Sponsored by:

They are really well built Thnaks Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:10 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts
Default They are really well built Thnaks Porsche

Well yesterday was not a good day. My wife and I were coming home from doing errands and a nice lunch on a great clear Texas day WHEN. We were stopped at a red light in our '08 Cayenne GTS, I glanced in the rear view mirror to see a Chevy Suberban rapidly approaching, our car became his speed reducer. We were hit hard but fortunately not injured other than stiff necks etc. The rear of the GTS has significant cosmetic damage but while damaged the tailgate still opens and closes. We have the factory trailer hitch on the GTS and it took the brunt of the impact, could be frame damage. How hard did he hit us, well the Chevy SUV deployed all its airbags and even had a small dash fire from the impact. He literally pushed out Cayenne about 10 feet into the intersection even though I had my foot on the brake. The officer estimated that he was going at least 20 plus miles per hour at impact. There was no evidance that he had applied brakes as the only tire marks were ours as we were pushed. Just another reason why we have the Cayenne. Great tow vehicle, very comfortable on the highway and now we know just how solid it is built. It was drivable after the incident but appeared to be out of alignment as it pulled to one side. It will spend the next several weeks in the shop. If we had been in the 997 we still would have been all right but the car most likely would have been totaled. By the way when I looked in the mirror just prior to impact I noticed the young man was looking down not forward and he got out of his Suberban cel phone in hand. No conclusions but how do you pronounce texting. Lastly I always carry a camera so I was able to get lots of hi res shots right away for my insurance. Merry Christmas to all than thankfully we were not injured.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 AM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the car is so well built and that you are OK. We should really invent some technology that prevents texting while driving.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothyli
Glad to hear the car is so well built and that you are OK. We should really invent some technology that prevents texting while driving.
How about just having parents enforce individual responsibility... novel idea in today's world
Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Car and Driver did an article a few months back demonstrating how dangerous texting and driving is - apparently far worse than being completely wasted. Yet it's legal in most of the US but drinking two light beers would put you over the limit (not condoning drinking and driving).

Glad to hear everyone was okay. P!gs can be fixed or replaced!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good to hear that you and your wife are ok.

Yes, a P-car may be expensive, but they are well built and will save your life in a crash. Although you may want to kill yourself when the repair bill comes...
Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you & your wife were OK. I would've gotten out and beat the texting driver with a tire iron!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Ucube;7156663]Glad to hear you & your wife were OK. I would've gotten out and beat the texting driver with a tire iron! [/QUOTE

Well it briefly crossed my mind. However the young man (17 or 18) that hit us was very polite. He rushed out of his car when his airbags deflated to see if we were all right. He did not try to evade blame and admitted right away to us and the police officer that it was his fault as we was not paying attention. As a father that impressed me. He did not fit the normal mold of today's youngster. That said it could not come at a worse time of the year. I will go in Monday to see what if any frame damage. The manager of our local Porsche Center where I buy my cars said he would write a statement as to the reduced value after repairs of our Cayenne . Now if the young man's insurance will just pay up and quickly. With the holidays our Cayenne will probably spend at least three weeks in the shop. At least it was not the 997 which would have been totaled as the force of the impact would have damaged the engine and tranny. Oh well we are all right I guess. Take care and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:43 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear the news how bout some pics?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=f4 plt;7159039]
Originally Posted by Ucube
I will go in Monday to see what if any frame damage. The manager of our local Porsche Center where I buy my cars said he would write a statement as to the reduced value after repairs of our Cayenne .
My personal Cayenne was struck by a young lady last December on a frozen over pass in Dallas. Everyone else was driving conservatively at 20 miles per hour going over the bridge and watching to make sure everyone maintained control.......I saw the young lady approaching in my rearview and it was obvious she had no idea of the ability for bridges to ice over faster than roads. She was going 50-55 miles per hour and we were doing 20 or below depending on the cars ahead of us.

I saw her coming and she hit me first, probably best it was the Cayenne. the whole rear end was smashed in along with the rightside being ripped up, she forced me across 3 lanes into the outside line.

After taking out 6 more cars in front of me and pushing one up onto the railing of the bridge, she came to rest with every panel on her car smashed, both axles broken and we helped her get out of her 92 Camry.

This young lady "left" the scene to go the hospital, which police promptly showed up to and noticed she was not signed in ever and was not in the ER as claimed.

My car was in the shop for well over 30 days but Stuarts in Dallas did a wonderful job, to the point that Stuarts, the dealer, and insurance company claimed there was no reduced value? Hope there is alot of truth in this..........glad to hear you are ok and may you have a better experience during and after the repairs.

I had to file it as Uninsured driver/underinsured, every person except myself got an attorney........luckily I was finally compensated over a year later for the difference I paid on the deductible and my extra rental car expenses(xtra rental car costs and personal items/custom items were damaged too). THE ONLY REASON WHY I WAS ABLE TO GET MUCH MORE OUT OF THE CLAIM AND WIN THE CLAIM, IS THAT I HAD A DIGITAL CAMERA AND DOCUMENTED.....MY CARS DAMAGE, HER CARS DAMAGE AS WELL AS EVERYONES POSITIONING AFTER THE WRECK IN THE FREEZING RAIN AND ICE. She intially after being caught claimed I was the driver who struck her and pushed her into 6 cars.......the police report came back in mislabeled as this was the case and with the pictures i was able to fight and win my side of no fault.

