Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Pink
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thanks to the links and Vino's scan of his receipt I was able to talk them down to $2k. Still a crap load if you ask me, but a little research, discovery and contribution from this forum saved my future mom in law $500 thanks guys.....so much for that warranty.

Either way after this I think she's going to sell it, anyone need a Cayenne S? Metal coolant pipes!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
I know it will come someday................. when someone get killed or seriously injured by this issue, for example, while driving on a highway 50-70mph (depending on the state) all of a sudden the white smoke blinds the front view and the Porsche Cayenne driver crashes.
Porsche will get sued for this and they will pay out a big $$$ for their cheapness. And hopefully National Highway Safety Board or whatever it's called, issues recall for Porsche to replace all these cheapo coolant pipes.
(keep your repair receipt to get your $$$ back if this happens in the future.)
Not sure why they take a risk like this, well, I guess we gamble throughout our life cycle anyways.

I know it sounds pretty harsh but it costs innocent one's life to change the cheapo *** corporation's mind when it comes to business.

Kindda surprised the fact that Porsche changed the replacement parts though; this indicates that they admit the design flaw, which should have been voluntary recall.)
Extremely disappointed of the company like Porsche doesn't step up to take care of their customers like how other car companies do. (Honda/Toyota)
Wow...
Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 AM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Wow...

Exactly, you see how pissed I'm.

What comes to your mind when you hear the name of ::Porsche::?
A true sports vehicle; I believe they named Cayenne as a high performance SUV, but heck, a high performance SUV with few plastic coolant pipes all over the place.
What a f-king joke!!! (especially Porsche introduced the upgrade parts but didn't bother to deploy 'em from the factory even after they knew about this issue.)

This might be my first & last time buying Porsche.
What do you do when you see a pile of doggy poop on the sidewalk, you walk around it, not because you are afraid of it, but it's dirty that you don't want to deal with it; kindda goes along with my impression towards Porsche.

$.02
Old 12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go over to the 996 forum and do a search on "M96 engine failure."

A few plastic coolant pipes failing is trivial compared to that...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Exactly, you see how pissed I'm.

What comes to your mind when you hear the name of ::Porsche::?
A true sports vehicle; I believe they named Cayenne as a high performance SUV, but heck, a high performance SUV with few plastic coolant pipes all over the place.
What a f-king joke!!! (especially Porsche introduced the upgrade parts but didn't bother to deploy 'em from the factory even after they knew about this issue.)

What do you do when you see a pile of doggy poop on the sidewalk, you walk around it, not because you are afraid of it, but it's dirty that you don't want to deal with it; kindda goes along with my impression towards Porsche.

$.02
The funny thing I actually understand better than you can possibly imagine.
BTW, nice touch with the !!!
Good luck.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Don't say that, you haven't bought/driven a proper Porsche yet...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc

I was referring to the company's moral character not the company's products.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM
profusion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i brought my05 s to the dealer this weekend for high speed balancing, tire rotation and some warranty work. first off, mine is a cpo and is good until 11/2010. the mechanic was very friendly and he let me stay inside the shop while he worked on the suv. he even showed me what service was done and if i have any open recalls. he told me that he knows about the coolant pipes and said i better pray that it goes bad before the warranty expires. the last one he repaired had 132K miles and total cost was over $2k.

now is there a way to convince the dealer to replace it? i dont want to be stuck on the road with the wifey and 2 year when we go long driving this coming spring and summer.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
pcst
Racer

Originally Posted by profusion
now is there a way to convince the dealer to replace it? i dont want to be stuck on the road with the wifey and 2 year when we go long driving this coming spring and summer.

Please let me know once you figure this out.

I've been using Cayenne as a short distance grocery getter since I learned about this. Never again want to experience and waste my time getting stuck on the road, fool me once but good luck on the 2nd try.

Kindda sucks though,,,, bought this SUV to be used for our winter vehicle, but looks like I'll be renting Ford Explorer for snowboard trips. Rather be paying $$$ to have a safe trip than wasting entire day dealing with stupid car issue.

Shame on you Porsche!

ps> I still have warranty, will wait 'til whichever comes first,,,, if my plastic hoses still holding up after the warranty expires, I'll have 'em replaced as "preventative maintenance" item. But if they fail prior to warranty expiration, I guess I will have the dealer replace the starter as a "preventative maintenance." Don't have a full confidence on the electric part that has been showered with anti-freeze liquid.

Last edited by pcst; 12-14-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The coolant pipes will go but they rarely just without warning. Mine was high , milieage when it went.

To get the dealer to replace under warranty. take the top off and insert knife ..........
Old 12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

set the stage. call them up and tell them you have been smelling AF. Then pour some AF down the back of the engine and pull into dealer parking lot smoking. " I was just driving along when she started smoking. I guess the coolant tubes finally went". Can i have a loaner?
its a shame we have to resort to this crap especially when they know its going to happen.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
profusion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a shame alright but not everyone is willing to spend $2k on something that should have been done correctly to begin with, correct? if im going to set the stage, i want to set it right. inserting knife sounds like a plan but would they be able to tell once they open it up? oh boy oh boy...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

a- u said its under warranty. ur not spending the 2G. try and get it doen b4 u are nekkid. they are going to leak.
b- they cant positively say its the coolant tubes without doing the job. and even then there is no positive, OMG, theres the leak! The AF gets past the o rings on the plastic tubes if it hasnt actually split a hole in a tube. so there can be a leak without a visible cause. they are going to do the job assuming its the coolant tubes.
c- I pulled into my dealer with the car smokin. tech comes out and says.......cmon lets say it together.
"coolant tubes".
Warranty? he asks
Nope... I'm nekkid. with a shrug
Well then, he says, step up to our parts counter and bend over.

i learned to play games the hard way on my coil issue. I was on the road to a DE at Summit and had to go to the dealer in Rockville, MD (newly nekkid) as the CEL came on and it started to severely misfire. They determined the one coil under the motor mount, of course, was bad. Cracked coil was replaced and all the others were pulled and were ok. $400 later I left MD and drove home to replace the other 7 myself. It was "suggested" I go home, pull a wire, start the car, throw a CEL, and then go to the dealer to replace the other 7. Which is, if you have been reading the forums, Porsches SOP. replace the bad one on initial complaint, if you come back again they replace the other 7. After some pleading I did get some goodwill from porsche and was reimbursed for the $400 one coil job. But i learned a lesson that day and i am sorry to say their business practices arent the most customer friendly.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

guys,
Much thanx to P52 and everyone else that offered advice and pics. I finally got the coolant tubes done last week and I'm calm enuf to type. I took my time and did the job over 2 days spending almost 9 hrs on it. The pics and writer up by P52 are worth their weight in gold. I took a set of my own pics as i went along for future reference as i hope to never be in there again. My "while I was in there" list included the starter, water pump, water pump pulley and a new belt adding to the fleeting $ from my pocket. All in all the job now doesn't seem that hard.
my thanx again for the help.

Last edited by SCOTITUDE; 06-07-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Amen... sadly, makes me wonder how many others have experienced this same sentiment. Any chance Larry kept a tally somewhere?

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.