Sponsored by:

Auto Recirculation for AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 AM
cayenneturbo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Auto Recirculation for AC

I was wondering at what point the auto recirculation turns on? I live in AZ where the temp gets to 115 outside. I usually hit the recirc button to where I know it is on, but it is off when i restart the car. Just wondering if anyone know at what temp or what difference in temps between the outside and inside does it recirculate automatically.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 12:46 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed!

<-Fellow AZ P!g owner with black leather.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The A/C control unit is over engineered - to the point of being silly.

I have had numerous problems with the Climate Control in my 06. Sadly no one really knew the correct operation of the system well enough to explain it. This was with multiple dealerships and from Porsche Corporate. They finally just replaced all the control parts and blower.

Please, someone .............. tell me what the big vent in the upper middle of the dash is really for!!!

The system can be programed to start in particular mode -- even within "Auto". This can throw you off if you are trying to figure it out. The system will (should) default to this programed setting every time the car is started. It can also do a partial setting of the outside flaps.

The system will use recirc regardless of how you have it set. It will turn it "off" even if you have it "on" after a set amount of time and temp. The secondary auto function recirc button just increases the sensitivity of the system by adding in additional sensors to increase the times the system will use the recirc function.

It has sensors checking the incoming outside air - these sensors will override whatever is set. The speed of the car will also change the setting. Living in an extreme climate you may be outside of the parameters of the system - it may be turning off the recirc believing that it can maintain temps with outside air when in fact it can not.

Try this after you have been out driving and the car's inside temps have stabilized. With the system in "auto" and the recirc in "auto" and the car in drive but not moving - hit the windshield wash function......... The A/C system should quickly close the outside flaps .......... I guess to keep any washer fluid from getting into the system??

One would have thought that the Germans would have long ago stopped designing climate control and audio systems ........but they are stubborn.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

The Center vent on the top of the dash is to prevent so much heat buildup from the big windshield.

Quick Reply: Auto Recirculation for AC