Sponsored by:

2 simple Cayenne questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2 simple Cayenne questions

1- in an AWD car like Cayenne, where are the better tires preferred in gaining most winter traction, Rear or Front?

2-Does driving the car in the manual (M2,M3,...) cause more wear on transmission when compared to the Automatic?

TIA.
Sam
Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rear
No
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 946 Posts

I'm not sure why you're asking the first question, but if you are considering putting snow tires on only two wheels, I'd reconsider that decision. If you have all-seasons on two wheels and snow tires on two wheels, the results will be bad on either the front or the back.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
Rear
No
Thanks Lewis. I think you answered my questions.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm not sure why you're asking the first question, but if you are considering putting snow tires on only two wheels, I'd reconsider that decision. If you have all-seasons on two wheels and snow tires on two wheels, the results will be bad on either the front or the back.
Dennis, i have a set of winter tires used for 3 seasons (scorpions) and I don't mean to mix tires rather I noticed there seems to be more wear on one pair... therefore my question.
Thanks.
Sam

BTW: I do miss my Twin Turbo.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good question. The Cayenne seems to defy logic and tire physics by wearing the fronts much quicker than the rears; even though it's an AWD and the rear tires tend to put more power on the road than the front tires.

I just finished rotating my factory 21's (probably for the last time in their short lifespan) by putting the worn front tires on the rear. I know that this isn't the logical route to take however the front tires, particularly the edges, wear at an extremely high rate; almost as if the tires are under-inflated. Is this because of the low profile 35-series tires? The dealer says that it's normal.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Rear
No
If I had to choose one end I actually think I would choose the front. Better to have steering and braking traction than accelerating traction.

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Good question. The Cayenne seems to defy logic and tire physics by wearing the fronts much quicker than the rears
This sound like another reason to put the better tire on the front. If they are wearing faster on the front you will get better life out of the set with the good ones on front.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Most tire shops will put the better tires on the rear for liability reasons. Reason being, with better traction on the rear, the car tends to understeer more which is considered to be safer and more predictable than the oversteer that would result from having less traction on the rears...
Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 946 Posts

I haven't noticed uneven wear on my Cayenne's tires. I rotate them every 5K miles.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Thank you all. It seems like the answer to my question is not as straight forward as I first thought. My front tires do wear faster (I admit, I don't rotate my tires)). Is it as simple as the extra weight of the motor on front wheels causing the extra wear? my main goal is to have better traction and control of the car especially during the snow days.
I'll ask our area indy and post the answer if useful.
Be well.
Sam
Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Thank you all. It seems like the answer to my question is not as straight forward as I first thought. My front tires do wear faster (I admit, I don't rotate my tires)). Is it as simple as the extra weight of the motor on front wheels causing the extra wear?
Yes
my main goal is to have better traction and control of the car especially during the snow days.
Be well.
Sam
Hence putting them on the rears, since IIRC, the F/R power distribution is a bit biased towards the back...it's hard to get a Cayenne to exhibit torque steering.
Having said that, I would always prefer 4 matching tires on an AWD (not 4WD) vehicle.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The touaregs had this problem in the beginning, VW was even replacing tires for free since they were wearing out in less than 15k.

Solution ended up being alignment issues from factory. Get a good quality place with a 4 wheel electronic alignment shop for the toe and camber and it should take care of the issue. Shouldn't cost you more than $100 to have it done.

Thank you all. It seems like the answer to my question is not as straight forward as I first thought. My front tires do wear faster (I admit, I don't rotate my tires)). Is it as simple as the extra weight of the motor on front wheels causing the extra wear? my main goal is to have better traction and control of the car especially during the snow days.
I'll ask our area indy and post the answer if useful.
Be well.
Sam
Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by touareg
The touaregs had this problem in the beginning, VW was even replacing tires for free since they were wearing out in less than 15k.

Solution ended up being alignment issues from factory. Get a good quality place with a 4 wheel electronic alignment shop for the toe and camber and it should take care of the issue. Shouldn't cost you more than $100 to have it done.
And not surpring, Cayennes had the same problem in the beginning as well...who would have thought since they are so different.

IIRC, there were 2or3 alignment specification updates...still small in number compared to the coil packs or rear window microswitch.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
...still small in number compared to the coil packs or rear window microswitch.
Rear window microswitch? Cruel visions of children getting decapitated by rear windows have entered my mind!

Please explain....

Quick Reply: 2 simple Cayenne questions