Sponsored by:

Do you use your Cayenne for hunting

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 PM
iamchappy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use your Cayenne for hunting

I am considering purchasing a used Cayenne(Stripped down like a Transsyberia) for a hunting vehicle, Anyone use theirs for hunting, Pictures of a deer strapped to the hood, or duck boat on the roof if you have any....
Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not buy an LR3? Much better off-road, especially as there seem very few Cayenne's with the air suspension, much less the Off-road package, and I've never seen a Cayenne with bigger than 29" tires. LR3 also has a very durable interior with a massive trunk, that when equipped with a hard mat is like enclosed pick-up. I think even a RRS would be better suited. Plus, the Transsyberia is actually well accessorized. I think the big draw is the GTS engine bits with the S brakes to enable the use of 18" wheels. Otherwise its packaging.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 960 Posts

With proper tires, the Cayenne does well off road. The photos were from a low demand application last fall - mostly just muddy fields, but it did well, even with 20" wheels and street tires.

So to answer the original question - yes, I do use my Cayenne for hunting.
Attached Images   
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
iamchappy
Track Day

Muddy fields and a little snow in the fields is all the off road i will be doing, i had a Suburban then down sized to a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee but the Cayenne would be more fun driving to get to the hunt and could tow as the Cherokee does not have the needed power to tow anything over 2,000lbs.
The Cayenne wont be a showroom queen after i get done with it, muddy boots and two dogs and a duck boat dripping muck all over it and thicket scratches will should beat it up nicely.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the conventional wisdom would be to get an 06 - many of the teething problems were worked out by then, and I think that soon after the brake switch disappeared making it more difficult to install a brake controller.

When you get around to installing a brake controller there are some very detailed and easy to follow instructions in the archives.

You also may want to read up on what happens if you try to tow a trailer with LED lights...

We have an 06s and other than having the coils replaced at 20K miles, it has been a pretty good vehicle. I installed a brake controller and have towed a 5K trailer just fine.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SnP
You also may want to read up on what happens if you try to tow a trailer with LED lights...
Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iamchappy
Muddy fields and a little snow in the fields is all the off road i will be doing, i had a Suburban then down sized to a 4.0 Jeep Cherokee but the Cayenne would be more fun driving to get to the hunt and could tow as the Cherokee does not have the needed power to tow anything over 2,000lbs.
The Cayenne wont be a showroom queen after i get done with it, muddy boots and two dogs and a duck boat dripping muck all over it and thicket scratches will should beat it up nicely.
I think you'll be fine in that application. I'd probably go for 18-inch wheels, so you have a little more rubber than the 20-inch wheels that I have. You'll also have more tire options. I do have PASM in my Cayenne, and I'd highly recommend it. There are plenty of protective items available for the interior, such rubber mats and cargo protectors, etc. I had the dogs in the back when I went on this hunt - it worked very well.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wet dogs, dead animals, pond scum on muddy boots?

J E E P.

The older, the better.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Jeeps are excellent for that application, I agree. Also - love it or hate it - my HUMMER H3 was outstanding for this application. I hated to see it go when the lease expired last month.

That being said, I think the Cayenne is quite capable, even if it isn't the best possible choice for off roading. For a vehicle to drive every day, and on the street as well as the field, I'll gladly take a Cayenne.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The Porsche Cayenne: The Official Vehicle for Snipe Hunting
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
sigs
Racer

I don't hunt, anymore, but I venture out off the beaten path fairly regularly for other activities, like target shooting, climbing, etc. with my pig. It is really quite serviceable off-road, and I've taken it anyplace I would have taken my JGC or ML - though not places I would take the CJ or my old Bronco. The primary limitation, within reason, is the tires, and I don't have a very good selection with my mandatory 19" wheels. Get an '06 or later with PASM and 18"ers, put on some decent tires, and go slow - until you get back on the road. If you're really serious, yank the rear seats and slap in a barrier cage to keep dogs and gear in their place. I'd sure rather see somebody take their pig in that direction than in the "lowering module, chrome 22" wheels, Techart grill" direction, but what do I know?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
iamchappy
Track Day

The real Transsyberia's have the back all open less seats which look like they have enough room to accommodate dogs and gear.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by iamchappy
The real Transsyberia's have the back all open less seats which look like they have enough room to accommodate dogs and gear.
To say nothing of the real Touaregs built for the Paris Dakar rally.... I know, a lot less prestigious than the world famous Trans Siberian Orchestra rally.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I licensed my quad (Yamaha 700 Grizzly) for this sort of activity. In Idaho for $10 I got a plate and the required "off road use sticker". Haul it near where I want to roam on a little trailer, unload it and off I go. I use it around town for shopping too. My neighbor claims he's had his up to 65 mph on the road with two people aboard, while I think it'll go that fast I'm not about to try it with the tires that are on it. I tried a H1 Hummer and a F250 truck for my off-road activities a few years back and both were too big for the small trails I like to use. A quad is perfect, these things will go anywhere.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ltc
The Porsche Cayenne: The Official Vehicle for Snipe Hunting
I thought it was mostly used to hunt the elusive Shopping Mall Cougar

Quick Reply: Do you use your Cayenne for hunting