Sponsored by:

Retro-fit audio/video/GPS options -n00b

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro-fit audio/video/GPS options -n00b

Anyone know what options we have for the '04 with Bose but not PCM? I just purchased a Certified S and am considering pulling out the slim unit in it and adding a modern GPS/Video/Audio head.

Any issues with the Bose speaker connections or???

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the P!g Pen.

As part of your initiation, it is my duty to "remind" you to "STFF" ... of course MadFox says it better. People have actually died here, contributing their knowledge before their untimely deaths, so please respect their memories by using the 'Search' function.....always and often.

To be brief, all MY03+ Porsches have plastic optical fiber (POF) configured in what is called "MOST". Read this at your own risk.....no ,wait, you've already bought a P!g, so this is nothing.....
www.mostcooperation.com

So, what you have is POF from the headunit (master) to the amplifier to the CDChanger and back to the headunit.

There are no aftermarket MOST headunits (long story as to why not), so if you replace the headunit, you will have to replace the amplifier and CDChanger, run good old fashioned copper wires and be done with it.

This has been done in various forums, again since the MOST infotainment design is common to all MY03+ Porsches (Carrera/Boxster and P!g platforms). There are stereo installers who can do this for you as well.

As a homework assignment, I will leave it up to you to find out where the "subwoofer" is and what to do about it.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, it is forum tradition for new owners to post pictures of their new P!g...granted, they all look alike, you've seen one P!g you've seen them all, but nonetheless, a tradition.....
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

"granted, they all look alike"

unless some lipstick is applied!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdxjim
"granted, they all look alike"

unless some lipstick is applied!
Tasetfully applied...there have been some 'Tammy Fay Baker' edition Cayennes displayed over the years...
Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link and the explanation of the LEAST common stereo technology on the planet. I tihnk I'll go back to burning my Favorites list from iTunes to CD and use the changer.

I'll work on the photo just to fit in......

Thanks again...
Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coyote99
Thanks for the link and the explanation of the LEAST common stereo technology on the planet. I tihnk I'll go back to burning my Favorites list from iTunes to CD and use the changer.

I'll work on the photo just to fit in......

Thanks again...
Ironically, almost all the German cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche) adopted MOST and have (so far) stuck with it.
AFAIK, there was only one attempt at MOST in Japan...didn't quite turn out as expected.
MOST is no longer POF, but there is an electrical physical layer version.
Nissan/Renault was looking at industrial Firewire (1394) as the basis for an infotainment network.
In other words, OEMs aren't really looking for old fashioned copper wire harnesses all over the car...they like the network approach.

Now, if you are going to keep the headunit, rather than burn CD's (from your iPod/iTunes) for the CDChanger, I would strongly suggest installing a MOST adapter (available from mOBridge, Dension, NAV-TV). This will allow you to play/control your iPod from the headunit and NOT have to remove anything.
They have been installed and discussed here and in other forums on RL...remember, the infotainment design between the P!g and the proper Porsches are the same, so check the other forums.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Great info...TY TY TY.

The Dension kit looks great but......$650 shipped for the iPod only seems to point to installing an in-dash unit with a modern Nav option. They all come with Bluetooth and iPod as well and there is a double-DIN slot available. I've got the CR23 CD head unit (nor PCM) in mine so losing the in-dash unit is not a big deal. I'd feel differently about the same trade on my Audi A8 with MMI.

I'm going to look into a replacement system from a local shop that worked on my older 911 and did nice work. If I end up with this route I'll post pics when finished.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

A much lower cost alternative (to simply put iPod audio into the headunit, no other controls nor display) would be to just use a HARDWIRED FM modulator (no wireless modulators).

Your esteemed forum Moderator and day care provider, Mudman2, has a DIY IIRC on this.
The S/N performance is more than acceptable and it can be done for about $49 (cost of modulator + cable).

Quick Reply: Retro-fit audio/video/GPS options -n00b