Sponsored by:

OT-- 2011 X5 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT-- 2011 X5 5.0

There is probably no bigger Cayenne devotee than me, yet I can't help but wonder about the new X5 5.0. Twin turbos, 400 HP, 0-60 in 5.3 seconds...

Plus, I think the interior of is REALLY nice...

When I configure the 5.0 the same way as I would configure a new Cayenne S, it works out to be almost $20,000 cheaper.... Yikes!

I had the original version of the X5 a few years ago and it didn't hold a candle to the Cayenne...but this one seems to have a lot more to offer.

Any one driven the new 5.0? Impressions?

(Plus, service is free on the BMW for 50 miles)
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

come on now Rome, you know what you will do already
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Could it be that the evil temptress X5 seduces one of the P!g faithful? Say it aint so.... Joe
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

do you (Rome) think the handling will be the same as a Cayenne? If I had to pick my most favorite Cayenne characteristics, it would be the great driving experience. I agree with you %100 on interior and the much attractive complimentary maintenance including the windshield wiper blades and brakes.
Sam
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Romey, I checked it out the day you mentioned it on PB. But I don't like the interior still. It's very meh in my not so humble opinion.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
do you (Rome) think the handling will be the same as a Cayenne? Sam
God...I hope not!

My previous X5 handled great, but more like a sedan than a sports car (even though I had the "sport version" of of X5). This is why I went for the Cayenne.

It sounds like they've really juiced up the new one to compete with the CS.

The options seem much more fairly priced...for ex. it's only $350 for Sat Radio.

I think for about $67K I can build an 8 cyl twin turbo that goes 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, with leather, pano roof, nav and premium stero (and some other goodies). I think I'm at about $85K for similar set up on the Cayenne S and I'm not sure it will be as fast.

Looks wise, I have always preferred the Cayenne, but still waivering about the rear.

Handling is another story...and very, very important to me...guess I got go drive it and see.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Romey, I checked it out the day you mentioned it on PB. But I don't like the interior still. It's very meh in my not so humble opinion.
Definitely a matter of taste, and I almost always agree with you...but I do really like the fit and finish of the X5 (even if it's a little too business like).

I would probably go for the black interior with dark bamboo and the Nevada leather (because I think you need to order that to get the leather on the dash and center console).

A big seller for me is the pano roof. The one on the X5 is really cool...almost makes it like a targa...with 3/2 of the roof open to the sky. I really want a very open roof and I am disappointed in the new verison of the pano roof on the Cayenne. it's terrible. It is basically a std moonroof, with a clear panel over the back side (like in Mecedes) . On the plus side, it's only $900 (compared to something like $4000 for the prior style) but it's not a true open roof, and I would gladly pay if they made a nice, open one.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Romer, There's a good discussion on this very topic over on 6speed. My local dealer is saying they should be getting new Cayennes in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Romer, There's a good discussion on this very topic over on 6speed. My local dealer is saying they should be getting new Cayennes in the next couple of weeks.

Can't find it. Do you have a link?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...xdrive50i.html
Should find it here..
Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Thanks...As people are saying there, I recall the body roll in the X5 and was amazed the first time I drove a Cayenne. Very curious to see what they have done w/ the 5.0 to solve that issue. Straight line performance is one thing, but that gets old...it's the curves that are the key... Hey, I might just keep my '06...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rome, if you haven't driven the P!g GTS with PDCC... you need to... pertaining to body roll. Pretty amazing..
Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Definitely a matter of taste, and I almost always agree with you...but I do really like the fit and finish of the X5 (even if it's a little too business like).

I would probably go for the black interior with dark bamboo and the Nevada leather (because I think you need to order that to get the leather on the dash and center console).

A big seller for me is the pano roof. The one on the X5 is really cool...almost makes it like a targa...with 3/2 of the roof open to the sky. I really want a very open roof and I am disappointed in the new verison of the pano roof on the Cayenne. it's terrible. It is basically a std moonroof, with a clear panel over the back side (like in Mecedes) . On the plus side, it's only $900 (compared to something like $4000 for the prior style) but it's not a true open roof, and I would gladly pay if they made a nice, open one.
I think the pano, or the pseudo-pano, on the Cayenne will become irrelevant once you drive the CS. Of course, you also have to drive the X5, but something tells me you'll go for the handling over all of the "bells & whistles". UNLESS, the handling on the X5 has improved so dramatically?

P.S. Craig, I always enjoy how harmonious our avatars look next to each other
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I think you two are dating !

The X5 has gone too Minivan for me
Old 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

A match made in heaven...

Rome, if you want a P!g that really handles... PDCC is a must have. I almost went with one but was Koosered

Quick Reply: OT-- 2011 X5 5.0