Sponsored by:

Throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body

I got my 06 S back from the dealer -- On a few occasions I had some stumbling on startup after the car would sit for a week . I thought maybe it was early signs of the coils failing again. Coils OK but they cleaned the TB - I am surprised at the difference -- car is much more responsive. Its like driving another car.

Service told me that the TB getting dirty is a common problem -- my car has 38k. Just figured I would relay the information.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:50 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default does anyone know how?

Does the TB need to come out to clean it or do you just spray it with carb cleaner?
How hard is it access?
TIA
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Sorry ..... I did not see the car while they were working on it. He also indicated that they were seeing failures of the MAF sensors - starting normally around 60k
Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip

I'd also be interested in information about the process of cleaning it. I just bought a Turbo with about 70k miles, and while the car is lovely it seems it was quite some time since the last service. So far I had to replace all coils, sparkplugs, do a long overdue oil change, change air filters and so on. I could imagine the TB could use some cleaning too while I'm at it.

If anyone has information about how this is done, feel free to share
Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a special cleaner specifically for the MAF sensors, CRC makes it in addition to several others. Available at most auto parts stores. No idea what the diff is from carb cleaner.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I do not know the set up on the CS regarding the TB.

Whenever I have had a MAF sensor fail just cleaning them has never helped - and yes the cleaner is available in regular auto stores.

The only cars I have ever owned that needed TB cleaning were my mid 90's 6 cylinder Jaguars. The breather and other emission recirculation points were just downstream of the TB and soot coming in and backing up from those points would cling to the TB/ butterfly and intake.

The drivability change this has made to the CS is really noticeable.

I wonder why the TB is getting dirty?

Quick Reply: Throttle body