Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do/can you tow with your pepper S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts
Default What do/can you tow with your pepper S?

Hi All,
I have an 06 Cayenne S that is going to start a second life as a tow vehicle for the track.
The pepper does not yet have a tow receiver and I was going to let the dealer install that and the wiring unless people think otherwise.
I know the Cayenne will tow something like a Trailex 7541 with a Boxster or 911 on the back with no problem. (trailer approx 1000 pounds and car 2800-3600 pounds).
Does anyone here tow an enclosed trailer? I think even the aluminum ones start at close to 3000 pounds. The cayenne lists 7700 lbs as max but I'm not sure how bad it is for the pepper to get close to that weight.
Any help appreciated!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a 24' enclosed Haulmark that I use to haul my '74 911S track car. Approaching 6200 pounds and have not had a problem with my '04 Cayenne S, my '06 Cayenne Turbo, nor my '08 Cayenne GTS. Mileage suffers a bit (you'll get around 12-13mpg).

Toby
Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
I have a 24' enclosed Haulmark that I use to haul my '74 911S track car. Approaching 6200 pounds and have not had a problem with my '04 Cayenne S, my '06 Cayenne Turbo, nor my '08 Cayenne GTS. Mileage suffers a bit (you'll get around 12-13mpg).

Toby
Thanks Toby - good to know.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 PM
BG993
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to pull a 20 ft box with my CS that carried my 951 race car. The trailer pulled fine, but it was very difficult to see around it.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah the slippery slope of DE claims yet another.....

Veteran forum member 'skl' towed an enclosed all aluminum ATC with his P!g.
Often misunderstood and deceased forum member "Larry" towed a similar Cargopro all aluminum enclosed.

Brake controllers are straightforward and well documented here.

Proper towing mirrors are not available for the P!g, so clip on extensions are required (both for safe towing and for legal reasons....you need to be able to see an emergency vehicle behind you...a cop will often sit back and flash you and if you don't respond, he might pull you over)

Driving in 'manual' Tiptronic mode is recommended, since 6th gear is useless on all except perfectly flat terrain. The Aisin transmission does not have a dedicated 'tow' mode like a proper tow vehicle would.

PASM is recommended, but not required....there is some debate on the use of a load leveling hitch on a PASM equipped vehicle.

The wheelbase is a bit short, so reduced speed is highly recommended.

The range is 200-250miles on a tank, again we're not talking a diesel with a 44 gallon tank.

A compromise at best, but marginally capable with proper caution (especially when compared to a dedicated/proper tow vehicle)
Old 09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BG993
I used to pull a 20 ft box with my CS that carried my 951 race car. The trailer pulled fine, but it was very difficult to see around it.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by ltc
Ah the slippery slope of DE claims yet another.....

Veteran forum member 'skl' towed an enclosed all aluminum ATC with his P!g.
Often misunderstood and deceased forum member "Larry" towed a similar Cargopro all aluminum enclosed.

Brake controllers are straightforward and well documented here.

Proper towing mirrors are not available for the P!g, so clip on extensions are required (both for safe towing and for legal reasons....you need to be able to see an emergency vehicle behind you...a cop will often sit back and flash you and if you don't respond, he might pull you over)

Driving in 'manual' Tiptronic mode is recommended, since 6th gear is useless on all except perfectly flat terrain. The Aisin transmission does not have a dedicated 'tow' mode like a proper tow vehicle would.

PASM is recommended, but not required....there is some debate on the use of a load leveling hitch on a PASM equipped vehicle.

The wheelbase is a bit short, so reduced speed is highly recommended.

The range is 200-250miles on a tank, again we're not talking a diesel with a 44 gallon tank.

A compromise at best, but marginally capable with proper caution (especially when compared to a dedicated/proper tow vehicle)
Yes Lewis,...that darned slippery slope!
Great info about the dynamics of towing with the pig,....THANKS! Poor Larry.
I'm leaning towards an open trailer mainly because of storage purposes in my yard.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

An open will likely not require tow mirror extensions.
However, depending on the design/manufacturer of the open (axle position, position of tire racks, toolboxes and front nose shield), I would recommend the purchase of a tongue weight scale...

