pretty much looks exactly like this one, minus the moonroof, although my Cayenne exterior and interior colors seem to be a bit darker in person compared to the photos, especially the interior. I think the interior looks much better in person than the photos.

The base vs the 'S' wasn't something I actually gave a lot of thought to. For one, my wife definitely limited my budget. And because of my limited driving, I would have really had a tough time selling her on the 'S' because frankly, the V6 makes so much more sense for me on a couple of different levels. It's not that I wouldn't want an 'S', but....

Back in 2001 when I bought my Boxster 'S', I was doing a lot more driving and also, I wanted the most powerful engine I could get in the entry level Porsche sports car. I bought the Boxster as a sports car. So while the Cayenne maybe a sporty SUV, for my needs, I bought it more for the utility than performance/sportiness. (That's what I keep telling myself anyway !!!)

That said, I think the V6 will be pretty sporty. I'll provide more feedback on that as I drive it more.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:49 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Im one of the few 6ers around here.........I bought it new in 06 to be my mule, logging long highway trips and having a comfortable "field office", though technology was lacking back in 06.

I pulled my wakeboarding boat with ease, not spectacular but still nothing prettier when it was linked up........dodged a few bullets, coils, coolant pipes, etc the 8ers guys had to tack on another 5k plus to their purchase bottom line.

Its still my clean looking mule doing the highway miles, light offroad for hunting, dog hauler, and all around daily driver....

You'll always remember your first time, at the 6er......I just turned 31 so I think I am well ahead of age group peers and now in the P family officially......welcome....
Thanks for the welcome. Your avatar's the *****. That's a hell of an all-purpose truck !

I bought mine to be a knock-around vehicle, but it's soooo pretty right now that I'm about ready to relegate my garage queen Boxster to the outdoors so that I can garage it. That's exactly what I didn't want to happen !
Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Enjoy that beauty safely in good health. Let us know more of your impressions as days go by.

Quick Reply: Anyone with less options than me ?