Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 PM
cayennekl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAYENNE S 2006 MODEL

Hi ,

Can someone help me on the following 3 problems:-

1. There is a ratling sound coming from the passeger"s side dashboard. The sound comes and goes - Very annoying. Thought it was the glove compartment but not. Anyone having this problem and ways to fix it.

2. The normal water temperature is at 12pm (most of the time). But, lately I noticed that the tempeature goes higher as the car is driven at high speed (technically as I accelerate). And, even if the car is parked and I accelerate without moving will move the temperature higher. Anyone have this problem?

3. My car is without the air suspension and I found the shocks and springs to be on the firm side and ride quality is hard and bumpy. My children complaining specially when sitting at the rear. Any suggestion what I should do to improve the ride quality. Any suspension upgrade? Reduce the tyre's air pressure etc?

Thank you
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cayennekl
Hi ,

Can someone help me on the following 3 problems:-

1. There is a ratling sound coming from the passeger"s side dashboard. The sound comes and goes - Very annoying. Thought it was the glove compartment but not. Anyone having this problem and ways to fix it.

2. The normal water temperature is at 12pm (most of the time). But, lately I noticed that the tempeature goes higher as the car is driven at high speed (technically as I accelerate). And, even if the car is parked and I accelerate without moving will move the temperature higher. Anyone have this problem?

3. My car is without the air suspension and I found the shocks and springs to be on the firm side and ride quality is hard and bumpy. My children complaining specially when sitting at the rear. Any suggestion what I should do to improve the ride quality. Any suspension upgrade? Reduce the tyre's air pressure etc?

Thank you
1) it can be difficult to determine the source of a rattle even when you hear it for yourself, let alone from a description like that on a message board.
2)?
3) that is obvioulsy subjective but if you go to a higher profile tire, you might soften it up...ie. if you are running 20" wheels, go to 18s. Otherwise put a hundred kilos of cement in the rear cargo area. As for reducing the air pressure in the tires, I assume that you are kidding.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 AM
cayennekl
Intermediate

Thanks for the explanation.

1. Sorry. Not sure how to explain. Basically a ratling sound when driving at 60mph and above from the dashboard facing the passenger.

2. The water temperature gauge will go higher (than the normal reading) when I accelerate and drive the car fast (basically when rpm is used at the 6000rpm and above)

3. My car is on the 18". Ride still firm. Any way to make ride more comfortable. Should I change to uptermarket schocks and springs etc?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Thanks for the explanation.

1. Sorry. Not sure how to explain. Basically a ratling sound when driving at 60mph and above from the dashboard facing the passenger.

2. The water temperature gauge will go higher (than the normal reading) when I accelerate and drive the car fast (basically when rpm is used at the 6000rpm and above)

3. My car is on the 18". Ride still firm. Any way to make ride more comfortable. Should I change to uptermarket schocks and springs etc?
1 - I would have someone else drive and you sit in the passenger seat, opening the glove compartment, feeling around underneath, putting your ear to the dash, etc.

2 - I am not sure what you mean, given that nobody drives around consistently with the engine at 6000 rpm. If what you are saying is that the water temperature guage seems to track the tachometer in almost real time, you have an electrical issue.

3- if, with the stock suspension and 18s, you still think the Cayenne has a "harsh" ride, that is a good argument for actually test driving a vehicle before you purchase it. I am not sure what you had before you owned the cayenne but it obviously had a very soft suspension and probably unsupportive seats. If it is just the kids that are complaining, let them ride in mom's mini-van with pillows underneath them.

That said, tires themselves can make a subtle difference. Even if you are on 18s, changing to a tire that is known to have a softer "ride" will make a difference. Of the N-rated tires for the Cayenne, there are not a lot of choices. But many owners deviate from that requirement and choose tires based on other factors that are important to them.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:25 PM
cayennekl
Intermediate

Thanks again.

Yup. I did No.1 - still can't detect. The annoying part is it comes and go - few weeks with no rattling sound and than suddenly the rattle appear.

as for No. 2 - The temp gauge gets higher when the car is drove hard. Example accelerating to overtake (many times). Driving at high speed for a long period of time (190kmh ++). Didn't have this issue before. But, when driven at slower pace then temp gauge go back to normal.

Yes agree with No.3. First time owning a SUV and I guess test drove not long enough. Anyway, was advised not to buy the air suspension (due to wear & tear, problem etc) and better with the stock suspension set up. Maybe I am comparing it to a saloon car!