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

And optional bedtime reading:
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

Make sure you position the brake controller where you can quickly reach down (without looking and while belted in) and manually activate the trailer brakes (in case you start to get the tail wagging a bit)....unless of course your trailer has surge brakes (FWIW, I prefer electric).

BTW, Atlantic Coast Trailers has moved (they're now in Oxford MA), in case you want to go down and look at some aluminum open trailers and talk to Dave and the guys about trailers and towing.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

04 CS, enclosed trailex, 2200 lb car, tools, tires,ezup, etc. Dont even know the trailer is back there. Search under hitch and youll find plenty of self and dealer install info on the hitch and connectors.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have towed my 993 with a Uhaul Auto Transport and an open Featherlite trailer without any issues. I was only going from Chicago to Wisconsin and probably close to 5k lbs. Decent pickup and good stopping in Chicago traffic too, even with the surge brakes on the uhaul.

For the brake controller skip the high end prodigy and get the old school controller, I forget the name of it. Also, get the VW connectors instead of having the trailer shop cut the wires.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jaholmes
For the brake controller skip the high end prodigy and get the old school controller, I forget the name of it. Also, get the VW connectors instead of having the trailer shop cut the wires.
The VAG connectors are available at a VW dealer or online (World Impex or others). No need whatsoever to cut anything...

Answer: Installing Trailer Brakes:
QTY: PARTS:
2 000979228
1 1J0972782
1 Brake Controller

Get the first two items from a Volkswagon Dealer; Porsche
does not carry the connectors or wires. You can get
the controller from your local trailer store or online from
ETRAILER.COM.

First, remove under tray panel under dash on driver side.
Find 20 torx in center of panel and remove it.

Drop panel down and look for a 4 prong square connector on left side of dash, hanging off of main harness. Might be wrapped with grey foam.

Install the ends of the wires 0009799228
in the 4 slots in the connector, part number 1J0972782.

CONNECTOR IN CAR: WIRE COLOR:

TERMINAL 1: BROWN
TERMINAL 2: RED Check fuse box right
F19, make sure it has a 30 AMP fuse in it.
TERMINAL 3: BLACK/ RED
TERMINAL 4: BLUE

WIRING TO CONTROLLER:

TERMINAL 1: GROUND
TERMINAL 2: B+ POWER ALL THE TIME
TERMINAL 3: STOP LIGHT
TERMINAL 4: TRAILER BRAKE
Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Hye all,

Thanks for the info above.

My wife is interested in purchasing a horse trailer to tow with our 2004 C-TT. It has all the hitch and wiring direct to the rear of the vehicle (whether it works remains to be seen).

Has anyone pulled horses instead of horse powers??

My next question is do you definitely need the surge brake controller for the C-TT or was it something only needed for the C-S??

When it was last in for service I had the tech make sure all the hardware was in place (as we have a beta) and was ready to use - they repalced one connector in the back as it was corroded but was confirmed after service that all is fine to use.

Thanks!! T2
Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

One of the ladies who won the Porsche Grand Slam tennis event a few years ago, Martina Hingis maybe?, won a Cayenne and she used it to pull her horse trailer with two animals. It was documented in a Christophorous article (I'll look for the issue number).

Yes, you want the electric brake controller regardless of Cayenne model.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by T2
My next question is do you definitely need the surge brake controller for the C-TT or was it something only needed for the C-S??
AFAIK, you don't need a controller for surge brakes, it is a hydraulic control system, part of the trailer.
IIRC, there was a post a long time ago regarding "!" and surge brakes, but I don't know if "!" was due to the trailer lighting configuration.

It makes little sense to install an electric brake controller if your trailer is equipped with surge brakes, unless of course you want to be able to tow other trailers.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the recommend brake controller for the Cayenne?? Prodigy?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff

Toby
WITHOUT towing i get 15 mpg
towing 7000 lbs i get 9mpg, no hills.
i have a defective GTS

Quick Reply: What do/can you tow with your pepper S?