Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter? is it a DIY project?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

These are great instructions. I'm unclear why the tank needs to be drained. It looks to me as if the filter is on top so no fuel would leak out while R&R'ing the filter assembly. What have I missed?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is also one of those savings if you order by the VW part # stamped on top of the filter (VDO manufactured). 7L0919679 You can pay three times as much by buying the Porsche part but it is still going to be the VDO manufactured part with the VW part # stamped on it like the one in the picture on page two.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Here is also one of those savings if you order by the VW part # stamped on top of the filter (VDO manufactured). 7L0919679 You can pay three times as much by buying the Porsche part but it is still going to be the VDO manufactured part with the VW part # stamped on it like the one in the picture on page two.
It's amazing how often this happens. I replaced a section of the exhaust in my V6 with the VW part for the Tuareg. The only difference - other than it being several hundreds of $$$ cheaper - was the VW part had a support brace that had to be cut away; the Porsche version is two individual pipes. Other than that: identical, right down to the location of the oxygen sensors. I'm sure they come off the same line, and someone spot welds the brace on the VW part before boxing them.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
It's amazing how often this happens. I replaced a section of the exhaust in my V6 with the VW part for the Tuareg. The only difference - other than it being several hundreds of $$$ cheaper - was the VW part had a support brace that had to be cut away; the Porsche version is two individual pipes. Other than that: identical, right down to the location of the oxygen sensors. I'm sure they come off the same line, and someone spot welds the brace on the VW part before boxing them.
A parts cross-reference "sticky" with Porsche PNs and VW and OEM Mfr PNs would be a great thing to add to the forum. When I had my 308, I often referred to parts cross-ref stickies on the excellent FerrariChat forum. It save owners a bundle.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Easy DIY...

In less than 30 minutes.... you can do this without ever going into the other side of the tank and cut carpet(2004-2006). Just make sure the fuel level is exactly at 1/4 tank, and you replace ONLY with OEM VDO flange:
Old 02-13-2017, 07:33 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the video Dilberto! Makes this job look super easy!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
In less than 30 minutes.... you can do this without ever going into the other side of the tank and cut carpet(2004-2006). Just make sure the fuel level is exactly at 1/4 tank, and you replace ONLY with OEM VDO flange:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCLMTul1KUk&t=337s
Awesome video. Bummer there are no screws on the 2009 GTS fuel filter I have.

Last edited by Rossi; 11-23-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Rossi
Pro

I tackled the Fuel filter replacement this morning. The fumes not so bad, but I did wear a paper mask. Pretty straight forward following the "iFixIt" DIY.
I recommend to have your fuel filter serviced (Porsche recommend every 36K miles.) When I unplugged the fuel lines, the fuel coming from the filter unit was filthy, pretty much black.

FEW POINTERS:
The top electric connector on the "Driver" side is just stupid PITA to remove. There is just no space to push it out to unlock, awful (passenger side comes right off).
I do suggest to buy the VW tool to remove the rings ($39 on EBay), as on the "Passenger side", you will get some fuel spills removing the upper fuel hose and I would not recommend hammer and screwdriver, It takes one spark .....
Now, one more thing to mention, there are two electric connectors on the bottom of the fuel filter (yellow and green) When assembling everything back, I could not find the green one to plug it back in for quite some time, it was hiding under the fuel pump on the bottom of the tank. You will have to fish it out, reaching to the bottom of the tank. It is not deep, but you don't want to have too much fuel in the tank to be able to see it or needing longer gloves. (made me worried at first, I thought it broke of or something). Now you know where to look. The car started right away after the install, no issue there.

With the seats removal, this will easily take you couple hours, My indy would have charge me at least $250 for labor. SUCCESS :-)))

Last edited by Rossi; 11-24-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:20 PM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
I tackled the Fuel filter replacement this morning. The fumes not so bad, but I did wear a paper mask. Pretty straight forward following the "iFixIt" DIY.
I recommend to have your fuel filter serviced (Porsche recommend every 36K miles.) When I unplugged the fuel lines, the fuel coming from the filter unit was filthy, pretty much black.

FEW POINTERS:
The top electric connector on the "Driver" side is just stupid PITA to remove. There is just no space to push it out to unlock, awful (passenger side comes right off).
I do suggest to buy the VW tool to remove the rings ($39 on EBay), as on the "Passenger side", you will get some fuel spills removing the upper fuel hose and I would not recommend hammer and screwdriver, It takes one spark .....
Now, one more thing to mention, there are two electric connectors on the bottom of the fuel filter (yellow and green) When assembling everything back, I could not find the green one to plug it back in for quite some time, it was hiding under the fuel pump on the bottom of the tank. You will have to fish it out, reaching to the bottom of the tank. It is not deep, but you don't want to have too much fuel in the tank to be able to see it or needing longer gloves. (made me worried at first, I thought it broke of or something). Now you know where to look. The car started right away after the install, no issue there.

With the seats removal, this will easily take you couple hours, My indy would have charge me at least $250 for labor. SUCCESS :-)))
Do the VW parts on the "iFixIt" DIY all fit the 08 GTS?
Old 10-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Rossi
Pro

Originally Posted by kino1161
Do the VW parts on the "iFixIt" DIY all fit the 08 GTS?
957 GTS fuel filter is a sealed unit, you cannot unscrew it and replace the internals. I would just order from any reputable source the model specific unit, last thing you want to have any fuel delivery issues.

Fuel filter: 95562042100
Sealing ring: 95520113301

Last edited by Rossi; 10-28-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:11 PM
kino1161
Pro

Originally Posted by Rossi
957 GTS fuel filter is a sealed unit, you cannot unscrew it and replace the internals. I would just order from any reputable source the model specific unit, last thing you want to have any fuel delivery issues.

Fuel filter: 95562042100
Sealing ring: 95520113301
Thanks, Rossi. Have you replaced your fuel pressure regulator?
Old 10-28-2020, 10:17 PM
Rossi
Pro

Originally Posted by kino1161
Thanks, Rossi. Have you replaced your fuel pressure regulator?
I did not, I have one on the shelf with both new tank fuel pumps when time comes. So far no need as it runs strong.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:56 AM
kino1161
Pro

Gotcha!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter? is it a DIY project?