Anyway, KW V3 good? The shop recommended and told me that it will be better then OEM and can set it to be more comfortable. Any idea?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Thanks again.

Yup. I did No.1 - still can't detect. The annoying part is it comes and go - few weeks with no rattling sound and than suddenly the rattle appear.

as for No. 2 - The temp gauge gets higher when the car is drove hard. Example accelerating to overtake (many times). Driving at high speed for a long period of time (190kmh ++). Didn't have this issue before. But, when driven at slower pace then temp gauge go back to normal.

Yes agree with No.3. First time owning a SUV and I guess test drove not long enough. Anyway, was advised not to buy the air suspension (due to wear & tear, problem etc) and better with the stock suspension set up. Maybe I am comparing it to a saloon car!

Anyway, KW V3 good? The shop recommended and told me that it will be better then OEM and can set it to be more comfortable. Any idea?
Squeaks and rattles are the worst things to track down. Just keep trying. Has any work been done to your car that would have required a dashboard removal?

On water temperature, I guess you would have to describe exactly what you are doing and when you see the rise, and what it is indicating normally and when it is "high." There are some experts on here that work on the things and if they could experience it through a good description you'd get some help, possibly. In my experience, an appreciable temperature rise just because you are overtaking here and there and driving "fast" is not normal, but I don't know what you are doing.

On tires, you have a bit of different selection than we do in the U.S.. Here I would find all the tires that would be candidates and go to tirerack.com and look at their ratings and the user ratings, not just for Cayenne installations but for SUVs of similar size. Look at how they rate ride quality. Of course if you are driving fast enough to push the envelope on fluid temperatures, you might want to stick with the few manufacturer-approved tires and let the ride suffer, just for safety's sake.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure you will find any aftermarket set-up for softening the ride. Most people want to lower and stiffen the vehicle.

If you have a good porsche tuner in your area, or a really good suspension shop, you could consult them.

I've never heard anyone else complain about your dash or temp gauge issues. So, I don't think they are common.

GL
Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
cayennekl
Intermediate

Did a search on the temp gauge issue and got from a post by JW3 under "Temp Guage Readings" that reads as stated below. My problem will be similar i.e. temp gauge will rise if car driven fast/sporty and it doesn't matter whether using tiptronic or kick down.

"I have the 2006 CTT and drove in Europe for 2 years. The only thing I have ever asked about was the coolant temperature readings when driving using the Tiptronic (sort of sporty). It seemed when I drove sporty using the Tiptronic the coolant temp would jump up to the 220° range fairly quick. As soon as I settled down and drove normal the temp went back down to the 170° (just below the 180° mark). I could leave the CTT sit at idle for minutes and minutes and the temp would not move from the 170° mark.
I am now in the USA and 2 weeks ago the 'check coolant light came on'. So, I went to my dealer and they checked it out and determined it was low, they did a pressure check, found no leaks, refilled and sealed the system up.
Well, now the temp gauge reads about 175°/180° as normal (no problem) but when I get into the sporty mode and use the Tiptronic, the temp shoots up to 220° really quick sometimes but not always.
I expect to get the answer 'as long as it is within spec it is okay'. But that is not a satisfactory answer to me. I will meet my dealer again on Friday. In the meantime, I was wondering if any of you could shed some light or educate me on this issue.
And I did a search on this forum but got no hits even close.
Thanks.
JW
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

I had Continental 18's as fitted from the factory. They wore out at a ridiculous rate and I changed them out for Goodyears at 19,000 miles. The size is 255/55/18. The Goodyears are still going strong after 30,000 miles and (the reason I replied) is the good news is the ride is very significantly softer. The overly firm OEM ride has been gone since I changed the tires.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM
cayennekl
Intermediate

Ok TQ for sharing.

Anyone can assist on the temp gauge problem?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 AM
cayennekl
Intermediate

The car going to the Porsche workshop on April, 7. Will let everyone know the repair needed for the temp gauge problem.....
Old 04-04-2010, 12:55 AM
cayennekl
Intermediate

Anyone has changed to this suspension? Height adjustable and adjustable in rebound and compression.
Please find more information about the products below:-

http://www.kw-suspensions.eu/int/kw_variant_3.php

Quick Reply: CAYENNE S 2006 MODEL