Is the battery under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM
ian1975
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the battery under warranty?

Hi!
My Porsche Cayenne battery died twice, each time I have to recharge it and everything is ok but how do you know that it's time to change the battery?
My local Porsche dealer in Montreal charge 470$ (part and labor) + taxes for changing the battery but is it not under the Porsche warranty? is there any better alternative like another battery similar or better than the OEM?

Thanks

Ian

Last edited by ian1975; 01-15-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

When a Porsche battery dies, it is considered a wear item, just like brakes or tires. It isn't covered by the warranty. My OEM battery lasted about 3 years, and I replaced it at the dealer with the same one. Interestingly, the new battery totally failed after about 6 weeks. That one was deemed to be a defective battery, and was replaced by the dealer at no charge.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See link below - many people have had high longevity with the OEM battery. Mine has lasted 5.5+ years at this point and at my 80K service the dealer tested it and said while it is "showing it's age" it should still get me thru this winter and I shouldn't need to replace it until next year at the earliest.

If yours has gone dead twice already, there may be another electrical system issue that is causing some sort of parasitic drain.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-it-with.html
Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 PM
ian1975
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies,

I don't know if my GPS tracking device (Boomerang), Itronics (mobridge) BT/Ipod installed may cause the the parasitic electrical drain? The day before the car can't start at -20 Celsius, I had a 4 wheel drive system faulty on the multi-display. After charging, everything seems to be fixed. I will get a volt meter to check my battery. Which aftermarket battery that you recommend?

Thanks

Ian
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

To all,

Replacement parts (including batteries) provided and installed at the Porsche Dealer are covered under a two year parts and labor warranty from the original time of install.

My experience anyway.

T2
Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ + 1 with a small catch...

IIRC, there is actually a minimum mileage requirement (per year, I forget the #) on OEM replacement battery warranties, as they don't like replacing garage queen batteries.

Of course, only those individuals who have the genetic defect which allows them to own a car that they never drive would ever come across such a thing.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ian1975
I don't know if my GPS tracking device (Boomerang), Itronics (mobridge) BT/Ipod installed may cause the the parasitic electrical drain?
If mobridge is installed correctly, it sleeps when the radio is off even though it is hooked to constant power as opposed to ignition. You might want to make sure your other item was installed correctly as well.

Otherwise, the battery is just old.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:03 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is not a parasitic electrical drain issue, my personal experience is that modern batteries can be saved and live a long, healthy life after a death... or three.

Long, slow trickle charge combined with a nice long drive to fully charge.

Key part is getting one's wife to admit that she parked it with the entire electrical system on and walked away... or parked it in 'D', shut off the motor, and then walked away... etc. etc. etc.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
If it is not a parasitic electrical drain issue, my personal experience is that modern batteries can be saved and live a long, healthy life after a death... or three.

Long, slow trickle charge combined with a nice long drive to fully charge.

Key part is getting one's wife to admit that she parked it with the entire electrical system on and walked away... or parked it in 'D', shut off the motor, and then walked away... etc. etc. etc.
If that's you're wife in your avatar I wouldn't worry about it....
Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM
ian1975
Rennlist Member

Brought to the garage this morning, they perform a battery test, it turns out that the battery is fine but maybe there's a problem with the alternator. I hope the alternator is under Porsche original warranty...Will the dealer replace the combo (alternator and battery)?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the failure mode of the alternator damaged the battery, then yes.
Otherwise, no.
At a minimum, I would ask them to perform a visual inspection of the battery in addition to the electrical test.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I had the 2 battery option on my first (MY04) CS. I never had a problem with them.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I traded it last Fall with 134K miles on it for a MY06 CS Titanium Ed.!

Quick Reply: Is the battery under warranty?