Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
I figure that the average Cayenne customer does not know that it is a Volkswagen. Porsche must be getting the platform for a song.
Fixed it for you ... but in the end, it's badge buying, followed by service quality.

The Cayenne was the most VAG product since the 924/944 days and it didn't seem to matter to the targeted demographic.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Fixed it for you ... but in the end, it's badge buying, followed by service quality.

The Cayenne was the most VAG product since the 924/944 days and it didn't seem to matter to the targeted demographic.
I dunno Lewis, the Cayenne seems better built than the 996 is
Old 09-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
maybe like a "Sports sedan"

I thought about typing sedan instead of car myself. But having owned a couple of highly modified Audi "Sports Sedans" I actually think the CTT handles better.

As strange as it may seem some seemingly minor elements make this thing handle more sports car than sedan when pushed hard.

....and just for the fun of it. This one was hanging just fine in the corners and overpowering on the straights. (with snow tires) Obviously there may be some driver differneces, but it is still pretty track capable.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc

VW/Porsche have been in bed with each other from day 1. So what.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Lewis, you may have forgotten this famous VW/Porsche joint venture....
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole
....and just for the fun of it. This one was hanging just fine in the corners and overpowering on the straights. (with snow tires) Obviously there may be some driver differneces, but it is still pretty track capable.
A V8 Turbo overpowering a 964 on the straights ... yawn.

This is usually followed by the V8 Turbo holding everyone up in the turns and the cycle repeats endlessly.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Lewis, you may have forgotten this famous VW/Porsche joint venture....
No, as a matter of fact, a nice 914 2.0L has always been on my list of cars to own someday.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by ltc
A V8 Turbo overpowering a 964 on the straights ... yawn.

Your posts and repeated bashing of a car you don't own. YAWN!

.....and the engine size and induction should not matter. Its all power to weight.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Your posts and repeated bashing of a car you don't own. YAWN! ...
Yes, it's nice to be able to say that ... at least until one side or the other lifts the restraining order
However, it nice to see the Cayenne has a growing fan base.

.....and the engine size and induction should not matter. Its all power to weight.
Power to weight...in a turn....care to think about that for a moment?

A large, high center of gravity vehicle is more likely than not going to hold up a smaller lighter lower CG vehicle in the same turn.

Don't make me dig up Sir Isaac Newton ... he was resting after a long late night game of poker with Albert Einstein and Larry.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Cole
Drifting

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ltc
Y
Power to weight...in a turn....care to think about that for a moment?

See, there you go with you inability to actually read and follow a conversation. Inserting what you want and twisting it to serve your Cayenne hating agenda.

YOU were talking about a V8 Turbo's power in A STRAIGHT LINE. I was replying to your comment about the ability of one car to overtake the other IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

...and FWIW a high roof line is only one variable. Suspension design and the actual location of the weight has a lot to do with it. The Cayennes weight is not on the top.

We get it already!!! You are one of those old school purists that can't stand the idea that Porsche ever made a SUV. So you somehow think that if you can convince every person in the world they are bad Porsche will somehow go back in time and only make poor handling underpowered air/oil cooled cars.

If they did not make the Cayenne Porsche would be only a memory at this point.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

We get it already!!! You are one of those old school purists that can't stand the idea that Porsche ever made a SUV. So you somehow think that if you can convince every person in the world they are bad Porsche will somehow go back in time and only make poor handling underpowered air/oil cooled cars.

Don't get carried away with yourself. I wouldn't call the 964 a poor handling or under powered car. Let's see, your CTT is what 10 years newer, it has more technical innovations behind it (suspension, brakes, etc). Let's see, your CTT has what, 100hp more power plus it's a turbo, must I go on.

How did the CTT handle the yellow vette in the pic?

You may have beat the "old" 964 but you have alot of advantages over it, post pics when you have a 997 out there with ya
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by ChristianR
Don't get carried away with yourself. I wouldn't call the 964 a poor handling or under powered car. Let's see, your CTT is what 10 years newer, it has more technical innovations behind it (suspension, brakes, etc). Let's see, your CTT has what, 100hp more power plus it's a turbo, must I go on.

How did the CTT handle the yellow vette in the pic?

You may have beat the "old" 964 but you have alot of advantages over it, post pics when you have a 997 out there with ya

The Vette was always behind the CTT for as long as I was watching. (a few laps, but I don't know anything about any of the drivers or the car set ups either)

I consider the 964 poor handling and under powered compared to my older better balanced and more powerful 951
Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

See, there you go with you inability to actually read and follow a conversation. Inserting what you want and twisting it to serve your Cayenne hating agenda.

YOU were talking about a V8 Turbo's power in A STRAIGHT LINE. I was replying to your comment about the ability of one car to overtake the other IN A STRAIGHT LINE..
Sorry, I thought I saw some not straight sections of track in those pictures, sort of a poorly laid out 1/4 mile drag strip ... my apologies, I thought they looked a lot like what I would have called 'turns'.

...and FWIW a high roof line is only one variable. Suspension design and the actual location of the weight has a lot to do with it. The Cayennes weight is not on the top. .

Where is the engine CG relative to the vehicle CG?
Is the V8 as optimal as a flat 6 for CG?
The weight is certainly a lot closer to the top. There comes a point where suspension travel runs out and the Titanic lists to starboard and sinks...although usually the tires give up before that.

BTW, folks will go to extreme lengths to remove a sunroof to help with CG and handling....folks being Carrera folks.

Porsche is only a memory at this point. No longer an independent company, now just a badge under the VW umbrella.
Did you not get the memo?
I heard it too many times from Dr. W.; how exactly did that story end?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

The Vette was always behind the CTT for as long as I was watching. (a few laps, but I don't know anything about any of the drivers or the car set ups either)

I consider the 964 poor handling and under powered compared to my older better balanced and more powerful 951
Dunno about that, the 964 as far as a straight line is pretty much on line with the 944t. cant say its better balanced than a 944t since i have never driven one but the 964 was definately not a poor handling or underpowered Porsche
Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Where is the engine CG relative to the vehicle CG?
Is the V8 as optimal as a flat 6 for CG?
The weight is certainly a lot closer to the top.
Weak argument considering the number of V8 powered race cars ...........and the V8 porsches beating up on the flat 6 cars.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...D_AM/100139996

[quotw

Porsche is only a memory at this point. No longer an independent company, now just a badge under the VW umbrella.
Did you not get the memo?
I heard it too many times from Dr. W.; how exactly did that story end?[/QUOTE]

More of the old school attitude.

I would agree with you if it were any other company. Porsche and VW were wtarted from the same family tree and have shared bits and pieces since day one. If Porsche has any chance its with VW.

We will just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: Why??