engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine problem

Need advice.

I recently had my 04 turbo in the shop for a check up due to it running like *** . they concluded that the truck needed a new turbo and the timing chain needed to be replaced. They also told me that it had 1,3,7, cylinders out due to the c coil packs not firing. The truck only has 50,000 miles on it. I had all the coil packs and all the plugs replaced the other day and all was fine till today when the engine light came on.

Maybe I’m on the wrong track but I was thinking the timing chain code came up due to the 3 dead hole. The truck runs like a champ now but as I said the check engine light came on again. If it was the timing chain wouldn’t it run like a$$? Could it be something different? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

How is it idling? With a timing chain problem (stretch) the passenger side bank's timing becomes out and your idle is rough. Soon as you're on boost/higher rpm things smooth out. Didn't think they needed to replace the chain and could adjust it?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

thats what I don't get. It runs smooth? And no, they never gave me the option to adjust the chain. I never knew it was an option.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:54 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

they concluded that the truck needed a new turbo
Why? Did they tell you why they think a turbo is bad. If it is because of an oil leak @ the drivers side turbo then you need to go to a different shop, they are IDIOTS. I will not say all but pretty damn close to every Cayenne turbo leaks oil at the bank 2 (drivers side) turbo. They car vents the crankcase through that turbo under boost. Porsche has a ATI bullitin instructing use to just replace the seal/hose coming off that turbo going into the intercooler. They will not tell us why so much oil is in there to begin with, but they made it very clear that the turbo is not the source!!! So more info would be great about why they think one of the turbo's has failed. I have only seen 1 tubo fail in almost 5 years, very rare.

They also told me that it had 1,3,7, cylinders out due to the c coil packs not firing

This is a no brainer, replace all coils with the most up to date coil packs. They all crack, very well documented failure.

and the timing chain needed to be replaced
There has been some failures with the vario cam adjustment solenoids and vane adjusters. The car propably had fault codes p0011 and p0021, Adjustment of Inlet Camshaft in relation to Crankshaft,
Bank 1 (and bank 2)– Signal Implausible. I would seek a second opinion from another indy or good dealer. I have talked to heard of other techs/shops replacing solenoids all day long and fixing cars. Some cases require the vane adjuster on the camshaft to be replaced too. It is very strange though, we see a ton of Cayenns here in CO, and at our shop we have done very very little vario cam solenoid/vane adjuster repairs. I have seen the faults from time to time, but no present, re-occuring faults. ??? I have been told that the intake camshafts are slow to retard timing when coming down to idle, this causes a lopy, rough idle. Lack of oil changes has been a culprit too.

I would seek a second opinion before I pulled the trigger. Just my .02 cents!

I had all the coil packs and all the plugs replaced the other day and all was fine till today when the engine light came on.
Can you provide a fault code?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
I have been told that the intake camshafts are slow to retard timing when coming down to idle, this causes a lopy, rough idle. Lack of oil changes has been a culprit too.
Sorry to revive an ancient thread. I have replaced my coils and plugs and upper engine torque arm. I have a lopy rough idle.. and recently have been getting a few random Workshop messages and I had a stored P0011 message. I'm not sure how long the car had that stored.. and it did need an oil change which I recently performed.

So I am wondering if I need engine mounts, to clean the throttle body or if something else's at play that is making my idle rough. Can oxygen sensors be a culprit? I have about 128k miles on the car and the emissions equipment is original... I believe.

TIA
Old 08-10-2016, 02:54 PM
bbb bbb
AutoX

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
How is it idling? With a timing chain problem (stretch) the passenger side bank's timing becomes out and your idle is rough. Soon as you're on boost/higher rpm things smooth out. Didn't think they needed to replace the chain and could adjust it?
Hi,

A long time ago you posted a message above about a Cayenne having problems. I have a 2008 Cayenne GTS. I have a rough idle with faults all on bank 1 and cyl 3 misfiring only at idle. As soon as I apply and throttle engine smoothes and no misfire. Full top end power. I have been replacing parts for several months and not fixed.

Can you better explain why a stretched chain could only affect bank 1? Also, how do you check the chain without disassembly?

I appreciate your time in helping me with this. If you don't mind reading my recent fully detailed postings it would truly be appreciated. At the moment I am at a loss as to what to do.
If you search "2008 Cayenne GTS MIND BOGGLING ENGINE LIGHT ... BEGGING FOR HELP" in the title bar you can find my posts.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: engine problem