Default Manual roof opening

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
The dealer took an hour or less to fix (my problem was simple) but I would be cautious with taking it to an indy due the lack of Pano roof models out there. I would be fearful the indy would charge for time to fix which most of it would be them figuring out how to fix and how the system works which you would be paying for. May make sense with this one for the dealer to look at it... Best of luck!
A bit late, but thanks for this. The dealer did fix it and it was not too bad at all, but I had a friend there, who has since left, so hopefully I don't need it again soon.

A question about lubrication. The tech and the service advisor advised against lubricating the sunroof mechanism because then it attracts dust.... Any truth to this? Mine is a bit slow closing and I feel like following the advise of others on here who recommend lubricating the moving parts and maybe even the seals. Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I would say don't over lube it, just enough to help it from hanging up. It is lubed from the factory so it can't be a bad idea. The key is to identify the appropriate lubricant and where to put it. There is lubricant above and below the track as there is two tracks (one on top and one on the bottom the actual window rails)

Also, I lubed mine and it didn't help the slow speed at all. It was all related to alignment. Unsure what your problem is with running slow but my problem wasn't lubrication.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:49 PM
jimwegg
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Pano problems

My '05 Cayenne Pano roof's wind deflector will not move. It is stuck slightly open, more on one side than the other. Several have looked at it, but unsure of their knowledge. Both say replace ($7k to $9k). I live in Portland, OR, and I am a mechanical moron who loves my Cayenne. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Guys, check the wiring loom going towards the dial switch. They get very hot from increased amperage from strain and the insulation crumbles-away. Then, the six wires are all touching each other and the Gremlins ALL come out!

Panoramic Sunroof "cartridge" assembly pic for attention:

This is what drops-into your gaping roof cavity!!!

Last edited by Dilberto; 05-20-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Jeff84404
AutoX

Default Panoramic necropost

Hi,
My panoramic sunroof decided to stop working and wouldn't close all of the way, regardless of what I tried. I attempted the reset, no luck. The front pane would move forward about halfway then reverse, and each time would do it slower and slower until it just stopped responding. The emergency closure didn't work at the allen key easily stripped the inside the female part as something must be jammed up in the system, wasn't even applying near the amount of force I'd expect to have to apply to move the system with the allen key. Anyway, looking for ideas on how to disconnect the system so the front pane will slide the rest of the way forward and close. I don't plan on using it again as I can't risk again what just happened... stuck open in winter with snow on the horizon.
Thanks for the help. Yes, I searched and searched and couldn't find the answer before bringing this post back from the dead.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Use the Emergency crank bypass, at rear of headliner...
Old 01-30-2019, 01:39 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

lack of lubrication kills them, and they were always trouble. I never order that option each time I buy a Cayenne, also the 911 late targa roof is just as troublesome
Old 01-30-2019, 03:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Use the Emergency crank bypass, at rear of headliner...
Did you read what he wrote? He tried that and stripped the female hex receptacle.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 AM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, for your sake, don't try to force anything. Speaking from personal experience, my normal sunroof's cable broke inside its track a few months ago and trying to close the sunroof by using the open/close button literally cracked the sunroof frame. The thing was made from some type of composite or reinforced plastic. I couldn't open or close the sunroof manually using the hex tool so off to the dealer we went.

Long story short, it took 6 weeks to get the part from Germany and involved a complete headliner removal plus 10 hours of dealer labor to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. You all know the dealer's hourly rate. Add another $1,600 in additional parts cost like special grease and all the other parts to rebuild the sunroof system. Let's just say my family could have enjoyed a very nice vacation in place of the cost to compete this stupid repair.

Before forcing anything else and breaking something that you cannot get to without removing tons of parts, take it in and have it diagnosed by someone who knows how the system is supposed to work. The panoramic roofs were always a problem so the dealer is all too familiar with their weak spots (good luck finding an independent shop willing to touch this thing). I'm all for diving in and doing things on my own but this one incident was a very costly one for me. Just trying to help you avoid the same.

On a positive note, it took the dealer over two and a half weeks to actually fix the darned thing and I had a brand new Macan Turbo as a loaner for the entire time. I can't complain too much.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When my pano went out, the dealer tried to charge me $12K. After some haggling, they came down to $10K. Oh, thank you so much!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:21 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kino1161
When my pano went out, the dealer tried to charge me $12K. After some haggling, they came down to $10K. Oh, thank you so much!
LOL what a deal.
Duct tape?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM
gantdd
1st Gear

Default Panoramic roof center pane wont close

Hey guys,
I am in the process of purchase a 06 Cayenne Techart Magnum and the center pane on the pano roof will not close all the way. It will close then open right back. The rest ofbthe roof works properly as it will open and almost complete the closing procedure except for this.
I tried looking at previous posts to find the reset procedure but the link would not pull up. Any recommendations?
Old 02-23-2019, 12:23 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
panoramic roofs are no fun. but ill take all the 993 targas you can send my way.
I agree, all starts with lack of lubrication, we have fixed many
Old 02-23-2019, 01:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by gantdd
Hey guys,
I am in the process of purchase a 06 Cayenne Techart Magnum and the center pane on the pano roof will not close all the way. It will close then open right back. The rest ofbthe roof works properly as it will open and almost complete the closing procedure except for this.
I tried looking at previous posts to find the reset procedure but the link would not pull up. Any recommendations?
If you can pull the fuse for it right as it is closed that might be the best outcome.. and then never replace the fuse.

Quick Reply: Panoramic sunroof problems...