Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy gearbox when cold - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Kermit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy gearbox when cold - normal?

I have noticed my Cayennes gearbox is quite noisy when starting it cold. It sounds almost exactly like when you drive older cars in reverse, if anyone know what sound I'm referring to . It seems to be a bit slow at changing gears too, but all in all seems to work ok.

After a few minutes when it gets warmed up the sound is gone and there is no problem what so ever.

Is this normal, or an indication that I should have my transmission checked? If it's of any importance, it's the Turbo model.

Any pointers appreciated!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

AFAIK it's normal. The ECU keeps it in a lower gear to warm up the catalytic converter faster for better emissions. I have also noticed an odd sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd when cold. It's been doing it for 5 year with no ill effects. I tried to have the dealer diagnose and fix it. However, they couldn't "duplicate the sound".
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normal
Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
AFAIK it's normal. The ECU keeps it in a lower gear to warm up the catalytic converter faster for better emissions. I have also noticed an odd sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd when cold. It's been doing it for 5 year with no ill effects. I tried to have the dealer diagnose and fix it. However, they couldn't "duplicate the sound".

Is the sound to which you refer a slight "scratch" or "scrunch" about one second before shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd?

Mine does this from 2nd to 3rd
Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Yes, that's an accurate description of it.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I noticed mine did it today from 1st to 2nd when cold. It didn't do it again after that.....

It's been doing it for four years so I haven't worried too much about it.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Kermit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scott C
Is the sound to which you refer a slight "scratch" or "scrunch" about one second before shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd?

Mine does this from 2nd to 3rd
Sorry, completely forgot to answer in this thread. No, there is a constant, whining sound when I start my engine cold. It's not related to shifting gears, but it does seem to originate from the transmission and not the engine. The sounds starts pretty loud, but gets lower as I drive, and by the time I've reached normal oil/water temperature the sound is gone.

Sure, the shift when just started cold is not as smooth as I'd like (a small stutter/jerk), but that's only when changing from first to second when cold, after that it's ok. Never had any strange sounds when shifting gear, or problems shifting when warm.

I tried googling for a sound that resembles it, but no luck so far. I think I'll just go place my phone under the car and start it to record it, and I could upload it somewhere . Just worried that I need to do (an expensive) transmission service.. or even worse, replace it if it's about to fail.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the "whining" sound (almost sounds like a power steering pump low on fluid) is from the air pumps for the emission system. It lasts for about 2 min. when first started.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

I've actually had people ask me if the car was supercharged when I first started it up because of that noise...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dennis, are you actually in CO now? How did the move go? Any problems selling your IN house?

What's the CO version of Hoosier? Buffalo?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've actually had people ask me if the car was supercharged when I first started it up because of that noise...
Hehe, I guess people can make that mistake

For anyone interested, I recorded the sound and some careful revs on my phone just to give an idea of what I mean. Here it is: http://www.rallymedia.nu/cayennesound/

So this is normal when starting cold? I never owned a cayenne before and don't know anyone that owns one nearby, so I can't really compare it to anything But it sure doesn't sound like any other car I've owned.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Kermit
Intermediate

*bump*

Anyone that can tell me if the engine sound in the above link is normal for a cayenne, or if my transmission / engine needs some overhaul? Would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Kermit, I wasn't too sure about the noise that you were talking about up until you posted the sound clip.

Yes, my '09 GTS makes the exact same sound although it's less evident because of the throaty exhaust growl. The noise dissipates once rolling by the 2nd stop sign.

I have yet to attempt to find out where the source of the sound is but as 993Bill pointed out, it definitely sounds like a pump noise (steering,air,etc...).

Food for thought: 90% of all my previous vehicles (non-Porsche) all made this type of whine when cold and I never experienced a pump-related failure.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

The whining/whirring sound is normal. Although your's sounded more pronounced on the sound clip. Final answer: normal.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Kermit
Intermediate

Thanx a million guys Takes a load off my chest, was worried about it.

The sound might have been louder than normal since I both started the car quite cold, but also placed the phone (that I used to record it with) under the car near the transmission to catch the whirring sound better, it's not at all as loud inside the car.

Quick Reply: Noisy gearbox when cold - normal?