Side Airbags rear
Heated Three-spoke Multifunction Leather Steering Wheel
Fire Extinguisher
Non-smoker Package
Adaptive Cruise Control
XM Satelite Radio
Voice Control
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System

Test drove the turbo and Cayenne S back to back. Could have got the turbo for another $20K but my wife and I got what made sense to us. By this I meant some nice power packed with some performance upgrades which adds that much more to the vehicle's safety and agility. The main draw for a 2011 to us was the LCA, ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL, PDCC, PTV technology and the interior. Burmester was a divine experience (the turbo launch vehicle that I drove had it and the CS had the Bose) and made the Bose look very pedestrian. My family and I love music. Wife loved the two-tone interior and kids wanted a Panorama roof (so I negotiated with them and took off the 4-zone climate control). Road noise not a big factor. We are not dark tint fans. Hence did not go with the noise/thermal glass option. Getting in and out was a tad challenging for my wife but then took everyone's advice and got rid of the running boards. 18-way Seats was so right both from a functional and aesthetic aspect. Left the trim stock (not a big fan of wood and aluminium with the rest of the chrome would be overkill). In fact feel that the piano black hi-gloss with the chrome that is stock would complement the two-tone interior and I saved the $$$ for the aluminium package. The seat belts and instrument gauges in black would go well with the rest of the interior hence got rid of the cognac seat belts and dials in luxor beige saving some more $$$. My wife and I really like how we have spec'd it. The Cayenne S with PASM, air-suspension, PDCC, PTV will be a slight upgrade over our pristine low mileage Sienna ..(which is now up for sale). I will tell all the doubters one thing. The Cayennes are one awesome ride. When I get osteoporosis, low back issues etc in the next 10-15 yrs .... the C4S and the Carrera 3.2 will leave my garage BUT THE CAYENNE S WILL STAY. I really wanted to wait for atleast one year (preferably two) on a new redesigned model BUT MY WIFE/KIDS WANTED ONE NOW. It's all about the family so here you go. Hoping that there are no penalties in store for being the early adopter here ('09 997.2 and the 2011 Cayenne S). Actually feel better about the Cayenne as the DFI/V8/PTV etc is not new, only the 8-speed tiptronic is (previously 7 speed). But I should no better than to doubt the automaker who has ranked number one in reliability.

Now have a couple of weeks to make any changes. Still not sure Umber vs Auburn but feel that Auburn would match the interior more so than the Umber. Thoughts/suggestions as always is very much appreciated.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-27-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent decision on the fire extinguisher, I wish more folks went with that option.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats! Please post pics of the interior when vehicle arrived, love to see the Two-tone Natural Leather in Espresso/Cognac!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Excellent decision on the fire extinguisher, I wish more folks went with that option.

....but lewis...I know I've personally heard you say "let it burn" on several occasions...
Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he meant fire starter kit.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM
ManMachine
Intermediate

I've seen umber in photos and frankly I think it's a bit boring.

Leather - this probably has been asked many times, but how is the natural leather different from the regular leather? Regarding 2-tone finish, I guess the other pieces not finished in leather are just black? Seems that there are a ton of things that you could still make finished leather, silly things like sunvisor and rear review mirror etc.

Having never owned a car with air-springs, I wonder if air springs are worth it. Yes they have a lot of ability to adjust, but probably at a higher repair cost down the road. Also, I imagine I'd spend a lot of time adjusting them. The sports cars don't have them, so I guess they are created for the purpose of a big sedan or truck.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:37 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife and I changed from Umber to Auburn for two reasons: 1. The two tone blends too much with the exterior and would'nt give a contrast. 2. Umber although is a very nice color is somewhat on the dull side (not that there is anything wrong with it). Now we are strongly thinking about the sand white which resembles the MINI cooper's pepper white and feel that it would give us the contrast we are looking for with the espresso/cognac.

I am a huge fan of the natural leather. Have it on my 997.2 and love it. It is created from their best quality hide. The look and feel is really nice and different from standard leather. I keep my cars for a long time so to me spending for natural leather (which wears well over time compared to standard leather) is well worth it. One has to see/feel both back to back.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rome

....but lewis...I know I've personally heard you say "let it burn" on several occasions...
I believe you are referring to the infamous Cayenne Hybrid marshmallow roast...that was Larry in attendance, not me.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Here's a situation where a Cayenne owner might find a fire extinguisher handy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZG42it73s
Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Or maybe here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAXFt5AsY0U
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

....or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbetk...eature=related
Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

As a firefighter in a previous life, always carry a fire extinguisher. It can stop a fire before it becomes a write off.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

A few changes have been made: Changed color to metallic jet black, wheels to Cayenne Sport design 20 inch, added running boards (will make getting out of the vehicle that much easier for my wife and prevent wearing of the 18-way seat's prominent outer bolsters) and model delete.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 AM
ManMachine
Intermediate

20" Sport design wheel seems a bit plain to me. RS Spyder design seems much sharper.

Did you see the 19" turbo wheel in person? I thought it actually looks quite nice from the photo.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 PM
GregW
Track Day

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
A few changes have been made: Changed color to metallic jet black, wheels to Cayenne Sport design 20 inch, added running boards (will make getting out of the vehicle that much easier for my wife and prevent wearing of the 18-way seat's prominent outer bolsters) and model delete.
Won't the running boards making getting out harder due to the extra width? There is a vehicle setting which moves the drivers seat backwards after stopping making it easier to get out and in. Optionally with PASM you can also use the loading level.

Mine is a European perspective so not necessarily relevant in the US but I think the running boards dillute the design philosophy of the 92A a bit. They bulk out the vehicle which is something Porsche was trying to tone down and echo the 'bad old days' of SUV design. I emphasise again this is a European perspective where SUV ownership; particularly the Cayenne, is tantamount to single handedly trying to kill the planet!

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S ordered today