Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm horn "chirp" stopped working...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm horn "chirp" stopped working...ideas?

Up until last Friday when my car had the coolant pipes fixed, my horn always chirped when I armed the alarm. Now for some reason it has spontaneously stopped. I had a thought that it might be like my 03 Maxima, you could hold the FOB button down for 10 secs or something like that and it would change "modes" and only the lights would flash upon arming? Does the P!g have something like that as well?

Since I'm over an hour away from a dealer, is there a fuse, connection, or way to test the "2nd" horn before going through the trouble of taking it back to the dealer?

Also, is it just me or is the FOB a POS? half the time it doesn't work until the 3rd or 4th try or it will just lock over and over when you press the button. I almost can't unlock the back doors and hatch with the FOB. The other thing it does occasionally is it'll unlock, then about 15 seconds later the alarm will go off. that's really nice. I thought it might be battery related but that ain't it biggrin.gif

on the other hand... it's nice knowing that the coolant pipes aren't going to explode and leave me stranded.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jplumlee
The other thing it does occasionally is it'll unlock, then about 15 seconds later the alarm will go off. that's really nice.
That happened to my wife twice. Really pissed her off. I had her duplicate her actions (as closely as possible) and couldn't repeat the problem. Thanks, she'll feel better now.

As for the chirp, maybe check your settings/preferences to see if they changed -- tho' I *think* chirp/on would be the default.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jplumlee
Also, is it just me or is the FOB a POS? half the time it doesn't work until the 3rd or 4th try or it will just lock over and over when you press the button. I almost can't unlock the back doors and hatch with the FOB. The other thing it does occasionally is it'll unlock, then about 15 seconds later the alarm will go off. that's really nice. I thought it might be battery related but that ain't it biggrin.gif
My beta used to do **** like that all the time. Have you thought about changing the battery in the FOB? Also if this is an 04 there's a chance you have two vehicle batteries and the main one could be weak/dying but you wouldn't know it other than odd electrical gremlins since it would start fine. Just some ideas...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably disconnected your battery for the coolant tube fix and reset the setting. Check the settings on the dash.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

I changed the FOB battery since usually that fixes the range and function of those things(in past cars)... however, it made little or no difference. Just for grins, the guys at the watch store where I bought it checked the "old" battery and it appeared to be good. I changed it anyway. So this second battery, are we talking about the one under the seat? I haven't had any other weird electrical stuff other than what I described earlier but I'll check it out. Thanks for the ideas
Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 PM
flintworks
Advanced

I've replaced a few of the alarm sirens. They're a pain in the butt to replace. You have to remove the fuse box (the one next to the master cylinder) and it's down under there. The good thing about replacing it is that you get a chance to clean out the leaves and other stuff down there that never get cleaned and can cause flooding.

Quick Reply: Alarm horn "chirp" stopped working...ideas?