Sponsored by:

Used Cayenne Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
I have a hard, fast rule on owning pre-owned, newer P-cars. I would not own one without a CPO.
It's not even an option for this one as it's 5 years old and been out of factory warranty for the last three years.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
It's not even an option for this one as it's 5 years old and been out of factory warranty for the last three years.
Porsche North Scottsdale had a 2003 CTT with 40K miles for sale last month with a CPO which provided two additional years and up to 100K miles. Not sure how often something like that comes up, but Porsche dealers do sell cars older than 5 years old with CPOs.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry mate, shoud've put my location on my profile. Short of it is, I'm 6000 miles away from most of the members in ths forum .:-)

This example here is being sold by a Merc dealer so no P warranty....
Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Jay
Porsche North Scottsdale had a 2003 CTT with 40K miles for sale last month with a CPO which provided two additional years and up to 100K miles. Not sure how often something like that comes up, but Porsche dealers do sell cars older than 5 years old with CPOs.
Unless Porsche has changed their policy CPO only adds 2 yrs. (and up to 100K mi.) to the warranty. For a '03 most likely it was CPO before and is now being re-sold. You don't get 2 additional yrs. from the date you buy the vehicle.

You can go online a get Porsche's CPO policy and verify the vehicle is actually covered. When I was looking for mine a dealer in KY claimed a 53K mi. Cayenne was CPO but when I checked it myself I found in was not eligible for CPO coverage, at first they insisted it was but then when I presented my research to them they decided I was right and removed their CPO designation.

As for a V6, as I understand they're fine vehicles but underpowered for most of us lead foots (myself included). For your wife it might be an outstanding vehicle though. I do find it strange a V6 with the towing pkg., if you plan to tow anything make sure you know the V6 towing limits.

As for the price, I think they're smoking something good in Tampa, and it's not the cigars......
Old 08-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
318, I believe only one post stated this. In essence, wouldn't this same fear of having to pay for repairs apply to any used make or model vehicle out there?

BTW, I'm driving a 19-year old sports car without a warranty and I sleep well at night.
Totally agree!

Love my 24 year old Porsche and my 6 year old Cayenne.

I don't think the cpo is a bad idea but it often comes at a premium higher than the cost of the common repair issues.

Which also means that there are good deals to be had on cars out of warranty. Just budget in a few thousand for *potential* repairs. If they never come you are money ahead, if you have to shell out for them then you should be about even. The only real advantage to a warranty at this point is the random rare catastrophic type failure.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
- be careful on this forum. You read through the posts and you are convinced that this car must be the biggest piece of s6it that Porsche ever built. Fact is that most people seem to use this forum to discuss their problems with the car and not the great experiences. Fact is that there is a wealth of knowledge and sharing on this board, just don't get swayed by people only talking about their problems..
Isn't that the nature of a Porsche technical forum?
What would be the value in people posting trying to determine who loves their P!g the most?

The alpha and beta years were "interesting", but a LOT was learned about the P!g that still holds true today. In fact, most issues still being discussed can trace their history back to "the good old days"....except perhaps of course the A506 Cowboy Belt Buckle recall, that was a special moment in hiostory.

As for being the biggest piece of s6it that Porsche ever produced, it is clearly on the podium in that category, IMHO.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:30 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Unless Porsche has changed their policy CPO only adds 2 yrs. (and up to 100K mi.) to the warranty. For a '03 most likely it was CPO before and is now being re-sold. You don't get 2 additional yrs. from the date you buy the vehicle.
The dealer was VERY insistent on showing me the paper work that detailed the warranty coverage for 2 years from the purchase date of whomever would buy that 03. I test drove the car and thought it drove outstandingly well for an almost 8 year old vehicle, but was not interested in paying the full $41K they were asking for it. There's actually a thread on it somewhere here with a VIN #. I don't discount what you're saying though, see below....

You can go online a get Porsche's CPO policy and verify the vehicle is actually covered. When I was looking for mine a dealer in KY claimed a 53K mi. Cayenne was CPO but when I checked it myself I found in was not eligible for CPO coverage, at first they insisted it was but then when I presented my research to them they decided I was right and removed their CPO designation.
I probably would have gone to that extent before making that purchase on that 03, but as it turns out, somebody else ended up paying the asking price on it.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Big Easy Sharkster
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

- notwithstanding the above, I would not buy any of these cars without warranty
- go to the Porsche USA Website and go through the Pre-owned Car Search which will give you a good sense of asking prices.[/QUOTE]

Frank, good suggestion on the Porsche website search. Very helpful
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

As a 928er you are well prepared for the "nuances" of a Cayenne
Old 04-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Big Easy Sharkster
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So it's taken almost 5 yrs since I started this thread, but this week I'm picking up a new '16 Cayenne, 6 cyl. These cars seem to have little depreciation there4 decided might as well get a new one and make my own problems rather inherit someone else's. Also getting the extended warranty.

I'll post some pics once I take delivery
Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Big Easy Sharkster
These cars seem to have little depreciation....
You missed April 1st by a couple of days!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Easy Sharkster
So it's taken almost 5 yrs since I started this thread, but this week I'm picking up a new '16 Cayenne, 6 cyl. These cars seem to have little depreciation there4 decided might as well get a new one and make my own problems rather inherit someone else's. Also getting the extended warranty.

I'll post some pics once I take delivery

pretty sure these cars have OUTRAGEOUS depreciation...?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Cole
Drifting

If you look on cars.com the highest priced Cayenne is ~$150,000 and the lowest is about ~$8,000(and it is a V8 not a V6)

The base price of a zero option V6 is now about $58,000 according to the Porsche site. On cars.com there are many 958 V6 Cayennes around the $30,000 mark.

Which simply means they depreciate just like any other car. 50% in 4-5 years.

IMO the ONLY reason to buy a new V6 Cayenne is ego. The "hey look at me! I've got a new Porsche!"

A car loving enthusiast would have a several year old Turbo, GTS or S for the same or less money!!

Even a new Turbo or GTS shows that you care enough about the Performance of the car to pony up for the real deal!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OP was perhaps referring to this ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...reciation.html
Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 06 Cayenne base in 2006 for about 46k out the door.....I have almost 180k miles on it. Have not had a car payment in a few years. And it still gets compliments after a fresh wash/wax. I would recommend the Base, since you are taking the net new hit, finance in the 100k warranty. And now buy out Walmart of 0W-40 .

Quick Reply: Used Cayenne Info