Sponsored by:

Consumer Reports- don't read

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
evozine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Reports- don't read

I was really disappointed to read the consumer reports writeup on SUV's, and particularly the rating for the Cayenne and CayenneS in 2006. Apparently a Hyundai has supreme reliability ratings over a Cayenne- WTHeck. Is the Cayenne just a tweaked Audi/VW for people with too much disposable income who care more about the "P" badge than reliability....?

For 2008, the overall rating forth Cayenne is "well bellow average" for reliability. They rated the engine, transmission and electrical as very low.

Damm, I really like the looks of the Cayenne, but it doesn't seem to have the reliability I would expect. Someone please tell me that Consumer Reports had a misprint...
Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:21 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

A topic that has been discussed many, many times here. Do a search in the Cayenne forum for "reliability" and you should find some good threads. The 2003 and 2004 MYs had some reliability issues--mainly electrical. But, cardan shaft and coil packs have failed on a fair number of the early models as well. Safest bet is to go with a 2006+ model. Not sure why the ratings for 2006 were low--probably an artifact of the reputation the vehicle had gained based on the earlier poor ratings from 2003-04 more than actual problems. I have had a 2004 CS and a 2006 CTTS and both have been solid.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dont ever listen to Consumer Reports. They are so bias in their reviews of big motor vehicles. They (CR) said the same thing when I had a Dodge Magnum(Hemi). Poor quality, reliabiliyt, etc. That Magnum was one of the best made Dodges ever made. I had a first year Magnum and it was problem free.

If it's not a hybrid or alternative fuel vehicle, CR will bash it.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evozine
...Is the Cayenne just a tweaked Audi/VW for people with too much disposable income who care more about the "P" badge than reliability....?
Yes. What part of 65%/85% VAG content and labor did they get wrong?

For 2008, the overall rating forth Cayenne is "well bellow average" for reliability. They rated the engine, transmission and electrical as very low....
Hmmn, coil packs, plastic coolant tubes (they're all going to break, just a matter of time), way too many electrical TSB's and updates....kind of hard to dispute those.

Damm, I really like the looks of the Cayenne, but it doesn't seem to have the reliability I would expect. Someone please tell me that Consumer Reports had a misprint...
No, but I am willing to organize the Pig Herders to march on the corporate HQ of Consumer Reports and demand someone's head if it makes you feel better.
Just get your old cardan shafts, mount some flaming coil packs on top of them and we'll storm the palace.

If you like the looks of the Pig and it has a warranty, just buy it.
If you think about a Cayenne, you're doing it wrong.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you have to think of reliability conparatively when discussing Porsches.

My 06 Cayenne S has been more reliable than my 02 Boxster was and far more reliable than my buddy's Carrera that gave up it's engine at 11K miles.

None of them has been as reliable as my 03 996 Turbo.

So, you may lose a cardan shaft here and there on a Cayenne, but you're probably less likely to experience sudden catastrophic engine failure than if you owned a P-car with an M-96 engine.

IMO, Porsche is currently a company that rushes products to market, and may or may not rev parts that are commonly understood to have defects.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the definition of reliability needs to be studied
Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Consumer Reports uses data from subscribers to their service, making the outcome very slanted towards vehicles that older men would buy. Think Camry and Subaru.
The JD Power scores are much higher for Porsche Cayenne even though it had terrible quality scores over the first three years, it scores 3.5/5 for initial quality (2009) and Porsche rates very well as a brand overall for quality.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

People who think driving a Cayenne is equal to driving a VW SUV.... should have their senses examined. They may be getting old & numb and not Know it.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:33 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doberdog
Consumer Reports uses data from subscribers to their service, making the outcome very slanted towards vehicles that older men would buy. Think Camry and Subaru.
Oh oh. Does that mean I should cancel my order for the Transsyberia?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Well yes but not for that reason
Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
Well yes but not for that reason
If not that, then, for what reason?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And the forum estrogen level is once again off the charts...the maternal protection instinct has been triggered.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Well when they raid the parts bin to create a facsimile of a car which was half good then you are paying for racing stripes on a fiesta
Old 06-27-2009, 04:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I dont know, I sort of liked the 924 when Porsche 'adopted' it....look what it turned into, the 968, the most beautiful Porsche Harm Lagaay ever designed (his words)

Oh wait, you're talking about the Pig....never mind.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports- don't read