Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy gearbox when cold - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016 | 04:20 PM
New_Cayenne_2005
1st Gear

Default Noisy 2005 cayenne transmission, fault or not?

Hi guys,
first time here and looking for information about this sound. I have my first porsche 2005 turbo and making same noise especially when cold. When transmission gets warm sound is almost gone but still making little noise. Everything is ok, transmission works fine.

Any problems caused by this noise?

Im glad if you guys can answer me and give some information.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kermit
Hehe, I guess people can make that mistake

For anyone interested, I recorded the sound and some careful revs on my phone just to give an idea of what I mean. Here it is: http://www.rallymedia.nu/cayennesound/

So this is normal when starting cold? I never owned a cayenne before and don't know anyone that owns one nearby, so I can't really compare it to anything But it sure doesn't sound like any other car I've owned.
Old 02-25-2016 | 06:10 AM
Kermit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by New_Cayenne_2005
Hi guys,
first time here and looking for information about this sound. I have my first porsche 2005 turbo and making same noise especially when cold. When transmission gets warm sound is almost gone but still making little noise. Everything is ok, transmission works fine.

Any problems caused by this noise?
Holy thread resurrection batman!

If it helps: I noticed the sound got a bit louder with time, so eventually I checked some stuff and noticed my power steering fluid was getting a bit low. Filled it up to max and the sound was gone (changed oil and such at the same time, but I believe this was the cause at least). Seems like the power steering pump starts struggling quite early if the level is on the low end, resulting in some noise. Worth checking, takes under a minute to fix.
Old 02-25-2016 | 03:33 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kermit
Holy thread resurrection batman!

If it helps: I noticed the sound got a bit louder with time, so eventually I checked some stuff and noticed my power steering fluid was getting a bit low. Filled it up to max and the sound was gone (changed oil and such at the same time, but I believe this was the cause at least). Seems like the power steering pump starts struggling quite early if the level is on the low end, resulting in some noise. Worth checking, takes under a minute to fix.
I searched the same terms and this thread necro turned up, lol My GTS makes a slight PS pump whining noise when cold that it didn't make when I picked it up (Phx, 40 degrees warmer than Dallas this time of year) - Seems like either a normal sound or its a bit low on PS fluid.

I'm not usually one for internet forum induced automotive hypochondria, so I'll check the fluid and be on my way.
Old 02-25-2016 | 03:59 PM
ovrTHhill
AutoX

Should have purchased a manual tranny, or left off the option for upgraded steering controls, never noticed any sounds from our Cayenne when cold, just the sweet purr of the little six getting on down the road. I seldom use first gear, except for pulling off when headed up hill, love the Sport button settings. Life in the slow lane, the simple lane, is like having Melatonin for breakfast, and supper, everything falls into place smoothly, just as it should.
Old 02-25-2016 | 09:07 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

For once I have to say thanks for the thread necro!

My diesel transmission sucks after it cold soaks in sub 40 degree temps. I keep meaning to post about it but I'd forget by the time I was in a position to do so.

Quick Reply: Noisy gearbox when cold - normal?