05 CS - Stuck in first gear on start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 AM
dutchgirl6484
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 CS - Stuck in first gear on start sometimes

Hi -

I have had this happen 3-4 times recently - when I pull out my 05 Cayenne S from the driveway (first reverse and then drive forward) - the transmission seems to get stuck on D1 instead of D2 ... if I put it in triptronic, I'm able to change it to D2 however if I don't - it remains on D1 even as I speed up more .. if I come to a complete stop, put it on park and put it back on drive, then all the times, it comes back to D2 .. strange??

It has only happened when I pull it out of the garage and when the engine hasn't been warm, so far never happened otherwise. I do have a slight uphill incline after I pull out from the driveway ... and this cayenne has a new engine that was put in at 43k (currently it has 44k miles). The transmission otherwise shifts pretty smooth ... not sure what may be causing it .. has anyone else had a similar issue?

any advice on what to do (ofcourse besides taking it to the dealership

cheers
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 987 Posts

Cayennes will start in 1st gear when the engine is cold to warm up the cats faster. I've noticed that ours will hold the gear a little longer, but it does change to second gear as I drive on the street. It holds first gear down the driveway, which it won't do when the engine is warm.

It sounds like yours may be holding first gear until you get over the incline...

Once you get over the incline, does it shift normally?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an 04 Turbo, whenever the car sits for a while ( a week or so) it does not want to move after start and shifting to Drive. I have to push the gas pedale and rev the engine up to 3000 before it moves, I thought that it is normal since I have no other issues with the engine or tranny and it has done this since new?????
anyone else has a simillar experience?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM
dutchgirl6484
8th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Once you get over the incline, does it shift normally?
I tried again today going in the other direction (so instead of an upwards incline it was a slope ) and it again when in D1 but after a qtr mile it moved to D2 ... so it has to do with engine warming up ... am glad it is working the way its suppose to .. being in midwest I guess i will have this everytime during the colddd winters !!!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by malmasri
I have an 04 Turbo, whenever the car sits for a while ( a week or so) it does not want to move after start and shifting to Drive. I have to push the gas pedale and rev the engine up to 3000 before it moves, I thought that it is normal since I have no other issues with the engine or tranny and it has done this since new?????
This should probably have been started as a new thread, but, assuming you've already checked the tranny fluid, it may be a side effect of your ECU having adapted into "granny" mode. I have a similar problem, although it is more noticeable in reverse than drive. Problem goes away after I have the ECU adaptations wiped, but comes back as the damn thing "re-adapts."
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem, told dealer about it and they had me leave it over the weekend awhile back. When they tested it on Mon. it did exactly like I told them they said that was NOT normal. At first PCNA had them over fill the tranny w/ fluid but neither they or I felt that would resolve it, it didn't. Next step was to replace a valve internal to the tranny (had to drop the tranny) and that helped it a great deal but did not resolve it fully. I'm living with it for now, see if it gets worse.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
sigs
Racer

Does it happen in Drive, Reverse, or both?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sigs
Does it happen in Drive, Reverse, or both?
If you were asking about mine I have to back out of the garage first but I believe I also tested in Drive and it did the same thing, so I would say both.

I did get a free tranny fluid flush out of the deal since they had to drain all the fluid when they replace the valve.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old beta used to do that in both drive and reverse all the time. With that said, I would say that is not normal behavior. However, it must not be that uncommon as others have experienced it too. I figured it was a tranny valve body on its way out and images of $$ and dealership with gun in hand started running through my head.

I don't own that vehicle anymore. Good luck to you though
Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

The first gear hold is normal. It will shift if you rev it to 3k - 3.5k RPM.

This "feature" annoys the heck out of me so I bump the Tip button into 2nd gear while I roll down my driveway and street.

I look at it like this.... What is worse; a cold cat. or a cold engine turning 3k RPM? I'll run cold cats for the extra 10 seconds
Old 08-14-2009, 09:56 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep....I have the same issue. If the car sits for a while, and I go to back it out of the garage, it simply tells me "in due time, my good man. In due time." I don't know if I have to rev to 3000, but I do get impatient with it and force it to move using a heavier foot.

In every other mode of driving, the tranny acts normal so I have been putting up with this minor annoyance. This thread is scaring me into thinking that there really is something wrong and it isn't just one of those Cayenne idiosyncracies.

Just got back from the dealer after giving my extended warranty a workout on HVAC servos. Maybe I will be back.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Guys I think that PCNA should address this issue via a recall as it is not unique to one vehicle only.It good that many other fellow owners confirm this as being a common annoyance with the early Cayenne models. Does anyone know if the CS and Turbo share the same tranny?
We should keep this thread active as an evidence against PCNA should anyone of us need to pay $$$$$$$ for a failed transmission.
How do we get Porsche's attention ?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys I think that PCNA should address this issue via a recall as it is not unique to one vehicle only.It good that many other fellow owners confirm this as being a common annoyance with the early Cayenne models. Does anyone know if the CS and Turbo share the same tranny?
We should keep this thread active as an evidence against PCNA should anyone of us need to pay $$$$$$$ for a failed transmission.
How do we get Porsche's attention ?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine acts the same way. There are a couple of short uphill turns on my street that I have to stop at; it sometimes shifts to 1st when cold depending on how fast the rolling stop is.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure if anyone really reads the previous responses prior to making stupid ones themselves.

There is no PCNA problem, its part of the design as was previously stated to warm up the CATS. This is not a FORD people

Quick Reply: 05 CS - Stuck in first gear on start sometimes