Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Now.

Why would you not want to do something that will keep it nicer over the long term?
Since you've added the above.

You are in it "long term", but not everyone is. Learn to live with different points of view.

How's this - aesthetically it doesn't appeal to me. OP asked for opinions and that's mine. Leave it at saying that you're "pro tinting"
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM
CDH-CTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it!!! I have Limo on the back windows and 15% on the front drivers and passenger, then my windshied is 50% .... Makes a HUGE difference here in Arizona parked in the Sun all day!!! The down side is that at night it makes backing up kinda hard to see.... most of the time i have to roll a window or two down and really "trust" the rear PDC......hahahahaha

Carl
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 PM
RxPorsche
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote for tinted.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My GTS has the tints on the front windows and came that way from the first owner who lived in Orlando,FL.
https://rennlist.com/forums/7723494-post640.html

FWIW, I hate them. I've been too lazy to get them removed and quite frankly, I'm waiting until I get pulled over by the police and issued a warning, before having them removed.

Yes, the car looks 'kick-***' however visibility at night is very poor and I feel like I'm conveying both the 'drug dealer' and 'racer' image by driving around with them applied.

BTW Enigma, my aunt had those plastic furniture covers on her living room furniture. We were not allowed to sit in there except for special occasions. Forty years later, she still has that same furniture with the same covers; both in pristine condition! Worse, we're still not allowed to sit on that furniture!! LOL!

Did I also mention that she has a small lockable gate that prevents unauthorized entry to the living room?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.

BTW Enigma, my aunt had those plastic furniture covers on her living room furniture. We were not allowed to sit in there except for special occasions. Forty years later, she still has that same furniture with the same covers; both in pristine condition! Worse, we're still not allowed to sit on that furniture!! LOL!

Did I also mention that she has a small lockable gate that prevents unauthorized entry to the living room?
I guarantee you that leather interior WITH tint will hold up just great on a 40 y/o P!G
Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
What's your opinion on keeping plastic on furniture to preserve it for as long as possible?
Not really an equal comparison at all.

I guarantee you that leather interior WITH tint will hold up just great on a 40 y/o P!G

Might at least help the resale of a 10 year old Cayenne.

I'm always happy to see a used car with at least some level of tint on it. The interior is usually in better shape.

I've always been able to get a touch of a premium out of my used cars due to the overall condition of them. Which would include the interiors that have always been shielded from the sun.

It should also be noted that I live in a state with nearly 340 days a year of sunshine and don't have a parking garage at work. If you live in one of those cloudy states it might not be as important to you. Not sure where the OP is.

I think some of the cars posted here are WAY too dark. If you can't see out of the car at night that is too dark and just unsafe. I would also always tint within (ar at least very close to) the legal limit. No reason to give the cops a free reason to stop you.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I voted "No". Don't be ashamed to show yourself.....
We don't all look like you....

Mine are not tinted but I would like to get the fronts (side) tinted the same shade as the rears. More for heat/UV protection issues than anything else.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:07 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH-CTT
Do it!!! I have Limo on the back windows and 15% on the front drivers and passenger, then my windshied is 50% .... Makes a HUGE difference here in Arizona parked in the Sun all day!!! The down side is that at night it makes backing up kinda hard to see.... most of the time i have to roll a window or two down and really "trust" the rear PDC......hahahahaha

Carl
From one "Zonie" to another on the forum, you may want to rethink that front tint. Not only is it illegal, but, if you get in an accident with that tint, the defense, prosecutor, judge, etc, can and will use it against you in a trial. My wife handles insurance cases on a daily basis here in AZ for major insurers....they investigate everything....blacked out headlights, aftermarket items that are illegal, and even tint. Just something to consider.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 AM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a black CS. I've had the fronts tinted; liked the look enough; not a huge difference. I got pulled over in Vancouver, BC for speeding. In addition to the speeding ticket, I was written up for 'excessive window tint'. AND, the cop took a utility knife to the tint, to ensure that I'd have to remove it. Obviously, I don't want that type of attention/treatment again.

Also, after I peeled off the damaged tint, I found I liked the look w/o it. Clearly, the tint vs. no-tint is a personal preference and a decision you'll have to make on your own. My vote = no tint.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pokerjarvis
... AND, the cop took a utility knife to the tint, to ensure that I'd have to remove it. ...
He took a piece as evidence
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerjarvis
I also have a black CS. I've had the fronts tinted; liked the look enough; not a huge difference. I got pulled over in Vancouver, BC for speeding. In addition to the speeding ticket, I was written up for 'excessive window tint'. AND, the cop took a utility knife to the tint, to ensure that I'd have to remove it. Obviously, I don't want that type of attention/treatment again.

Also, after I peeled off the damaged tint, I found I liked the look w/o it. Clearly, the tint vs. no-tint is a personal preference and a decision you'll have to make on your own. My vote = no tint.
Good reasons not to tint.. no vote.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Good reasons not to tint.. no vote.
Yes. In case you are ever in a foreighn country and the PoPo violates what would be legal in your own country.

I have no idea about Canadian laws, but here they can't trash your car. Innocent until proven guilty by the court.

The tint laws in most states are pretty broad. If y our going to tint just keep it in the legal limits.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I have no idea about Canadian laws, but here they can't trash your car. Innocent until proven guilty by the court.
About 16 years ago I had a Quebec state (provincial) policeman pull me over to the side of the road in the middle of the night and ask me where my radar detector was hidden. At the time, I had a BEL unit disassembled and ran the horn in the passenger's headrest with the light in the dash and a switch in the rear-console mounted ashtray. I was drivng alone that evening.

He then pulled out a Buck hunting knife from his ankle and cut up my headrest to shreds until he found it. Then, he cut both power wires simulatenously with his knife which shorted out the fuse feeding all the interior lighting. The guy was a real 'stormtrooper'.

Rights? Up here in Canada, our rights are a luxury.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andy E.
About 16 years ago I had a Quebec state (provincial) policeman pull me over to the side of the road in the middle of the night and ask me where my radar detector was hidden. At the time, I had a BEL unit disassembled and ran the horn in the passenger's headrest with the light in the dash and a switch in the rear-console mounted ashtray. I was drivng alone that evening.

He then pulled out a Buck hunting knife from his ankle and cut up my headrest to shreds until he found it. Then, he cut both power wires simulatenously with his knife which shorted out the fuse feeding all the interior lighting. The guy was a real 'stormtrooper'.

Rights? Up here in Canada, our rights are a luxury.

I've heard fhe radar detector issue is a big one up there. Lots of talk about it on the radar detector forums.

Unfortunate that they can do theae these things.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
87turbolook911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Tinted my fronts 35% to match the rears....looks perfect IMHO.

Quick Reply: Tinted windows or Not