Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Transfer Case and/or Module Defects?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
bkmogul
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Transfer Case and/or Module Defects?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi to all. This is my first post although I have been reading it quite frequently since I found the site a couple weeks ago. Have a 2004 Cayenne S. A complete L-O-A-D. (Also a 911Turbo (not a LOAD)). Cayenne has been in the shop more times than I can remember (literally) since I bought it for my wife, and the dealer usually gives her a loaner while they feign ignorance about all the problems, documented defects and design deficiencies that it has. Should have known better when it took about 30 days over multiple visits to have Porsche replace the transmission I suggested was defective before I bought it (I know... what was I thinking...). Well, when it runs, it runs well and then I like it. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE OR KNOW OF A DEFECT/RECALL IN THE TRANSFER CASE AND/OR TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE? This is the most recent problem, which of course, the dealer can only repair, but knows of no TSBs/Recalls?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...long-post.html
Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
bkmogul
3rd Gear

YOU ARE THE BOMB! If you were here, I'd buy you a scotch and soda! Am looking forward to having a chat with Porsche NA tomorrow!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Way to go Pops
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Pops is DA MAN!

And next week I'll be celebrating 4 beautiful years of care-free Cayenne ownership..... time flies!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry. Did I just type "care-free"? Must be the bordeaux talking. I obviously forgot to use little quotation marks......
Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Now that you mention it, exactly how long has it been since Larry's Cayenne "disappeared" ?
Never got around to filling out a police report...clearly it must have been stolen.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

During the course of the last year, I've been experiencing an odd "clunk" or surge at highway speeds of approximately 117-120 km/h (70-72 mph). After roadtesting the vehicle together with the dealership's chief technician, the prognosis seems to be a faulty transfer case.

Transfer case is on order. Will advise of results once it's swapped.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Transfer Case replaced. Clunk is gone. The swap seems to have also cured the odd abrupt shift; which I slowly started to believe was a normal incidence with the Cayenne Tip.

Now, if only I can get rid of that gear oil odor under the engine compartment. Replacement transfer cases come shipped from the factory dry and are field-filled by dealer. Foaming or overfill? I say not.....
Old 09-27-2015, 11:23 AM
agustin guevara
4th Gear

Default Cayenne S Transfer case defect

Hi, I have the same problem with a Cayenne S with 17.3k miles that start with a extrange bump under the driver seat when i push for more gas to pass another car, after few milles the bumps gets continious and any speed. I take it to Porsche service and they confirm th problem is the transfer case...
Im waiting for a "good will" free of charge change, due the 2 year warranty had pass.
Its my second cayenne s, with the first one I learn of this group, cause several problems with the gas pumps and the the computer "brain" permanent failures( just 7k miles life). At that time i have to sell the truck and receive another one with a good and fair discount....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi to all. This is my first post although I have been reading it quite frequently since I found the site a couple weeks ago. Have a 2004 Cayenne S. A complete L-O-A-D. (Also a 911Turbo (not a LOAD)). Cayenne has been in the shop more times than I can remember (literally) since I bought it for my wife, and the dealer usually gives her a loaner while they feign ignorance about all the problems, documented defects and design deficiencies that it has. Should have known better when it took about 30 days over multiple visits to have Porsche replace the transmission I suggested was defective before I bought it (I know... what was I thinking...). Well, when it runs, it runs well and then I like it. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE OR KNOW OF A DEFECT/RECALL IN THE TRANSFER CASE AND/OR TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE? This is the most recent problem, which of course, the dealer can only repair, but knows of no TSBs/Recalls?[/QUOTE]
Old 06-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2016 Cayenne...
exactly as described, another transfer case
Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it safe to assume that Porsche is going to fix this issue, warranty or no warranty? Seems absolutely rediculous.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
2016 Cayenne...
exactly as described, another transfer case
You might do better in the 958 transfer case thread - in the 958 subforum. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...sfer-case.html

And for Mrg02D - not a given. They do often provide assistance in the replacement of the case if the customer has been a loyal customer of the dealership asking for assistance, and a possible buyer of a new Porsche. And if the Cayenne is under 100k miles.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 PM
MDTXCA
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So, mines a 2015 CS at 36K miles.

I noticed for the past month a skipping and rubbing like issue on the tires, I thought it'll smooth itself out, but it is not going away. Feeling of going over very small speed bumps or slipping tires in short repetition in low speeds.

Now reading this thread today, I think my transfer case has gone bad. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership as it is under warranty. I will bring up transfer case knowledge and update you guys.

I just want to make sure what kind of feeling a bad transfer case feels like. What I described is a bad transfer case?
Old 06-07-2019, 01:07 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Hi - you posted this in the wrong forum. You own a 958. There is a subforum for each generation of Cayenne - I suggest you do a bit of reading in that forum. There are a number of very detailed threads on transfer case issues which should be helpful for you.

Meanwhile - this is where you want to go: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018-242/

Quick Reply: Cayenne Transfer Case and/or Module Defects?