Sponsored by:

Service Now???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Default Service Now???

So I am on vacation down the Jersey shore. Just had the 04 Turbo serviced a few weeks ago and a day after I got it back the service soon warning came on. that was at 48600 miles. To date the car has never had a major issue. I called the shop doing the work about the service soon notice and they reviewed what was done to the car and said drive it until 50,000 miles and bring it in for an oil change.

The car ran perfectly until last night at 7pm I go to drive it and it starts but is rough as can be and is blowing black smoke out the tail pipes. The warning now says service now. Not sure what is going on I know it isn't good. Currently the car has 49,190 miles so we didn't drive it much. last oil change was 8000 miles ago and all service is up to date including new coils etc.

Anyone experience this before. Might have to flatbed it 100 miles north but was curious if anyone knows if there is something simple that needs to be addressed.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have the Cayenne with me this weekend - and I forget the dash warnings.

Do you get the engine light and a "soon" warning and a flashing engine light and a "now" warning. On most cars the engine light comes on for all kinds of codes but when the engine light flashes it is detecting a misfire great enough to send unburned gasoline into the Cats. This gas will start to burn off in the catalytic converters and overheat them -- not good. The black smoke is unburned gasoline.

There are a lot of items that can cause this but the problem with the coils is so widespread - too bad you don't have a code reader. My 06 S had three coil issues all before 40k -- the last two times all 8 coils were replaced. So even if they were replaced at some point this could still be your problem.

Make sure nothing has come loos or split on any of the plastic air intakes -- a big leak can cause this but you would most likely hear it. My 996tt blew the intake and I had the same symptoms - but I have not heard of any thing like this on the Cayenne. A failed MAF sensor can also cause this.

Good luck -- its a pain when your away
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Don't have the Cayenne with me this weekend - and I forget the dash warnings.

Do you get the engine light and a "soon" warning and a flashing engine light and a "now" warning. On most cars the engine light comes on for all kinds of codes but when the engine light flashes it is detecting a misfire great enough to send unburned gasoline into the Cats. This gas will start to burn off in the catalytic converters and overheat them -- not good. The black smoke is unburned gasoline.

There are a lot of items that can cause this but the problem with the coils is so widespread - too bad you don't have a code reader. My 06 S had three coil issues all before 40k -- the last two times all 8 coils were replaced. So even if they were replaced at some point this could still be your problem.

Make sure nothing has come loos or split on any of the plastic air intakes -- a big leak can cause this but you would most likely hear it. My 996tt blew the intake and I had the same symptoms - but I have not heard of any thing like this on the Cayenne. A failed MAF sensor can also cause this.

Good luck -- its a pain when your away
That is what is so strange. No other lights. just rough running and smoke. Service Now comes up and then goes away. I am thinking it is either electrical or a computer issue. All coils were replaced 10k miles ago although the old ones were fine I decided to have them done anyhow. I have heard Porsche has been having issues with the 996 coils. I have heard of someone who had problems 200 miles after the new ones were installed. However i have never heard of this with the Cayenne.

The only thing we noticed was the alarm went off 3 times for no reason even though the car was not locked and the windows open. When we got in to drive later these symptoms. Having a flatbed pick it up and drive it north. Rental car is on it's way.

I will post when I find out what the problem is, not worth worrying about on vacation.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 533 Posts

Anthony, sorry to hear about this. Let me know if you I can be of any help - don't have the Cayenne yet and no trailer yet either. Guess, I could give you the GT3 to get home but I am not sure the whole family will fit in it.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Anthony, sorry to hear about this. Let me know if you I can be of any help - don't have the Cayenne yet and no trailer yet either. Guess, I could give you the GT3 to get home but I am not sure the whole family will fit in it.
Frank,

your awake. I just sent you a PM.

My sons PC crashed right after I posted this yesterday. It has been a rough weekend. So much for relaxation. I appreciate the offer as it is quite tempting.

Rental car will work just fine, insurance pays for it anyway.

Sorry I didn't have time to get together.

Will talk to you soon
Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well .........good luck with this. I don't think it will be hard to figure out once the codes are looked into. I have had coils fail in 10k -- and it is a widespread problem on this engine.

A weak battery causes absolute havoc in many modern cars - how old is the battery? They can still be strong enough to start the car and be a problem. If its the original battery I would definitely get it replaced - that could be you alarm issue.

They can cause all kinds of warning messages and failed systems -- although I don't see it or at least have not heard of it causing any engine running issues.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coils on our 04 were gone at 10k also but they were the 01's.
Comparing the 01's and 07's, I could see no difference but maybe one of the P-Mechs can chime in here and tell us how the updated coils are better. No CEL light or anything otherwise, ran OK with a slight miss.

I did an oil change on our 2010 A4, no more dipstick if you can believe this BS!!
Just to relate to your systems, you take off a cap where the dipstick should be to test level with a measuring tool. I forgot to put the cap on and the car started to buck and blow smoke, nothing to move mosquitos but a weird smell.
Put the cap on and smooth as butter. You may have an air leak, look around if your handy and make sure all is good.

About your Alarm, same thing happens to ours but only when my Mother drives the CTT. Battery is from 2003 so maybe time for a new one?

Let us know what the dealer finds out!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Just got word. It isn't coils it is the cam shaft adjuster. Apparently it will take a while. Thankfully I have the extended warranty which seems to be paying for itself the third time over.

Quick Reply: Service Now???