what if it is NOT the coolant pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your coils will crack, probably more than once, and probably foul the plugs with them.
Your coolant tubes will crack, no question.
Your cardan shaft will eventually need to be replaced.

They're just minor warts...
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had my coolant pipes replaced 13 months ago due to coolant leakage. Just when I thought life was good...Bang......1 month ago my car dropped all of its coolant on the ground.

Investigation revealed that there were two plastic T-pieces in the coolant system at the back of the engine, one of which had cracked.

The cracked T-piece was replaced along with the 2nd T-piece for preventative purposes. (CPO warranty picked up the tab )

Dealer tells me that they are starting to see an increased number of cars with these T pieces cracking.
Looks like they will be another money spinner for them.

I am not sure if these T pieces are installed on the non turbo Cayennes. They may not be an issue for the normally aspirated.

The part numbers for the plastic T pieces are: 955 106 323 50 and 948 106 035 51.
They are identified as "water hose" in the PET manual.

Get these changed without hesitation if you happen to be doing coolant pipe surgery on your Cayenne.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by oakneck
I'm also now considering a Cayenne S, and wonder how to approach the pipes, coils (is there anything else?) issues.

How long ago did you buy it, and it what state?
Here is my thought process on the purchase. Basically I decided what I wanted and what I could live without and what years I would go for. Then read everything on this board, renntech and 6speedonline. Read till you can't take it no more. Even after reading for a week I somehow missed the whole torque converter seal thing.

For me it was a 2005 or 2006, Titanium Metalic CS, black interior with Xenon and Navi minumum. So that narrowed the pool a little.

I also bought a durametric cable, so I could scan cars.

Price was next, I forget which site, but it is the KBB for auction prices, i.e. what people pay at auctions for cars with certain options, mileage, etc. I decided to pay no more than 25K with repairs, I was planning on doing the pipes no matter what (unless they were done)

19k for a 2005 Cs with navi and about 70-80k at auction. Yes, I insulted quite a few places when I offered 19 or 20k for a car they were asking 27k for, some even demanded to know how I came up with that price!!! (I figure with those I must have been spot on!)

Another thought was dealing with sales people through e-mail. I found the ones that actually answered my questions where the better ones to work with, the ones that just wrote back and said the car is awesome, come see it were just trying to real you in.

Most CS 05s I have seen are about 26k or 31k with CPO. add another 5 if an 06

Get carfax, you can do the 1 month thing, run a vin, see what dealer it was serviced at and call them asking about repairs, all the ones I called said nope, not done, also they usually stop seeing the cars around 40k when the warranty is up.

So I paid a little over 19k, the dealer was in a wealthy part of VA is covering the battery, even though the did an oil change, I am doing it at porsche because I dont know what they stuck in there

I am dropping 3k into it now, getting new battery, oil, coolant pipes, torque converter seal.

My theory for these cars now is dealers went to auctions last year, the prices for these cars dropped a lot and they went crazy buying them thinking they can mark them up like crazy.

And it is not happening.

I basically bought the most sound car I could find for the cheapest price, and honestly I think this one had more recent coils done, cuz it was the pepiest of them all, so I got it (found out it has .03 coils and newer plugs later, so was done at least once!)

If you can find an 05 made in 05 go for that, mine was made in 04.

Last edited by touareg; 02-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Here is my thought process on the purchase. Basically I decided what I wanted and what I could live without and what years I would go for. Then read everything on this board, renntech and 6speedonline. Read till you can't take it no more. Even after reading for a week I somehow missed the whole torque converter seal thing.

For me it was a 2005 or 2006, Titanium Metalic CS, black interior with Xenon and Navi minumum. So that narrowed the pool a little.

I also bought a durametric cable, so I could scan cars.

Price was next, I forget which site, but it is the KBB for auction prices, i.e. what people pay at auctions for cars with certain options, mileage, etc. I decided to pay no more than 25K with repairs, I was planning on doing the pipes no matter what (unless they were done)

19k for a 2005 Cs with navi and about 70-80k at auction. Yes, I insulted quite a few places when I offered 19 or 20k for a car they were asking 27k for, some even demanded to know how I came up with that price!!! (I figure with those I must have been spot on!)

Another thought was dealing with sales people through e-mail. I found the ones that actually answered my questions where the better ones to work with, the ones that just wrote back and said the car is awesome, come see it were just trying to real you in.

Most CS 05s I have seen are about 26k or 31k with CPO. add another 5 if an 06

Get carfax, you can do the 1 month thing, run a vin, see what dealer it was serviced at and call them asking about repairs, all the ones I called said nope, not done, also they usually stop seeing the cars around 40k when the warranty is up.

So I paid a little over 19k, the dealer was in a wealthy part of VA is covering the battery, even though the did an oil change, I am doing it at porsche because I dont know what they stuck in there

I am dropping 3k into it now, getting new battery, oil, coolant pipes, torque converter seal.

My theory for these cars now is dealers went to auctions last year, the prices for these cars dropped a lot and they went crazy buying them thinking they can mark them up like crazy.

And it is not happening.

I basically bought the most sound car I could find for the cheapest price, and honestly I think this one had more recent coils done, cuz it was the pepiest of them all, so I got it (found out it has .03 coils and newer plugs later, so was done at least once!)

If you can find an 05 made in 05 go for that, mine was made in 04.
Just remembered, galves dot com has auction prices for all cars.

Quick Reply: what if it is NOT the coolant pipes?