Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low mileage used Cayenne S.... warranty or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
AdamPDX
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low mileage used Cayenne S.... warranty or not?

I'm still searching for the perfect Cayenne while trying to keep my budget in the low thirties. I found what looks like a good deal - a 2006 Cayenne S w/ heated seats and navi with 18k miles for $32,000. My thought is that even though the warranty is about to expire, with that few miles I'd be good for quite awhile on repair costs and whatnot. What would you do? Buy a Porsche CPO for high thirties with mileage in the 30-40's or this one without a warranty for a much lower price point and VERY low miles?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

With a Cayenne, while low miles and lower price point are preferable, I'd go with CPO if very little factory warranty is left -- always.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM
AdamPDX
8th Gear

Crud Not the answer I was hoping for! I'm having the dealer contact Porsche and see what all has been performed on the car....
Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Going into Cayenne ownership naked is fine, so as long as you are prepared to self insure for things like cracked coils/fouled plugs, cracked coolant tubes, etc.

Add up the expected cost to repair those items, throw in a bit more for the rainy day fund (you do know they leak) and compare that total to buying a CPO vehicle from Porsche.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamPDX
I'm still searching for the perfect Cayenne while trying to keep my budget in the low thirties. I found what looks like a good deal - a 2006 Cayenne S w/ heated seats and navi with 18k miles for $32,000. My thought is that even though the warranty is about to expire, with that few miles I'd be good for quite awhile on repair costs and whatnot.

That's the best one I have heard today...but it is still early. Don't get one without a CPO warranty. Anyone who sells you a vehicle needs to stand behind it. I know, I know, 2006 was a good year...still. I would pay around 3-4k for one extending to 100k.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 938 Posts

+1

Get the one with the warranty. In the overall scheme of things, the difference in mileage isn't that great.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ucube
With a Cayenne, while low miles and lower price point are preferable, I'd go with CPO if very little factory warranty is left -- always.
+1 CPO CPO CPO

If mine had not been CPO and the engine block failure had happened two months later (I have one month of base warranty left), I don't know what I would have done...I bet this repair is in excess of $15k. Not to mention needing a rental car for six weeks and counting.

Now...with that said if all goes well, I might keep it past the CPO warranty. What are my chances of two major failures...
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
AdamPDX
8th Gear

Whew all the horror stories - are these SUV's THAT much worse off than your mainstream boring SUV's that don't compare in performance in any way whatsoever?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

How about 3k for the transmission on my wife's Honda Pilot?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AdamPDX
Whew all the horror stories - are these SUV's THAT much worse off than your mainstream boring SUV's that don't compare in performance in any way whatsoever?
Hmmn, medium rare
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Have you read this thread at the top of the forum yet?
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...list-here.html
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to the block ? thats a tank

Originally Posted by wirunner
+1 CPO CPO CPO

If mine had not been CPO and the engine block failure had happened two months later (I have one month of base warranty left), I don't know what I would have done...I bet this repair is in excess of $15k. Not to mention needing a rental car for six weeks and counting.

Now...with that said if all goes well, I might keep it past the CPO warranty. What are my chances of two major failures...
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by mudman2
What happened to the block ? thats a tank
Bad coolant leak turned out to be from the block under pressure test. No one knows how the engine got a hole in it - manufacturing flaw I guess. PCNA authorized a new short block so the good news is I get to keep the plastic coolant tubes...

I've owned this p!g 9 months and it's spent exactly 2 months at the dealer so far.

I don't believe anything about the P!g is a tank...Service advisor told me they also have a brand new v6 p!g that took a dump not long after the new owner drove it off the lot.

Quick Reply: low mileage used Cayenne S.... warranty or not?