Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here going to drive their Cayenne to the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As our 06 S is my wifes company vehicle we will drive it until 1 of 2 things happen... When either she stops giggling everytime she drives it or I can no longer get parts to fix her (the truck & my wife)!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

the real question is what we are going to replace our Cayennes with?

I don't see any other SUV out there that is more desirable.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 167 Posts

My '04 S just went over 100K and after spending big money recently on coolant pipes, I will keep it for another 50K miles. It still drives great, looks great, and I have 20" wheels for summer and 18" for winter. I use it for my business and can haul plenty of stuff or use it like a limo. Like Targa Tim I don't know what I could replace it with.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always buy my cars with the intention of keeping it at least 10 years or 150K miles, the Cayenne being no exception. That's why I was careful to equip the car in a way that support longevity: No PCM, no air suspension.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

187,000+ miles on her 2004 Cayenne Turbo and 261,000+ miles on my 2003 996 Turbo - yes we are driving them......into the next decade...........
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy shnikees. i just hit 188k on the bmw but its a 94. i never thought about that much on the p!g.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
187,000+ miles on her 2004 Cayenne Turbo and 261,000+ miles on my 2003 996 Turbo - yes we are driving them......into the next decade...........
Have you found the CTT to be as problematic as the negative naysayers here make it out to be?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:28 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by Cole
Have you found the CTT to be as problematic as the negative naysayers here make it out to be?
You mean truth-tellers? I'm excited that my "new engine" is using oil and occassionally smells like burnt oil. I'd drive her till she dies but I am thinking that's not much longer. Oh yeah, 36k miles currently.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:14 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to slow my milage accumulation a bit, 48K after three years, no significant issues. Hoping to see 150-175,000 miles and around 10 years.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by wirunner
You mean truth-tellers? I'm excited that my "new engine" is using oil and occassionally smells like burnt oil. I'd drive her till she dies but I am thinking that's not much longer. Oh yeah, 36k miles currently.
So I have spent the last two years researching Cayennes. I have read literally every post on every forum written in English. I have talked to the techs at Stevenson Porsche, Prestige Porsche and 3zero3 Motorsports here in Denver.

Rennlist is the most negative whiniest group of Cayenne owners on the net. There seem to be about 5 guys here that can't say a anything but negative and just keep perpetuating the same old junk over and over and over.

That is why I figured I would ask the owner with 187,000+ miles what his experience has been. Not the guy that had random bad luck with 36k. That stuff happens with EVERY car every made. These are mechanical devices. Not magical beings. Of course they will have some issues. Suck it up and deal with them.

I've owned several Porsches, Audis, Triumphs and other highly modified cars. I honestly laugh at the complaints I see here about these things. Most of the negative seems to come from people that have no idea what a truly unreliable car is.

Of course there is always going to be some guy on a forum that has had more than his share of problems. Lemons do exist. As a whole though the Cayennes seem to have a relatively decent track record.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey all,

Update on the 2004 C-TT - it's actually a hair over 189,000 miles - shows how much I drive it.

The major issues we have had are a water pump within the first 50,000 miles, coolant tunes went and left us stranded, a fuel pump that went, suspension computer needed to be replaced, battery had to be replaced. Other than that it's been the normal maintenance, wear items, etc. It's going in for a major service shortly - needs coil packs, plugs, fluids and filters done, radio has two CD's stuck in it, tires, some type of issue with the fuel system where it's difficult to get started only after filling it up with gas - should say it takes two tries to get it started (and the second is a bit of a hesitation) - not sure if it's another fuel pump issue or maybe the carbon can is shot like my car had a while back - same symptoms.

Other than that the car has treated us well - they ain't cheap to maintain but it's been reliable - only left us stranded once. How can I complain about that??

T2 - knocking on wood some more.......
Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by T2
Hey all,

Update on the 2004 C-TT - it's actually a hair over 189,000 miles - shows how much I drive it.