She probably did not have enough coverage to pay for all the damages.......hope the others lucked out as I did or were at least insured on their parts.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=cordsig79;7161398]
Originally Posted by f4 plt

My personal Cayenne was struck by a young lady last December on a frozen over pass in Dallas. Everyone else was driving conservatively at 20 miles per hour going over the bridge and watching to make sure everyone maintained control.......I saw the young lady approaching in my rearview and it was obvious she had no idea of the ability for bridges to ice over faster than roads. She was going 50-55 miles per hour and we were doing 20 or below depending on the cars ahead of us.

I saw her coming and she hit me first, probably best it was the Cayenne. the whole rear end was smashed in along with the rightside being ripped up, she forced me across 3 lanes into the outside line.

After taking out 6 more cars in front of me and pushing one up onto the railing of the bridge, she came to rest with every panel on her car smashed, both axles broken and we helped her get out of her 92 Camry.

This young lady "left" the scene to go the hospital, which police promptly showed up to and noticed she was not signed in ever and was not in the ER as claimed.

My car was in the shop for well over 30 days but Stuarts in Dallas did a wonderful job, to the point that Stuarts, the dealer, and insurance company claimed there was no reduced value? Hope there is alot of truth in this..........glad to hear you are ok and may you have a better experience during and after the repairs.

I had to file it as Uninsured driver/underinsured, every person except myself got an attorney........luckily I was finally compensated over a year later for the difference I paid on the deductible and my extra rental car expenses(xtra rental car costs and personal items/custom items were damaged too). THE ONLY REASON WHY I WAS ABLE TO GET MUCH MORE OUT OF THE CLAIM AND WIN THE CLAIM, IS THAT I HAD A DIGITAL CAMERA AND DOCUMENTED.....MY CARS DAMAGE, HER CARS DAMAGE AS WELL AS EVERYONES POSITIONING AFTER THE WRECK IN THE FREEZING RAIN AND ICE. She intially after being caught claimed I was the driver who struck her and pushed her into 6 cars.......the police report came back in mislabeled as this was the case and with the pictures i was able to fight and win my side of no fault.

She probably did not have enough coverage to pay for all the damages.......hope the others lucked out as I did or were at least insured on their parts.
That is why I always keep a camera in the car (not just the cel phone camera. In this case I had my DSLR with a good lens so I got pictures (in RAW format) of my car, his car, his deployed airbags AND my skid marks where he pushed me. I have been studying the "diminished value" laws. Of note if you have frame damage Porsche will not issue a pre-owned certified rating to the vehicle and will not sell it on their lot. Also statistics show that 51% of buyers will not buy a used vehicle with a damage history unless significantly discounted. The body shop associated with the Porsche Center San Antonio is doing the repairs so I know they will be first class. That said, there is a hold up with his insurance company and with the holidays I would expect at least three weeks before I get it back. That an my wife losing her one of a kind Grandma gold bracelet that I designed has put a damper on the holidays Oh well we were not hurt and that's a big plus
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

For those interested. His insurance company has accepted liability responsibility so the repairs should be at no cost to me other than loss of my car for three weeks. I have seen the Cayenne with the bumper off and from close inspection by me and the body shop, the factory hitch assembly took all the impact force and theyr is no frame damage. Repairs will include new rear hatch, new trailer hitch assembly new rear bumper cover and mechanics and new left rear portion and tips of the exhaust.

His insurance also offered a compact rental, which I declined and wanted to send a rather substantial check to us for injuries which I declined. That said they are hesitant on paying for diminished value. Interesting that they are ready to part cash for some things and hesitant to pay for actual losses. Oh well this process is not nearly over. At least we are all right and the repairs have started at a body shop I trust... and with NEW Porsche parts. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 942 Posts

Glad to hear that you and your wife are not injured. Also glad to hear that he has insurance!

The Germans do build solid cars...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is great.......again, seek the diminished/reduced value if possible. I was shot down but I would have gladly taken the "injury" check if offered, I would take as much as you can gain because there will typically always be delays with the Holdays in full swing and part availiability.

Hopefully you did not have too many "custom" features.......that can get real hairy when anything goes above OEM parts from my experience too with insurance companies..........you might need all of your records from previous purchases plus labor costs at the time it was bought.

While its apart, its really neat to see how the cars are made and actually built in strong pieces.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Interesting nobody caught or cared to comment on my spelling error. Last time I checked "Thanks" was spelled this way not the way I spelled it in the title "Thnaks" Oh well my brain and typing fingers do get out of sync.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Brief update, the car has been in the shop a week and a half and repairs are going slowly, holidays will make the process longer. The other party (young man that hit me in the rear) was insured with Allstate and here is is the problem. What is the old para phrase of the Allstate line "your in good hands" yes but they are around a pert of your body that is very tender. Needless to say it has been a struggle and I am becoming more certain that I will need legal assistance. First they tried to low ball the estimate significantly from what the body shop (aligned with the Porsche dealership) had computed. Now they are playing games with the issue of reduced value. Oh well should be an interesting several weeks.

Quick Reply: They are really well built Thnaks Porsche