Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Binding, Center Lock ON, car doesn't move, also running hot.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Pink
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Binding, Center Lock ON, car doesn't move, also running hot.

So I'm trying to sell my Mother in Law's Cayenne S. She doesn't know anything about cars and I am the family fix the cars and sell them person. I took it out to go over everything and it looks like there is a pretty serious problem.

I don't know much about these cars, so bare with me. When I engage the 4WD system one click to one red light, the car would hardly accelerate. When I click it one more time to the two lights and a message comes on saying Center Lock or something to that effect the car barely accelerates. I turn the wheel and there is a LOUD binding noise. I put it back to normal driving and there is a loud clunk when the center lock is disengaged.

During normal driving you hear this binding noise in the drive-train on hard braking or slow maneuverability. It's like the tires are skipping making clunking noises. The tires are not the "N" rated Porshce tires. How much does that matter?

Also the car runs hot at idle in ECON mode. Is this the nature of the Cayenne S? The temps creep up a notch past 180 and you can smell coolant when you get out. Fan works when A/C is on, temps go down and stay around center notch. Plastic coolant pips & tstat all just replaced to metal.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1- rtfm
2 - sounds about right
3 - dont play
4 - permanent 4 wheel drive
Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Jamo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has permanent 4WD.

What you appear to be doing is engaging Low Range and locking the centre diff. If you are Off Road then this will be OK!

If you are Not off road, but in fact are on a sealed surface such as asphalt or concrete, then it is not OK. Indeed, the car probably doesn't have a problem now, but will do if you persist with a locked centre diff on a sealed surface.

As mudman indicated, read the manual.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamo
The car has permanent 4WD.

What you appear to be doing is engaging Low Range and locking the centre diff. If you are Off Road then this will be OK!

If you are Not off road, but in fact are on a sealed surface such as asphalt or concrete, then it is not OK. Indeed, the car probably doesn't have a problem now, but will do if you persist with a locked centre diff on a sealed surface.

As mudman indicated, read the manual.
It's amazing how so many don't understand the system...I can see why Porsche is getting rid of it in 2011.

Quick Reply: Binding, Center Lock ON, car doesn't move, also running hot.