Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Continental AWS Tires 50K Treadwear!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
+1 here for using Conti's with good results. Running them on both the Cayenne and the 997.
Unfortunately, the '11 is coming with Mich instead of Contis...
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Rome, any chance your dealer would change them on upon delivery?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Unfortunately, the '11 is coming with Mich instead of Contis...
My OEM Pirelli's PZero's 275/45R19 were shot at 13k miles and I replaced them with Michelin Latitude Tour HP's. I have 18k on them and about 1/3 of tread remaining. No complaints, dave
Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
My OEM Pirelli's PZero's 275/45R19 were shot at 13k miles and I replaced them with Michelin Latitude Tour HP's. I have 18k on them and about 1/3 of tread remaining. No complaints, dave
It's all about treadwear rating or, more correctly, Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG). The word "quality" is rather misleading though because the factor is not "quality", the factor is the rubber mix on the tread.

Pirelli PZero's have a treadwear rating of 220, as do the Michelin Diamaris. That's soft and sticky... at least for a truck. The Michelin Latitude Tour HP's have a 440 treadwear rating. Your Mich's are lasting longer because their tread is much harder... and less grippy in the heat but more grippy in the cold.

The Yoko Parada Spec X's that I into my second set on are 420 treadwear rating.

As a reference, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires the OP mentioned have a 540 treadwear rating. That's the hardest I've seen on a passenger truck. Ever.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:10 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Love my Contis/ Disappointed that the new Cayennes come with Michelin.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Love my Contis/ Disappointed that the new Cayennes come with Michelin.
You could sell the Michelins. If they are Diamari's w/ a 220 treadwear rating TireRack is selling those for $417 per. The Conti SportContacts w/ a 280 rating are $375 per.

Call Damon at TireRack for a set of Conti's and drop ship them to your dealer for installation when she arrives. Fold the seats down, spread out some plastic tarp, take the Michelins home and sell 'em.

I just paid $205 for mounting and road force balancing at a Porsche dealer.

Shoe her with Contis.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 PM
pred8or
Racer

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
The DWS tire came right out of the gate extremely popular, and shot straight to number one our list of ultra high performance all season tires. It's been there since. Initial reviews for its wet and snow grip have been very good. So far, noise reviews are holding in there very well too and it will be interesting to see how well they do over time as some of them start to wear down. So far, so good...

Availability has been down right lousy on the majority of good sizes. Right now much of their production capacity is concentrated on making snow tires. I expect it to ease up as soon as they are done.

Any idea on ETA avalilability for the DWS?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:28 PM
jpseven
AutoX

Originally Posted by pcst
Yeah, this was on my list when I was looking to replace the tires on CS, too. But I ended up getting the Yokohama Parada Spec-X instead...

I guess I'll try 'em after Yoko.
Had to abandon my Hankooks after 19k miles because of sidewall puncture. First choice was the Conti Extreme DWS, but not able to find them in stock. Ended up with the Yoko Parada spec X for $140 per for 20". Price was great. Ride is smooth and quiet, handling seems great.

The Hankooks were great for the money, and with 19k miles, still true and have 5/32 left. Handling and ride were still very good. I wouldn't say crazy noisy at that mileage, but they were getting there.

BTW, my tire installer recommended not rotating fronts to back on the CS because of the different camber(?) setup. He felt that rotating likely contributed to the increase in noise, which I first noticed after rotating. Any one buying that or have input on this concept?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also did the Conti Extreme DWSs (275/45 19s) about 6K miles ago on my '04 Turbo. They still seem brand new. Very hard to find a few months ago tough. Local tiny shop had a set of four.

The 50K mile warranty seemed too good to be true, and I ventured away from the Pirelli P-Zeros since I'm not racing my Cayenne (except down the freeway). On the Cayenne and my old Boxster, Pirellis were maybe 12K miles max.

I may not appreciate the performance difference, but I was tired of $1400 twice a year. Also love how one screw in a sidewall will set you back an entire set of four.

Love the DWSs so far...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:42 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

To all,

I've been a customer of the stock OEM Pirelli's for the 2004 Cayenne Turbo also - this last set I also was tired of the twice a year tire changes for summer tires so we switched to the Continetal DWS's (19" version). The ride is different there is no doubt - the rubber is softer and more compliant on the road - there is virtually no road noise at all. They also seem to wear very well and we have somewhere about 8-9,000 miles on them so far (estimate).

On the other extreme we put the Dunlop Grand Trek WT M3 Runflats on about 3-4 winter seasons ago (18" version). We got I beleive 4 winters out of them and they were AWESOME - very nice ride, very heavy tire and killer in deep deep snow. They wore unbeleiveably well.

The 2004 Cayenne Turbo has 203,108 miles on the ticker now and we purchased it in April of 2004 so doing quick math we average ~31250 miles per year on that vehicle. Half of those are winter miles so we got our money's worth.

Hope this info helps.

T2
Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is some Mileage, congrats!

I also have the DWS on my Sport Techno wheels and so far so good.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Mason13
Rennlist Member

I'm putting on the Conti DWS's today....can't wait.. I printed off the tirerack price and all the places around here price matched. I getting a great deal on them..
Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I just bought a set in 275/45/19, They were damn hard to find, Tire Rack got 4 in stock so I bought them.
Plan to see how they do, if it looks like a bad winter I will put my 18" Pirelli Scorpions winter tires on.
Interesting that they come with 1 year road hazard included. Skeptical of seeing 50K out of tire they way I drive
Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Bridgestone Dueler Alenza 275/40R20 XL installed yesterday at Costco. I order them on line and they shipped them to their store for installation (no cost for shipping). The total price was $1128.31, the break down of the cost is 259.99 per tire, 1.00 per tire for disposal fee, tire installation/balance fee 14.00 per tire, state of California fees and taxes 98.35. Their is a $70.00 coupon reduction for this month. This also incluelds a Costco Road Hazard Failures Warranty, lifetime tire rebalancing/rotation and nitrogen tire inflation. The UTQG rating is 400AA (W) for this tire. They did a great job installing them no damage to the rims or the big red calipers. I have not put any miles on them yet so I will report back later. The ride home was nice and smooth. Bridgestone has a 40,000 mile Warranty on the tire and it is manufactured in the USA. This is just some information to help others in picking their tires for your Cayenne.....

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 12-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: New Continental AWS Tires 50K Treadwear!