Sponsored by:

Options and Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options and Reliability

I am starting the serious search for a Cayenne. I know that this may not be the smartest choice (an X5 would probably be more reliable) but for some reason I like the Cayenne. It may have something to due with that strange, modified flag from Stuttgart. It may be just how nice a Cayenne drives at high speeds.

Anyways, I have been looking at ’05 or ’06 CS. I have learned from this forum that buying an alpha or beta model is taking one’s life into their own hands as all of them will experience spontaneous combustion.

There is one option I MUST have. Litronic lights.

Now there are a few options that I have questions about. The Bose sound system. Other Porsches have had issues with the Bose system and the Bose systems can have issues. Are the Bose sound systems problematic in the Cayenne?

Air suspension. It seems pretty cool. But really, I only see mild rock crawling in store for the Cayenne so would I really use the adjustable ride height? It seems like extra weight and complexity. Does this option make replacement shocks more expensive? Is the air suspension problematic?

Turbo. Really, for not a whole lot more money I could buy a Turbo. I have driven a Turbo in Europe and loved the power. With other Porsches, the turbos tend to be more expensive to fix, more prone to breakdown, and in general 50% more expensive to own than a non-turbo of the same model. And the problem with turbo cars is that boost can be adjusted. So, is the CTT much more problem prone and generally 50% more expensive to own?

Would a “standard” Cayenne S with regular springs and sound system be about the most reliable of the bunch?
-Dana
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '06 with regular springs and Bose. The car is reliable except for one issue with the ignition coils, which got replaced under warranty. The cost of owning the car is primarily from replacing tires (about every 18K miles) and brakes (about every 30K miles).

When I bought the car, I planned to keep it for long term. Thus, I believe in keeping things simple -- no air suspension; no navigation, no Turbo (or Turbo-charged insurance premium). From what I've read, these options aren't particularly trouble-prone from '05 onwards ('06 is best). However, there's no telling what would happen when the cars get older. One thing is for certain, if you need to repair anything outside of warranty, it will cost you an arm and a leg.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

I would buy an extended warranty or buy a CPO car with a Porsche warranty if possible. As for your thoughts on reliability, you might not do much better with an X5. They have a host of problems too.

I think the Cayenne S is a good option, especially a 2006 or later. That being said, my 2004 has been essentially trouble free, with only a few minor issues so far. I've never replaced the coils, I've never had any problems with PASM, I've never replaced my cardan shaft. They aren't all bad...

As for options, I agree that Litronic headlights are nice. I would get those. I also really like the look of larger wheels on the Cayenne. I recommend 20s. If you have PASM, you can drive the car in the "low" setting to make the appearance more aggressive. You can also set the suspension on sport, normal or comfort, depending on how you want it to ride. I think it is a really nice option. Others you might consider are comfort seats and parking sensors. They make it much easier to park a large vehicle. I also have the nav system with Bose. I really like the nav now that they have updated the maps, and the Bose system isn't bad. I am happy to have it.

As for turbo vs. S, I think you'll find the S has plenty of power for most drivers. I don't ever feel that the Cayenne is too slow... it's an SUV afterall, not a sports car.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Settle for nothing other than a limited edition 2007 Cayenne.

You can retrofit the BiXenons...just ask TobyPennycuff for the DIY instructions

FORE !
Old 06-11-2009, 02:11 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the BiXenons are a must-have. There's no reliability factor there. As a daily driver I'm OK without the 20" wheels. 18 inchers offer a comfortable ride, and you don't worry about curb rashes. The 20" tires are much more expensive to replace; it all adds up given the short life-span of tires on this vehicle.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

And if you plan to tow a newish trailer that comes with an LED lighth package, ltc is a veritable fount of knowledge. In fact, I think he wrote a book entitled "Driving In The Dark" to document his experiences.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Larry's widow will be starting a company that offers both Maglites AND racer's tape, each color matched to factory Porsche paint. After all, looks matter when pulling into the paddock with a Cayenne tow vehicle.

And in order to be "green", for an additional fee, the Maglites can be upgraded to a Kinetic Energy Recovery System to help recharge the batteries and eliminate disposable alkaline batteries.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, avoid the Bose sound system in the Cayenne....at all costs.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Is the standard sound system a MOST system also, or just the Bose system? Just curious...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanaT
(an X5 would probably be more reliable)
I can only assume you're joking. Some of the early X5's were the WORST.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanaT
Would a “standard” Cayenne S with regular springs and sound system be about the most reliable of the bunch?
-Dana
IIRC, the Bose system comes standard on S and Turbo so you might be out of luck. Are you sure that audio problems reported are really Bose related (Bose sound quality/technology discussion aside). I was under the impression that many, but not all, of the problems were more Becker related (maker of the headunit). Then again, maybe experience is just rambling here...good luck.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the same approach as racer_65.

We bought a new 06S with steel springs but popped for the indash nav.

We had the ignition coils issue before 20K miles (perhaps we'll have to change them at each oil change...) but otherwise it has been quite dependable. I know, I konw, I have invited the curse upon me by posting this.

I think the only reason to get the air suspension would be if the steel springs are too harsh for your tastes. The only time it has really been an issue was when I brought my wife home form the hospital after a C-section.

I have never felt like our S needed more power and I appreciate the power of Turbos as I have them in my 996.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:37 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
Settle for nothing other than a limited edition 2007 Cayenne.

You can retrofit the BiXenons...just ask TobyPennycuff for the DIY instructions
I am going to Munich Saturday. I think I can pick one up there. The 2007 SE was the one made in Munich, correct?

-Dana
Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wirunner
I can only assume you're joking. Some of the early X5's were the WORST.
Actually hadnt really looked too much at the X5. Nice looking vehicle and BMW are normally pretty reliable cars. So, no I wasnt joking..just an assumption. I guess a wrong assumption?

-Dana
Old 06-11-2009, 04:42 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SnP
I took the same approach as racer_65.

We bought a new 06S with steel springs but popped for the indash nav.

We had the ignition coils issue before 20K miles (perhaps we'll have to change them at each oil change...) but otherwise it has been quite dependable. I know, I konw, I have invited the curse upon me by posting this.

I think the only reason to get the air suspension would be if the steel springs are too harsh for your tastes. The only time it has really been an issue was when I brought my wife home form the hospital after a C-section.

I have never felt like our S needed more power and I appreciate the power of Turbos as I have them in my 996.
I have never driven anything that I thought to myself that I wish it had less power....I have driven lots of things that I wanted more power.

It sounds like the coils are the big problem. Is it a single coil or individual coils? If individual coils, does just one seem to go out at a time?

But overall, it sounds like there actually are people who like their Cayennes (and dont call them pigs, etc). That is a good thing.

-Dana

Quick Reply: Options and Reliability