Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some intel - coolant leak, just serviced.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some intel - coolant leak, just serviced.

Well folks I finally got the Pig back Friday after the driveshaft replacement and transmission control valve body, etc.

Didn't drive a ton over the weekend, but did make one pretty good trip...all was well.

Yesterday drove to work, no problem. On the way home about 4-5 blocks from the house my "Check Coolant Level" indicator came on, so I started to watch the temp closely as I neared the house...it never went hot, or anything so I thought "no biggie, I'll just top off when I get home". Pulled in the driveway got out an immediately smelled coolant, which I thought was odd, so I popped the hood, didn't see any steam or moisture, then looked underneath and there was an awfull lot of moisture dripping, didn't smell like coolant, but had the thin oily feel, so I assumed it was either that or ATF (from having the recent work done). I immediately called the shop (close to my house), and the manager drove over to check it out...he said it was coolant, so it's getting towed this morning back over there.

I know about the coolant tubes...so obviously this is on my mind - I'm at about 75K miles.

The question is: Are there any of these coolant hoses (or anything else) that's near where they would have been working on the driveshaft and possibly damaged one; had to take it loose while working, etc and didn't put it back on properly? The fluid (albeit dripping throught the various holes in the belly pans) appeared to be coming from just north of the shaft. (hard to tell really).
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
wirunner
Pro

[QUOTE=littlejt1;6636452] Pulled in the driveway got out an immediately smelled coolant, QUOTE]

Uh Oh!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by littlejt1
The question is: Are there any of these coolant hoses (or anything else) that's near where they would have been working on the driveshaft and possibly damaged one; had to take it loose while working, etc and didn't put it back on properly? The fluid (albeit dripping throught the various holes in the belly pans) appeared to be coming from just north of the shaft. (hard to tell really).
No (Coolant Tubes are in the engine - Drive shaft is under the Pig).
Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
littlejt1
Racer

[QUOTE=wirunner;6636511]
Pulled in the driveway got out an immediately smelled coolant, QUOTE]

Uh Oh!
Uh Oh is right...LOL, just don't know what to "Uh Oh" about just yet.

Again, my first thought is those cooling tubes...but I haven't been deep in the Cayenne engine...

And yes I know the driveshaft is under the car...LOL

Just makes me knowing I got it back, drove it for a couple of days and something else happens... (I know, the bliss of PIG ownership)
Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 PM
littlejt1
Racer

UPDATE--

Just got off the phone with the shop. They confirmed ye olde coolant tubes. UGH!!

Anyone have this done at the dealer and had to pay for it? Curious on cost. Also third part shop cost if anyone knows ball park. He's telling me 13 hrs of labor already...from what I've read about what has to be done to replace these that doesn't sound too far off.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

UPDATE--

Just got off the phone with the shop. They confirmed ye olde coolant tubes. UGH!!

Anyone have this done at the dealer and had to pay for it? Curious on cost. Also third part shop cost if anyone knows ball park. He's telling me 13 hrs of labor already...from what I've read about what has to be done to replace these that doesn't sound too far off.
Do a search, I think a couple of folks have posted their charges for this task. Just off the top of my head it sounds like he's quoting you for an engine drop coolant pipe job, I think it can now be done w/out dropping the engine.

IIRC Mudman had this done for about $850 not too long ago (at his dealer).

Edit: Found Mudman2's post, it's in the "Post your warranty/repair work here" sticky at the top, pg. 9, post #123. $850 from his dealer.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 06-10-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the motor does not have to be removed to install the new pipes.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
JHoffman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not 11hrs. Check the Waterpump too. Do you see any crust on the bell housing?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Also..anyone that has had this done if you have your parts list handy, I would appreciate it.

They said there's about 19-20 "parts" that have to be replaced...some seals, gaskets, rings and the like, and obviously the pipes themselves...

Guess I could just as easily call the dealership and see what they quote to do the job.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a pipe kit that comes with 2 clamps, lower pipe 2 pieces with a connection hose. upper pipes 1 piece. and a new bracket assy for the upper pipes Then you will also need coolant, as well as a coolant vent line it breaks every time. you dont have a turbo so you wont need the turbo vent line.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 AM
JHoffman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also..anyone that has had this done if you have your parts list handy, I would appreciate it.

They said there's about 19-20 "parts" that have to be replaced...some seals, gaskets, rings and the like, and obviously the pipes themselves...

Guess I could just as easily call the dealership and see what they quote to do the job.
dont have the exact list but here is what I can remember...

waterpump gasket, intake mani gaskets, special lube for the seals, new large tube (comes w/ seals), 3 connected tubes (comes w/ seals), jug of coolant, and distilled water.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I was told the parts kit Brad mentions is about $500

Add coolant and labor and the total is about $1,300 to $1,800 depending on the shop.

Sorry to hear about the tubes.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

$850 all in, 1 day at Holberts
Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Thanks Scott...I was sorry to hear about em too...hate getting a car back from the shop, driving it for a few days and something else goes wrong.

Checked two dealers in town and my local shop..apparently there's a "trick" to getting one of the pipes off...old way was 10-11 hrs of labor, new way is about 5. Momentum wanted $1800, Porsche North Houston $1595 and my usual shop matched Porsche North's price (actually went under to an even $1500.

Should get it back tomorrow...they had everything except one of the O rings to do the job and it'll be there in the morning.

Quick Reply: Need some intel - coolant leak, just serviced.