Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking at new wheels and tires

I'm really tempted to try out a set of these:

GTS style in 20"

along with these tires:
Yokohama Parada Spec-X

The stock 18"s the pepper came with are quite plain and I'm tired of waiting for the tire tread to wear down.

BTW, they're $559 (set) thru Ebay....
Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Italian made wheels?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
along with these tires:
Yokohama Parada Spec-X
The Yokohama Parada Spec-X is what I bought to replace my worn 20" Continental SportContact OEM tires.

The Contis lasted 17K miles but I drove them until they were bald, I should've replaced them at around 15K miles.

I don't have any complaints with the Yokos and I would buy them again if I had to. The ride seems softer than the Contis and they are very quiet at all speeds and on various road surfaces. Their low price compared to the other 20-inch tires made it an attractive choice.

I cannot yet comment on grip/traction as I am slowly building my confidence with these tires. I don't push them too hard through corners yet, not until I get a good feel for their grip. I expect them to be less grippy as they are all-season tires but I accepted that tradeoff since I wanted to be able to use them for the occasional trip through the Sierras during the Winter (light snow only, I wouldn't bother going through if the snow was worse than that).

They look good although that wasn't a consideration. There were no issues with balancing the tires with my rims.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
The Yokohama Parada Spec-X is what I bought to replace my worn 20" Continental SportContact OEM tires.

The Contis lasted 17K miles but I drove them until they were bald, I should've replaced them at around 15K miles.

I don't have any complaints with the Yokos and I would buy them again if I had to. The ride seems softer than the Contis and they are very quiet at all speeds and on various road surfaces. Their low price compared to the other 20-inch tires made it an attractive choice.

I cannot yet comment on grip/traction as I am slowly building my confidence with these tires. I don't push them too hard through corners yet, not until I get a good feel for their grip. I expect them to be less grippy as they are all-season tires but I accepted that tradeoff since I wanted to be able to use them for the occasional trip through the Sierras during the Winter (light snow only, I wouldn't bother going through if the snow was worse than that).

They look good although that wasn't a consideration. There were no issues with balancing the tires with my rims.
Thanks for the tire info. We don't get much snow in TN so it isn't an issue for me. However we do get rain/ice and low 30's temps so I wouldn't want to go through a winter on straight summer tires. The tires I have now are the Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires, plenty of grip IMHO.

Italian made wheels?
Don't know but I doubt it. I'm tired of waiting for some Italian made reps.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Love those wheels. Please give me a call if I can help on the tires! The Yoko has been a great seller. So good in fact, it's been very tough to keep in stock.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, I have those same wheels and tires! Had them for about a year and very happy with them. The wheels seem to have held up well and the tires are great. Barely any wear showing after 10k miles.

David
Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the yokos I had got noisy half way thru tread life
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Hey, I have those same wheels and tires! Had them for about a year and very happy with them. The wheels seem to have held up well and the tires are great. Barely any wear showing after 10k miles.

David
Thank you very much sir. I like hearing that feedback. They look much better than my plain 18"s.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

OK, broke down and ordered the GTS style 20" (x 9") wheels from the ebay vendor and the Yoko Parada Spec-X in 275/45-20 from Damon today. Hopefully the wheels will be here by Thurs (tires will be here Tues) and I'll be able to get them on before I leave for Northern AR (Porsche Palooza).

Last edited by Slow Guy; 11-10-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Make sure to post some pics!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Make sure to post some pics!
Will do. Need to wax it this w/e too. Couldn't go to Palooza looking like it does, it's filthy.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'm acutally washing the 996 tonight. We don't have anything big planned tomorrow, but our local PCA chapter is getting together for our Second Saturday Breakfast meeting. I have the new winter wheels on the car, and I can't show up with a dirty vehicle!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993BillW
OK, broke down and ordered the GTS style 20" (x 9") wheels from the ebay vendor and the Yoko Parada Spec-X in 275/45-20 from Damon today. Hopefully the wheels will be here by Thurs (tires will be here Tues) and I'll be able to get them on before I leave for Northern AR (Porsche Palooza).
Tires arrived today from Tire Rack (Georgia warehouse). Tires do look nice and they're asymmetric (?) (have a specified rotation direction). Now just waiting on the wheels, and yes Dennis, the wheels are made in China. Oh well.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:59 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you reusing your original TPMS sensors or did you buy new ones?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by WayneE
Are you reusing your original TPMS sensors or did you buy new ones?
No TPMS on this Pepper. (Now you've got me questioning myself) OK, crap, I wonder what the option code for TPMS is?

Quick Reply: Looking at new wheels and tires