Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Cayenne Desirability -- 2025?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:53 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Desirability -- 2025?

In 2025, our Cayennes will be most like which of the above models in terms of desirability, interest, cult status etc...? Will they be a concours and Porsche shows...They rarely are now...Or will they be a little cultish the way the 928's are now....:
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A mere footnote in Porsche history, a monument to Dr. W., an overproduced relic of no appreciating value, a mere chess piece in the failed attempt for PAG to buy VAG.

However, on a positive note, I'm sure the cracked coils issue will be resolved by then.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tend to agree with Itc as far as status goes. The Cayenne helped PAG get back on it's feet and made money for the company. However, that's pretty much it. It will grow old like granny Muldoon and pass on without anyone blinking an eye.

IMO, the 928 will never become a "highly desireable" Porsche as was any of the rear-engined air cooled vehicles. As I've never seen it as a cult vehicle, I do however see it as a technical marvel that will tickle the fancy of anyone out there who appreciates a distinct design with extraordinary engineering.

Many have referred to us, the 928 comrades, as the "German Corvette" owners. Perhaps the Cayenne will be dubbed as the "Soccer Mom Porsch-a"?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's see, they built a billion of them, of the billion about 2 billion are still on the road (I would confidently say over 2 billion, but Larry screwed that up).

I'll guess 356, but more rare and desirable. I will never change my original coolant pipes or coils in anticipation of the windfall. My low mileage specimen never sees more than 15k miles per year. Also, I won't attempt to tow anything; I've heard that may affect future demand.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Divot
Let's see, they built a billion of them, of the billion about 2 billion are still on the road (I would confidently say over 2 billion, but Larry screwed that up)..
No, we simply can not ascertain the whereabouts of Larry's Cayenne at this time.
Please direct all such inquiries to PCNA Atlanta, ATTN: Legal Department.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is just a nice SUV nothing more nothing less. So I guess I would say it fits with all except 356. All the others are just car with the exception of the special cars: limited#s 993 turbo and GT cars.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Too many produced
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Too many produced
Yes & No.

While relitive to other Porches there were many produced. The number is hardly high by automotive industry standards.

Anyone have the actual production numbers?

Just for reference, Ford produced over 500,000 Mustangs in 1965 alone. Those are pretty collectable these days.

Chevrolet on average makes upwards of 700,000 to 1,000,000 pickups EVERY year. There are plenty of those that have become collectable too.

Its often hard to predict what will become a "cult" or "Collectable", "desirable" or "Classic" ahead of time.

I once owned a 1976 RS/SS Camaro. Back in the 80s when you could find them all day long for $1,000 to $5,000. They were just an old Chevy at the time. That car in clean shape now draws upwards of $100,000 at the autions now. (really depends on the car of course).
Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole
Yes & No.

While relitive to other Porches there were many produced. The number is hardly high by automotive industry standards.

Anyone have the actual production numbers?

Just for reference, Ford produced over 500,000 Mustangs in 1965 alone. Those are pretty collectable these days.

Chevrolet on average makes upwards of 700,000 to 1,000,000 pickups EVERY year. There are plenty of those that have become collectable too.

Its often hard to predict what will become a "cult" or "Collectable", "desirable" or "Classic" ahead of time.

I once owned a 1976 RS/SS Camaro. Back in the 80s when you could find them all day long for $1,000 to $5,000. They were just an old Chevy at the time. That car in clean shape now draws upwards of $100,000 at the autions now. (really depends on the car of course).
OK, I think you've had enough Purplesaurus Rex Kool Aid for today ...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, I think you've had enough Purplesaurus Rex Kool Aid for today ...
Nah,

To be fair with the 928 comparison. There are few cars from the late 70s and 80s that are actually desirable and collectable right now.

I think the one of the reasons the 911 of that generation has some desirability is simply because of it's long standing desirability in general. Historically, buyers that can't afford a new one start shopping back a few years. I'm sure production numbers play into it too.

There was a time when NO ONE would buy a 914. It was very common to see them advertised at 2-1 deals for $500. They are starting to become more rare and the prices are rising on clean ones.

I think as the weaker 928s get weeded out the nicer ones will go up in value.

The 944 series has a longer way to go simply due to production numbers and original costs. Which really where not that high to begin with on a relative scale. (160,000 ish world wide). They are being parted and raced at such a fast rate these days that I would not be too surprised to see them become more rare in the next few years.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 898 Posts

I didn't vote in the poll, because I don't think the Cayenne will be like any of them. It is simply in a different category. I think it also depends on the future of the brand and the model. If Porsche/VW decides to pull the plug on the Cayenne and not build any more after the current generation, then they may become more of a "collector's item" in the future representing a different path in Porsche's history, but I think it will be a future further away than 2025.

You could ask the same question about SUVs from other high end brands such as Mercedes Benz. They have produced many cars that are prized by collectors today. I seriously doubt that an ML series SUV will ever be featured in a collection in the future. They built too many, and they aren't anything special - just an SUV. I think the Cayenne will fall into the same category, and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't buy a Cayenne as a collector, I bought one because we needed an SUV.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I started the poll and voted for the 928 because I think, if anything, it's likely to have cult/oddity status...

I agree with Craig...Waaay to many made to ever be a collector's piece....
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 AM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Wow, so 71% of us feel that it will be a 928- myself included. A fret car, but not an iconic Porsche a the race bred classic Porsche. It's a he'll of a nice SUV, a hell of an engineering achievement that could only come from Porsche (drive an X5 and you'll sse what i mean), but that's about it.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I sorta wonder who will buy all the used Cayennes and care for them once their initial buyers/lease holders dump them.

Given the high price of component parts - I would normally expect them to be loved by enthusiasts, but the Cayenne fails the enthusiast community as either a traditional sports car or traditional off-roader. That is to say, the average guy who wants a two door sports car, or a Jeep/Land Rover for weekend fun isn't going to be drawn to Cayennes.

IMO, Cayennes will go the way of 4 door luxury cars - they will be driven until used up then tossed away in favor of a newer more opulent model.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Desirability -- 2025?