Sponsored by:

Blacking out trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Blacking out trim

The used car fairy rarely delivers *exactly* what you want, so that's what customizers like me are for

I can live with the "aluminum" trim around the windows and on the doors, but I'd rather have it painted body color or flat black. Anybody done this endeavor before? I tried to STFA, but didn't come up with much.

Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi
The interior aluminum? The aluminum looks nice but found that it got dented by the seat belt buckle when (especially passengers) let go. So I switch them out with carbon fiber bits - was a little pricey but looks nice and doesn't dent. Also put some plastic protective film on them. Be careful if taking them off to paint, it's pretty easy to bend the aluminum parts.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche had an option to order the window trim in black. On a dark colored car it looks great.

You can purchase it from the dealer and it is not too expensive. The caveat on the rear pillar trim is you have to remove the rear qtr glass to get in out/in. I hear its a PITA.

Alternatively, if you are handy, you can easily pull it, etch prime it and paint..... Or powder coat it?

Good luck
Old 01-17-2010, 06:14 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Hi
The interior aluminum? The aluminum looks nice but found that it got dented by the seat belt buckle when (especially passengers) let go. So I switch them out with carbon fiber bits - was a little pricey but looks nice and doesn't dent. Also put some plastic protective film on them. Be careful if taking them off to paint, it's pretty easy to bend the aluminum parts.
Thanks 'Skull, I was meaning the exterior, but you answered the question I had about how the heck the trim pieces got dented on a pristine car
Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott C
Porsche had an option to order the window trim in black. On a dark colored car it looks great.

You can purchase it from the dealer and it is not too expensive. The caveat on the rear pillar trim is you have to remove the rear qtr glass to get in out/in. I hear its a PITA.

Alternatively, if you are handy, you can easily pull it, etch prime it and paint..... Or powder coat it?

Good luck
Scott, is it truly aluminum? It's hard to tell whether it's just painted plastique (upscale plastic!) or really metal. Obviously, if it's plastic, it's gonna be hard to powder coat

I have a powder coat gun, and am pretty handy (if I do say so myself!)
Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Scott
They are aluminum. I ordered a set of black and then backed out when I saw the effort to install. Luckily, I have a very understanding parts dept at my dealer

Quick Reply: Blacking out trim