Sponsored by:

Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel Question

If you get the 2011 Cayenne with 21" sport design wheels w/arch extensions, is it a possibility to get 19" wheels put on it? I had asked my father about it and he said no because of the arch extensions, but I wanted to make sure. The reason I am asking is because I never really considered potholes, curbs, etc.(got 2 flats on the right side at the same time and damaged the front right rim) If anyone has any input on this, that would be great.( Plus I see or hear that the 19" wheels give you a better/softer ride over the 21" wheels).
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the brake caliper size and clearance on the '11 Turbo are anything like the previous generation Cayenne Turbo, yes a 19" should fit regardless of the wheel arch extensions. I know of some people that have even fit 18's on their Turbo/GTS with the Big Red brake calipers.

If you swap a 21" sport-design for a 19" model, the 19" tire's sidewall will be higher in order to maintain the same rolling diameter as the 21's. The wheel arch extensions should make absolutely no difference in this matter provided that the wheel offsets are identical. If you stick to an OEM Porsche rim, there should'nt be any issues.

Yes, your ride will be much smoother and softer with the 19's however you will definitely lose out on the handling you now have with the 21's. In addition, your gorgeous truck will look like #$&^!!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Thanks for the input, and honestly I am not a wheel expert, and did not know the 21" tires gives you better handling. Also do the new 19" tires really look that bad?

Last edited by Alichtenberg; 09-07-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: changed give to gives
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Loutorious
Track Day

Had first set of 22 gemballa on my CTT bent both right rims plus flat after 4 months in NYC, Sunday night. Luckily my brother was home and got my other rims to me changed them on the street, such an ordeal. Fixed rim painted them black, but bent right front rim after 1 month not knowing where it happened. I was really careful with second set but still managed to scrape the crap out of them from curbs. The last incident took a dime size chunk out of the rim and the tire. 22 looks great but had to look out for every pot holes and curbs; takes the fun out of driving. I just replaced with my 18 and driving is fun again. I can drive like mad without having to worry about emergency pothole brake or swerve. However, it does look sh*tty compared to the 22s.

Like Andy said, I am pretty sure the 19 will fit on the 2011 turbo since thats the OEM size. Wheel arch doesn't change anything.

Good luck
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
keresks7
Intermediate

19's fit on the 2011 turbo. U need them especially if u want to have fun in the winter with winter tires. Cheers

Quick Reply: Wheel Question