Sponsored by:

Looking at new wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
I did read it wrong somewhere else and was all confused esp bc this thread I thought was referring to how wide you could go (who'd want a taller tire - seems kinda goofy).
A 275/45 is going to have a better "cushion" between the road and the wheel (not the tire) than a 275/40, I wanted that cushion. A 265/70 which I think was the stock size (on 18's) will have a much bigger cushion still. I did not want the "lower profile" of the 275/40 which is why I went w/ the taller 45's.

Yes, most definitely check with the dealer/mfgr. as to what size tires would fit on your rims, that's what I did and the 275/45 x 20's are fine for my 20 x 9 rims. Did NOT mean to imply the 295/40's would fit on 9" wide rims, I have no idea if they would (but I doubt it) I was just using that size to explain the comparison.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Well don't expect these tires to do too well when the road is ice! Had an appointment this afternoon, it's been snowing but not real heavy, had a layer of sleet first. Coming home from an appointment this afternoon, there are only 2 roads that have access to our development, 1 I knew was iced up, the other I suspected was. Came over the hill and there was a lady in a Volvo stopped in the middle of the road and it was solid ice. I tried to brake but just slid, and slid. Lifted off the brakes and just tried to steer. Slid right by her with not even 6 in. to spare, if our side mirrors were the same height they would have hit. I slid all the way down the hill and around the stopsign. I pulled over to walk back up and help her get turned around, it wouldn't have been harder if I'd been on roller skates. Did manage to help her get turned around and she slid all the way down the hill too. Managed to make it back home but my wife's car couldn't make it up the street to our driveway.

Ours is a very bad area in these icy conditions, just not enough traffic to keep the ice off. Tomorrow should be worse, we don't expect to get above freezing for several more days and we just don't have the equipment to keep these side streets clear.

Hope you all are doing better!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Bill, you were lucky.

I live in a rural area, we have to keep about 1000' of drive cleared (between myself and 2 neighbors), plus our own driveways and parking areas, but they plow our road pretty well. I posted up some pics in a snow thread on here, I'm sure. We do have a helluva hill to get up to our property, but the Cayenne handles it without any problems with my 19" Conti DWS all seasons on it.

Before...

After...

They're calling for snow overnight here, but just a light accumulation here in Frederick. 2-4" they say, but I'm hoping for a little more

Last edited by WayneE; 01-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill, when we have freezing rain, I park everything and only go out with old fashioned golf shoes-metal studs!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Stone43
Racer

Thanks for all of the input guys (although most of it negative : )

I went ahead and bought the 295x45X20. I do not have the offset technos, so probably 9's all around. I drove it home and noticed a huge difference in ride (much better). No rubbing up front at all. I will take it out on some curves this weekend to see how it handles. The tread design is nice and I personally like as much rubber on the road that I can get. I did the same thing when I had my 911's. I always went for the wider tires.

And for the guy that said they would look like ****, I disagree. They fill out the wheel wells much better. I had the Pirellis on them when I first got the pig and all I got was about 10K miles and road rash on my wheels. The latter obviously being my fault. My use for the vehicle is mostly lots of highway driving in straight lines, so I don't really need a low profile tire.

I will take some pictures this weekend and post after I get her all washed up.

I live in San Diego, so not much to deal with in terms of rain/snow. Only when we go skiing (of which I will report on).
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Stone, the Sport Technos come in both 9" & 10" widths. If your wheels are OE Porsche there will be 2 numbers, 1 ea. on either side of the valve stem. 1 number is the wheel offset (65 I think) and the other will be the wheel width (9 or 10). That is the easiest way to tell the wheel width.

As for the tire sizes vs. wheel sizes see here Yoko Tire specs

You'll see for that tire in 295/45 - 20 Yoko recommends 9.5 - 11" rims.
For my size tire 275/45 - 20 they rec. 8.5 - 10.5 so on my 9" rims they're fine.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 01-08-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 20" OE Sport Technos, the factory recommends 275/40/20 tires all around even though the front uses 9" width & rear uses 10" width wheels.

I really wanted to go with 275/45/20 tires, but the dealer advised that this might impact the factory warranty, pepper is still under warranty for next 15 more months.

I'm pretty satisfied with them so far, haven't really tested in snow yet, but seems pretty good in dry & wet conditions. (but I should also mention that I'm not that crazy driver neither.)
Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 PM
charlieXS
Pro

hi bill

they're nice... what's your 6 month+ review? How is the finish holding up? Still straight? Can you post a quarter view so we can see how the whels sit in the well?

thx!!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Cayenne81
AutoX

Pictures stone? I'm thinking of doing the same size tires . How did they hold up?

Quick Reply: Looking at new wheels and tires