The major issues we have had are a water pump within the first 50,000 miles, coolant tunes went and left us stranded, a fuel pump that went, suspension computer needed to be replaced, battery had to be replaced. Other than that it's been the normal maintenance, wear items, etc. It's going in for a major service shortly - needs coil packs, plugs, fluids and filters done, radio has two CD's stuck in it, tires, some type of issue with the fuel system where it's difficult to get started only after filling it up with gas - should say it takes two tries to get it started (and the second is a bit of a hesitation) - not sure if it's another fuel pump issue or maybe the carbon can is shot like my car had a while back - same symptoms.

Other than that the car has treated us well - they ain't cheap to maintain but it's been reliable - only left us stranded once. How can I complain about that??

T2 - knocking on wood some more.......

Thanks for the run down on what it has taken.

Honestly that is about 1/8 the amount of work I had to put in to get my Audi S4 to 165,000.

Sounds like a little service and your CTT will be up and running nice again.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
CTurbo77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have spent the last two years researching Cayennes. I have read literally every post on every forum written in English. I have talked to the techs at Stevenson Porsche, Prestige Porsche and 3zero3 Motorsports here in Denver.

Rennlist is the most negative whiniest group of Cayenne owners on the net. There seem to be about 5 guys here that can't say a anything but negative and just keep perpetuating the same old junk over and over and over.

That is why I figured I would ask the owner with 187,000+ miles what his experience has been. Not the guy that had random bad luck with 36k. That stuff happens with EVERY car every made. These are mechanical devices. Not magical beings. Of course they will have some issues. Suck it up and deal with them.

I've owned several Porsches, Audis, Triumphs and other highly modified cars. I honestly laugh at the complaints I see here about these things. Most of the negative seems to come from people that have no idea what a truly unreliable car is.

Of course there is always going to be some guy on a forum that has had more than his share of problems. Lemons do exist. As a whole though the Cayennes seem to have a relatively decent track record.

I would have to completely agree, I rarely ever come here, which is a shame, due to my modifications and Cayenne experience..... Who would have thought the cayenne section on rennlist would be worse then some ricer forum as far as getting FACTS across.....

You purists should be ashamed of yourselves!!

My 04 CTT had 65k miles( in 1 year), hit a deer at 86mph.....had some issues with the air suspension and my dealer got me out of it....

into an 05 CTT which now has 64k miles......ZERO problems..... replaced the coolant tubes before a burst, and always update to the newer coil packs....
Mods:
Brembo Gran Turismo front and rear brakes
Techart Lowering Module
Hyperboost DV's
Fabspeed cat-back/bypass pipes
GIAC ECU flash
IPD Intercooler plenum
OEM Turbo S intercoolers/piping
EVOMS air intakes

Then my little bro (21)needed a new car, got him out of a 5.7L grand cherokee into a 09 Cayenne Turbo S ~ 10k zero problems ....kept the jeep to tow

Then bc my little sisters (24) 08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, WAS THE WORST CAR WE EVER OWNED and constantly in the shop, we got her into a 09 Cayenne GTS that has around 20k with no problems.....

Keeping the 05 FOREVER, plan on doing the EVOMS GT700 kit around 100k
Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 PM
wirunner
Pro

Frank, is that you?

Was going to say more...but nahhh not worth it. But thanks for the advise.

Last edited by wirunner; 05-09-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Changed my mind.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Cole
Drifting

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wirunner
Frank, is that you?

Was going to say more...but nahhh not worth it. But thanks for the advise.
You're right. It's not worth it for you to say more.

You guys have your own negative little click here. If things were really as bad as you make it sound why is it only the same 5-ish guys talking about the same 5-ish problems? Why not hundreds of posters with dozens of issues like in other car forums?

It is the action of the few negative people here that are really killing the Cayenne section on Rennlist.

Quick Reply: Anyone here going to drive their Cayenne to the ground?