Used Cayenne Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Big Easy Sharkster
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Used Cayenne Info

Guys,

excuse the intrusion to your forum as I'm a card carrying 928 relic, but the wife is looking at a 2008 Cayenne tiptronic S, 6 cyl w/ 32,000 miles on it. It's coming from a reputible Porsche dealer w/ a full waranty. I know nothing about these cars and was looking for any advice or points to look for. They're asking $43k for it.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With CPO?

Options? PASM? Condition of brakes and tires?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Big Easy Sharkster
Rennlist Member

What's CPO? I don't see CPO or PASM listed. Here's what's listed as options:

PK1 - Front Seat Heater inc Str Whl
9AD - Automatic Climate Control
1NP - Wheel Hub Covers Colored Crest
PG1 - Driver Seat Memory
PC3 - Bi-Xenon Headlights w/ Washers
3FE - Moonroof
PPA - Preferred Package
G0R - Tiptronic S
1D6 - Trailer Hitch w/o Hitch Ball

Mostly, I was looking to pick your brain for mechanical issues that particulr model years might have.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:38 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

CPO = certified pre-owned

PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management

Just to be clear, you stated "2008 Cayenne tiptronic S, 6 cyl..." A Cayenne S is a V8, which happens to be a Porsche V8. A Cayenne 6 cyl is a VW VR6. If it's a V8, search for following in this forum and you will have lots to read about:

- coolant pipes
- cardan shaft
- coils

If it's a V6, I have no idea why but I don't see too much V6 owners on this forum. Maybe they have less problem? Maybe they are less enthusiastic about their ride? But one thing for sure is I see just as many V6 running around, if not more, than the S and Turbos combined. Or you can try a Touareg forum?

Also, IMO, $43k for a V6 sounds like a lot. A brand new 2011, which is a completely new bodystyle starts at high $40s base MSRP. Not sure if it is in stock yet or just on its way but my local dealer has some listing from low $50s to mid $50s. If it's a V8, that sounds about right, they are like $70s and up.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Easy Sharkster
Mostly, I was looking to pick your brain for mechanical issues that particulr model years might have.
In general, 1st generation Cayennes were plagued with various problems (notably 2004-2005 M.Y.). By 2008 with the 2nd generation Cayenne, most of the problems were ironed out and the cars were relatively (in a German car sense) less prone in giving you major headaches. My understanding is that the V6 model that you are looking at was less prone to experiencing engine problems that the V8 had in the early years.

If you opt for 2009/2010 models, you'll take advantage of the newer PCM 3.0 navigation/radio/phone control module which consists of a touch-screen display. Not much else has changed between 08 and 09/10 models. The CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) warranty can only be obtained by buying your Pepper thru a Porsche dealer as the car goes thru a rigorous inspection process where all worn consumables such as tires/brake pads/oils are replaced regardless of condition and the entire vehicle inspected for any anomalies.

As far as price is concerned, I'm sure that you can bargain down your dealer in Tampa at least another $2K. Here's a typical '08 Cayenne that is being sold by Jim Ellis Porsche out of Atlanta. Jim Ellis Porsche gets back all the executive cars that the Porsche staff drive, so mileage is usually pretty low on these cars.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

BTW, it would be nice to have yet another shark owner on this forum to get the testosterone levels here upped a bit higher!! Good luck on your Pepper Hunt!!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Big Easy, I think you can do better than that for a V6 without a CPO (As wilfred stated, Certified Pre-Owned). I bought my 08 Cayenne S last month with 30K miles from a Porsche dealer with a CPO, new tires and new brakes on all 4 corners for the equivalent of $47K (factoring what I received for my trade in). It was a decent deal for Arizona, but after looking online after my purchase, there's a dealer in Texas that seems to be discounting compared to other dealers....up to 10% less for similarly equipped Cayenne S.

I highly recommend the S, though if you're looking for just a luxury SUV first with no care for grunt/power, the V6 will do. I think most of the issues that 03-06 Cayenne's have had were worked out for the 08-10 models. The Cayenne's do eat brake pads and rotors pretty quickly. Also, I haven't been happy with my dealer experience with service and overcharging, but these are things that can be solved rather easily....overall the only thing I'd do over is maybe springing another $10K or so for a Turbo instead of the S.

BTW, the CPO program by Porsche gives you 2 years warranty from the end date of your original warranty or up to 100K miles, whichever comes first.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

100k 2006 base owner from mile 0.......only needed cardan shaft brakes tires oil and gas...............it loves all of the above too.

You should just got pickup a 2006 S or V6 base for 20k.....the car will go 400k miles and you wont have any depreciation hits.......you will have to address the coolant tubes and coils(V8 Issue only* engine heat is the reason), and cardan shaft on both models no matter what so cozy up with Suncoast.

I am about to add turbo 911 or 06 Cayenne Turbo S in the stable.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Big Easy Sharkster
Rennlist Member

Excellent info and many thanks.

My mistake on the 'S', I rechecked and it's not an S, it's a 6 cylinder. This is what I want, keep in mind, this is for the wife and plenty of power for her.

It is a CPO. In discussions with the dealer they said this would be a 5 yr, 100K warranty (ie, 3 yrs left on present warranty plus 2 more as 00Jay said)

Andy, thanks for the comparison with Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta. Helps greatly.

Appreciate the assistence.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:09 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

For pricing, $43k is a little high for a 3 year old truck. I would think somewhere in the mid $30s may be more realistic, even with CPO. It is definitely a buyers market so be patient.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

I am about to pull the plug and add one of these to my stable as well. Here are my thoughts:

- be careful on this forum. You read through the posts and you are convinced that this car must be the biggest piece of s6it that Porsche ever built. Fact is that most people seem to use this forum to discuss their problems with the car and not the great experiences. Fact is that there is a wealth of knowledge and sharing on this board, just don't get swayed by people only talking about their problems.
- notwithstanding the above, I would not buy any of these cars without warranty
- go to the Porsche USA Website and go through the Pre-owned Car Search which will give you a good sense of asking prices.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but you guys don't recommend getting one without a warranty? Am looking at a '05 S out-of-warranty, 50k miles, manual(!).
Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but you guys don't recommend getting one without a warranty?
318, I believe only one post stated this. In essence, wouldn't this same fear of having to pay for repairs apply to any used make or model vehicle out there?

BTW, I'm driving a 19-year old sports car without a warranty and I sleep well at night.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:10 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

The second generation 6 has a little more power than the original -- its still not a V8 - the MPG is not that much better -- but if you are putting a lot of highway miles on it that will make a difference.

The Cayenne like a lot of complicated cars has a few issues that need to be looked into. The CPO vehicles are a great way to go especially if you find a low mile car that has not been touched.

It really depends on how long you are going to keep it - I have seen 06 V8's with 20k on them. The CPO takes you out 2 years. But this will not work if you require a longer warranty.

43k does sound a little high for a used 6 w/32K
Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am waiting to pickup a Turbo with 100k for 20-25kk range......I know what if any problems it should run into, where to buy, and how to do it.

I just want one for the weekends and maybe to show off...........Ill probably drive it less than 5k miles a year......just need to get crazy once or twice a month .
Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a hard, fast rule on owning pre-owned, newer P-cars. I would not own one without a CPO.

The parts and labor rates alone will drain your finances in case of a medium to major issue.

I would rather front-load the purchase price with the CPO then wait and hope something doesn't go wrong. My CPO has saved my hide several times.

Coils 2x
Coolant pipes
Control arm bushings
Overhead console w/switches
Four wheel drive actuator motor
Several small sensors, etc.

Quick Reply: Used Cayenne Info